Sharing drinks on NCL

1 minute ago, seemoreroyals said:

If NCL does not require everyone in cabin to purchase drink package I would say go for it.  It is not the same as stealing candy bars from the store or going 1 mph over the speed limit.  

No idea if rules have changed recently. Nobody, TA or NCL, has ever mentioned upon booking that the third guest should buy a package. Soda package has been purchased because I wanted to, not beacuse I was forced to do so. While, for example, MSC requires all passengers in the same party to buy packages for ALL its members, NCL does not. Could be that if you book the cheapest fare and then you want to add drinks packages then everyone must have it. But with the FAS promotion only the guests 1 and 2 get the in-the-fare-included-package and there is zero mention of any obligation for the 3rd guest to have to buy one.

6 hours ago, AlmiranteChurruca said:

On the Norwegian Dawn next summer for a 10 days British Isles/Ireland itinerary. Three adults in one cabin. Adults 1 and 2 have Free At Sea package. Adult 3 does not drink much alcohol, so just purchased a soda package separately. However, this third adult likes to have just a mocktail or a glass of wine from time to time which, to the best of my knowledge, are NOT included in the soda package. If the three of us are sitting together at any bar will the ones with FAS be able to order a second drink to hand it over to that third guest? I know that NCL's policy is that packages are not to be shared, but what I really want to know is if that rule is REALLY enforced onboard somehow. In other words, could the two guests with FAS be in some trouble if we get a mocktail or glass of wine for that third guest? Also, could we ask during dinner at the MDR or at a specialty restaurant for an extra glass of wine with our FAS and be the third guest the one who actually drinks it? I would guess they are so busy with their regular duties that they would not really care so much about who the actual drinker is but who knows, maybe they are extremely strict on this matter. Anybody has first hand experience with this? Lastly, is bottled water included in the soda package or not? Keep reading some conflicting reports on this issue. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Do you have kids?  Would you want them to break the clearly stated rules?  Not getting caught does not make the action right.

Edited by cincicruisers
  • Like 3

Just now, AlmiranteChurruca said:

No idea if rules have changed recently. Nobody, TA or NCL, has ever mentioned upon booking that the third guest should buy a package. Soda package has been purchased because I wanted to, not beacuse I was forced to do so. While, for example, MSC requires all passengers in the same party to buy packages for ALL its members, NCL does not. Could be that if you book the cheapest fare and then you want to add drinks packages then everyone must have it. But with the FAS promotion only the guests 1 and 2 get the in-the-fare-included-package and there is zero mention of any obligation for the 3rd guest to have to buy one.

I'm thinking this is because it's a European booking.  In the US, all adults in the cabin are required to get the drink package if one person does.  We also pay the gratuities for the package.  From what I understand, the total cost of the package is in the fare in Europe and there are no separate gratuities to pay

10 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

IOW, you want to know if you can break the rules with impunity?  You don't care what the rules say, you just want to get free drinks for  your friends.

You better bet that I would report  you for violating the rules.  I would also report crew members who let  you get away with this.

2 minutes ago, AlmiranteChurruca said:

Wow, wow, wow.

The 'Wow, wow, wow' is  your belief that  you're entitled to break the rules with impunity in order to share drinks with  your friend who has not paid for those drinks.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, dbrown84 said:

I'm thinking this is because it's a European booking.  In the US, all adults in the cabin are required to get the drink package if one person does.  We also pay the gratuities for the package.  From what I understand, the total cost of the package is in the fare in Europe and there are no separate gratuities to pay

Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying this!

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

The 'Wow, wow, wow' is  your belief that  you're entitled to break the rules with impunity in order to share drinks with  your friend who has not paid for those drinks.  

Once again, wrong. It is my amazement as to how some people would want to spend their holidays minding other people's business. Just that.

Really, when I started this thread I was not expecting anybody to condone any, may I remind you of this, future potential behaviour (no crime has been committed so far, agree on that?) from me or anyone else. Could it be that because English is not my mother tongue I am not making myself clear enough in my question?

Good to know you all have very high moral standards that most of you feel I am lacking of, but this is not the point of my thread. The point, I ask for a final time, is if and how those written rules are implemented or not.

Thank you!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlmiranteChurruca said:

Good to know you all have very high moral standards that most of you feel I am lacking of, but this is not the point of my thread. The point, I ask for a final time, is if and how those written rules are implemented or not.

Thank you!

The point of your thread is this:  can you break the rules with impunity?

