Just wondering about Retreat

LB_NJ

16 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

You listed 4 items.   I didn't eat the cured tuna, salmon sashimi or beef tartare either.    But the pig's foot carpaccio is outstanding!   How can something that sounds so bad taste so good?    Everyone likes different things and I think the menu in the Luminae is varied enough to suit every palate.   When paying suite prices I do expect something a few notches above my local Applebees.   And there is nothing wrong with Applebees. 

I don't remember the cured tuna. On the current sailing I'm following that's offered with the ginger crabcakes which is probably what I had. The salmon sashimi was beyond excellent, as was the carpaccio. Too much of my life in food safety to do beef tartare. Poke, sure, just not beef.

I've always found the meals in Luminae to be excellent. The least excellent have generally been the more everyday dishes. The beef was generally average. Seared black bass was outstanding. It was designed to be an adventurous restaurant, although they've had to dial that back, which is a real pity. But it's also the primary dining room for Retreat guests. Maybe there's not as much adventure in that population as they thought?

It's sort of sounding like a lot of the food in Luminae is the same as what they have in the MDR these days.  It used to be they had upscale beef, etc in Luminae, better quality stuff, than the MDR.  I like the duck also, I've often wondered where all the duck meat comes from because they serve a ton of it, literally. 

2 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

You listed 4 items.   I didn't eat the cured tuna, salmon sashimi or beef tartare either.    But the pig's foot carpaccio is outstanding!   How can something that sounds so bad taste so good?    Everyone likes different things and I think the menu in the Luminae is varied enough to suit every palate.   When paying suite prices I do expect something a few notches above my local Applebees.   And there is nothing wrong with Applebees. 

I had the pig’s foot as well. I liked it. 

We thought Luminae was solid not spectacular on Ascent and Apex. For us the service on Apex was superior. The hostess was so accommodating on Apex less so on Ascent. The tables (2x) just seemed tighter on Ascent and on both ships the two tops were tiny and required a balancing act at times. We tried Blu on Ascent and thought the decor was amazing but service a bit slow (maybe because we weren't regulars).

Our take away is that we liked Luminae but frankly do not feel it was fully in keeping with the 'luxury' Retreat prices. We just booked a 7N Princess Sun cruise in their new suite area (basically the Retreat style- lounge, restaurant, pool) and will go afterwards on HAL balcony with their Club Orange dedicated dining. We are looking forward to trying these venues. Price for 14 days (both cruises) was the same as APEX 7 days with a non refundable fare. We would gladly cruise again on E class if pricing was more reasonable but it isn't that amazing of a product that I am going to sit around looking for 'deals' which ultimately are at the same suite price as other mainstream lines. JMHO

• Like 3

On 2/13/2024 at 11:40 AM, New Hampshire said:

We sailed on Silhouette in November in a Celebrity Suite and were able to mix and match anything we wanted from Luminae and/or the MDR.  I am not certain if this is available on the edge class ships due to the location if Luminae to the MDR on those ships.

I am currently on Ascent. Main dining room menu items are not available.in Luminae. ,Lumina is twelve decks away from main dining venues and Blu.

19 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

..... and will go afterwards on HAL balcony with their Club Orange dedicated dining. We are looking forward to trying these venues. .......

Just to set expectations - HAL Club Orange is just a separate seating area (or venue depending on ship class) with the regular Dining Room menu plus one Club-Orange-Only entree.  Service is typically better and more attentive than in the Dining Room.  Also - it is not open for lunch.  

2 hours ago, FlyingCruiser2 said:

Just to set expectations - HAL Club Orange is just a separate seating area (or venue depending on ship class) with the regular Dining Room menu plus one Club-Orange-Only entree.  Service is typically better and more attentive than in the Dining Room.  Also - it is not open for lunch.  

Yes. I am not sure we have ever had lunch in a cruise ship dining room and I am not sure what to expect in Club Orange..... not anticipating Luminae quality but also not paying for it. This dining is what HAL suite passengers get so I am thinking it can't be that bad. We are on Nieuw Statendam which does have dedicated dining room.

On 2/16/2024 at 6:21 PM, chisoxfan said:

We thought Luminae was solid not spectacular on Ascent and Apex. For us the service on Apex was superior. The hostess was so accommodating on Apex less so on Ascent. The tables (2x) just seemed tighter on Ascent and on both ships the two tops were tiny and required a balancing act at times. We tried Blu on Ascent and thought the decor was amazing but service a bit slow (maybe because we weren't regulars).

Our take away is that we liked Luminae but frankly do not feel it was fully in keeping with the 'luxury' Retreat prices. We just booked a 7N Princess Sun cruise in their new suite area (basically the Retreat style- lounge, restaurant, pool) and will go afterwards on HAL balcony with their Club Orange dedicated dining. We are looking forward to trying these venues. Price for 14 days (both cruises) was the same as APEX 7 days with a non refundable fare. We would gladly cruise again on E class if pricing was more reasonable but it isn't that amazing of a product that I am going to sit around looking for 'deals' which ultimately are at the same suite price as other mainstream lines. JMHO

We did Blu one time on Equinox. It seemed cliquey and like being back in high school to me. No more.

Luminae comment for a first time Celebrity Guest on the Edge. I had the first three dinners in Luminae and liked being able to order both the specials of the evening as well as the “classics.” The poached lobster appetizer with the rib eye steak made a great entree for the first “Chic Night.”

I went to Luminae again at 8:30 pm to eat and was told I would have to take a pager and wait so I went to the buffet instead. I never had a wait in many sailings in NCL’s Haven, Princess Club Class Dining or RCL’s Coastal Kitchen. I don’t know if this was exceptional or not, but I thought part of suite dining is not being turned away.

15 hours ago, Frenchkona said:

Precisely.  Wake up chumps and get on the right board. 

If you follow X boards there has been much comment on X Retreat and comparisons to MSC, Oceania,

Regent, etc.etc. primarily in the context of cruise value for the money. I think this is helpful as many of us sail on multiple lines and are hoping to stay abreast of current offerings and what other X cruisers think of them. There is much X comparison on other boards. If that makes us a chumps in your mind that is your opinion but I look forward to seeing what other cruisers are finding as they try different lines. JMHO

• Like 2

On 2/13/2024 at 9:57 AM, paulh84 said:

You will not go hungry in Luminae. I don't eat fish or seafood. I'm also not someone who is going to ask for special meals ahead of time. They will always offer a chicken, steak, which was mostly filet a few weeks ago, a pasta, or you can piece together appetizers for your entree if you want. 

Luminae staff will try to work with you.  One night, I had a strong desire for a hot dog and one was rustled up.  On another night, I wanted a Cobb salad and one was made for me.  I watched a couple order a pizza (from Oceanview, I am guessing).  DH and I have found that we prefer Luminae over some of the speciality restaurants.

On 2/18/2024 at 8:26 AM, spiff2 said:

We did Blu one time on Equinox. It seemed cliquey and like being back in high school to me. No more.

The problem with Blu is that the two tops are too close together.  Perhaps giving the high school dining feel.