It doesn't sound like your friend is planning on having just a few drinks but intends to drink a lot.  Otherwise your friend then they can abide by the rules and pay by the drink.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AlmiranteChurruca said:

Once again, wrong. It is my amazement as to how some people would want to spend their holidays minding other people's business. Just that.

Really, when I started this thread I was not expecting anybody to condone any, may I remind you of this, future potential behaviour (no crime has been committed so far, agree on that?) from me or anyone else. Could it be that because English is not my mother tongue I am not making myself clear enough in my question?

Thank you!

You might get away with theft. But there have been reports of people getting caught sharing drinks and having to pay for ALL of their drinks. 
 Good luck. 

• Like 3

Ok so let’s ignore the right from wrong for a second. Does it happen… yes. I’ve never seen it in the MDR and wouldn’t recommend anyone be obvious about it. Don’t get the bartenders in trouble. If someone orders at the bar and walks away with two drinks the bartender probably won’t care what is happening out of his sightline.

55 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

Better analogy would be are you ok stealing a candy bar once a week because you buy them the rest of the time? They’re stealing from NCL. I guess it just depends on where your moral compass points. To me it’s not a big deal to drop 10 bucks once in a while on a drink. 

While they will probably get away with it. There’s always a chance that ncl will catch them. Worst case their drink package gets terminated and they are charged for all their drinks. 

Another thing to ponder, NCL does read these posts and the OP has revealed a bit of information that might make them easy to track down onboard. 

I’m not going to judge. I have my morals that guide me through life others have their own. Either way may have consequences depending on the saturation. 

It isn’t stealing, it’s an absurd analogy. 

if we are really going to stick to every word as sacred… then you’ve paid for about 10-15 drinks per day with the alcohol package. I’d say a very very tiny percentage of guests are getting 10-15 drinks every single day of the cruise.  But that’s what you’ve paid for.  

As OP even suggested — consistent with the rules, someone could go get 2 drinks at a time, bring them back to the room, and pour them down the toilet. Completely within NCL rules, I could flush 20 cocktails down the toilet per day, and that would not be stealing.  But if I give a sip of my mocktail to a friend, then it becomes stealing? No, it’s a violation of their policy, but it’s not theft.  And I’m sure if I asked the NCL CEO, they’d shrug and wouldn’t care about sharing a couple cocktails. 

I’d say driving 56 in a 55 zone is a far more serious crime.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This subject may be similar to other questions about bending the rules.  NCL specifies a dress code for certain areas of the ship, for example.  Those rules may seem objectionable to some, who may wish to skirt them.  The ship’s crew may be reluctant to antagonize the customer, so they may let it slide.  The rules exist, but they may not be enforced uniformly.

6 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

It isn’t stealing, it’s an absurd analogy. 

if we are really going to stick to every word as sacred… then you’ve paid for about 10-15 drinks per day with the alcohol package. I’d say a very very tiny percentage of guests are getting 10-15 drinks every single day of the cruise.  But that’s what you’ve paid for.  

As OP even suggested — consistent with the rules, someone could go get 2 drinks at a time, bring them back to the room, and pour them down the toilet. Completely within NCL rules, I could flush 20 cocktails down the toilet per day, and that would not be stealing.  But if I give a sip of my mocktail to a friend, then it becomes stealing? No, it’s a violation of their policy, but it’s not theft.  And I’m sure if I asked the NCL CEO, they’d shrug and wouldn’t care about sharing a couple cocktails. 

I’d say driving 56 in a 55 zone is a far more serious crime.  

Your moral compass is different than mine. You do you. 

A better way to look at it is you pay for a buffet and bring a friend to share with. You paid for the food so why not give it to them??

Edited by KSSS2013
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, AlmiranteChurruca said:

Assuming this being the case again I say go for it.   By not requiring the 3rd passenger to purchase the drink package, NCL condones the third passenger to get free drinks from the other two cabin mates.  If they didn't they would require 3rd passenger to purchase drink package.  This is an issue that NCL has allowed for and until they change it again I say go for it.

• Haha 1

Ok, I actually don't think any rule breaking has to be done. The person with the sode package should order their drinks themselves and offer their card. If it's just a simple Shirley Temple or similar it's not likely to be any charge. The bartende will register it as soda water. Right or wrong, that is how bartenders seem to handle at least simple mocktails. I don't knwo about more advanced ones, like virgin mudslides or whatever, but would not be surprised if it would be the same. Technically not part of the soda package, but in practice often still given.

As long as there is no alcohol involved bartenders often have a relaxed attitude as long as you have some sort of drinks package.

• Like 1

To add another layer to this topic, or to make it even more complicated, think about the following. NCL removed the corkage fee for passengers with beverage packages and now allows you to bring your very own wine bottles (no restrictions as to how many, just wine, not other alcoholic drinks) onboard to have them used anywhere on the ship. Now picture the following situation at any onboard venue. I open this MY bottle and pour a glass to the buddy with just the soda package. How would the CC people's jury descibe this "felony"? Is it, according to some, theft too? Would I be breaking another sacred NCL rule?

2 minutes ago, AlmiranteChurruca said:

To add another layer to this topic, or to make it even more complicated, think about the following. NCL removed the corkage fee for passengers with beverage packages and now allows you to bring your very own wine bottles (no restrictions as to how many, just wine, not other alcoholic drinks) onboard to have them used anywhere on the ship. Now picture the following situation at any onboard venue. I open this MY bottle and pour a glass to the buddy with just the soda package. How would the CC people's jury descibe this "felony"? Is it, according to some, theft too? Would I be breaking another sacred NCL rule?

Why would that matter. It’s wine you brought onboard. You can do with it what you like.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

Assuming this being the case again I say go for it.   By not requiring the 3rd passenger to purchase the drink package, NCL condones the third passenger to get free drinks from the other two cabin mates.  If they didn't they would require 3rd passenger to purchase drink package.  This is an issue that NCL has allowed for and until they change it again I say go for it.

Wish I could have expressed myself with such clarity from the start. Would have saved myself from feeling right now just one step away from death row for just even considering the possibility of sharing some mocktails/wine glasses. Thanks. 😁

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

Why would that matter. It’s wine you brought onboard. You can do with it what you like.  

Aha. Right. And wine from a package I have paid for in my cruise fare is NOT considered to be MINE after paying for it? Interesting.

8 minutes ago, AlmiranteChurruca said:

Aha. Right. And wine from a package I have paid for in my cruise fare is NOT considered to be MINE after paying for it? Interesting.

A bottle of wine. Yes. 

A glass of wine using the drink package.  No. 

The drink package is for an individual, not a group. 

Do you pay for 1 all you can eat buffet and bring your friends for free since you paid? Exact same thing. 

You’re going to do what you want. If you get caught accept the consequences. 

Edited by KSSS2013
  • Like 1

Yes, nobody escapes the Spanish Inquisition! I should know about it being from Spain myself! I think I better call Saul! 😉

Anyway, thanks in advance to those of you who from now on may report some real life experiences on this matter from recent NCL cruises. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, AlmiranteChurruca said:

Yes, nobody escapes the Spanish Inquisition! I should know about it being from Spain myself! I think I better call Saul! 😉

Anyway, thanks in advance to those of you who from now on may report some real life experiences on this matter from recent NCL cruises. 

Better Call Saul: The World According to Saul Goodman: Stubbs, David:  Amazon.com: Books

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, AlmiranteChurruca said:

Here's my take on this situation:

As for wine you brought on board, that should be freely sharable.

Asking for an extra glass in the dining room? That's pushing it - and asking to get "caught" as you are asking the waiter to serve person #3.

As for the original question, I say take the high road.

Expect that #3 may be charged.

It has been said here that they may not even be asked to pay because of the soda package (for mocktails). Or, that they may automatically charge the drink to one of the first two passengers. If thses things happen, you're good - and did not intentionally do any violation.

No worries at all.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

Your moral compass is different than mine. You do you. 

A better way to look at it is you pay for a buffet and bring a friend to share with. You paid for the food so why not give it to them??

No.  It’s more like you paid for the buffet. You went, you ate the salad, soup, entree. You decided to take a slice of cake to go.  When you got home, you shared the cake with your spouse. Is that stealing?!?!

Or maybe I grabbed an apple on my way out of the buffet. Left it on my counter at home and my kid ate it the next day, did my kid steal it?!

It’s common sense flexibility.  

According to NCL rules, speciality meals include a 1 soup, 1 appetizer, 1 entree and 1 dessert.  I mentioned to my server I couldn’t decide between 2 desserts — the server brought me both.  Did the server and I conspire to steal from NCL? Should I alert BCL that their server stole? Should I apologetically send a check to NCL for the 2nd dessert that broke the rules?

Or just maybe… NCL recognizes that the rules are designed to prevent abuse. Not written in stone with no discretion.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1