Cunard Cancels "all??" Cruises to NZ …………… 🤔

On 2/16/2024 at 2:33 PM, Ondine said:

We just did the QE Christmas/NY cruise to NZ.  We visited the Sounds then up the west coast to Wellington, then inaugural call into New Plymouth, Bay of Islands and overnight New Year's Eve in Auckland and back home to Melb. 

While in Wellington one of the guides told us that the City Council did not want cruise shuttles going into town and so there was now only one stop on the edge near the Beehive.  Too bad for the retailers and folks at Te Papa museum where most of the cruisers wanted to go.

Two weeks later on the Grand Princess we were told that we could not dock in Wellington due to the pilots say so.  Weather related????  Was calm enough to us as we went past the entrance to Cooks Strait.

A further two weeks later onboard Pacific Explorer we were again refused entry into Wellington at the pilots say so.  We overnighted in Lyttleton and then went slowly up to Napier.  Again saw no bad weather!

While having breakfast one morning, can't remember where - maybe Napier - the pilot was sitting at the next table after taking us into port and talking with a friend.  He was discussing the problems with the powers that be about pilot scheduling and was not painting a happy picture.

Is New Zealand becoming too difficult to schedule with one thing and another?  Greenies/irate Councillors and now pilots.

I know 3 cruises to NZ in 7 weeks is a lot but I love NZ and am making the most of it while ships are still sailing from Melbourne, especially if I get a bargain.  I go where the ships go!!!!

I would much prefer NZ to the islands as I am not a scuba diver or mermaid.

But you are called Ondine?  You must be a mermaid

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

But you are called Ondine?  You must be a mermaid

mmmm I wish.  In fact I am a Pom who never learned to swim much to my dismay.  Think I've left it too late.  When I registered on CC it asked for a name and in my haste I chose Ondine meaning water sprite which sounded appropriate.  I had just been watching a rerun of Margot Fonteyn as Ondine on YouTube.

I did not mean to disparage the islands which I have been to many times.  I love IOP, Mare, Santo etc.  Love the people there.  However I usually just go for walks around the place and then queue for 2 hours to get back on the tender in the heat!!  I do wish I was a mermaid then.  Mystery Island is still a mystery for me.  Sick the first time we called, rained like hell the next, couldn't tender the next due to weather and the final time completely missed due to shutting down cruises in March 2020.  The flip side was that we went to Santo instead which was still open and is usually too far from Melb.

Not fussed about Fiji although I have done a few shore tours which were ok except that the bus drivers always take you back to their mate's shop and leave you there for 2 hours captive.  Bit too commercial.

Just happen to love NZ.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ondine said:

mmmm I wish.  In fact I am a Pom who never learned to swim much to my dismay.  Think I've left it too late.  When I registered on CC it asked for a name and in my haste I chose Ondine meaning water sprite which sounded appropriate.  I had just been watching a rerun of Margot Fonteyn as Ondine on YouTube.

I did not mean to disparage the islands which I have been to many times.  I love IOP, Mare, Santo etc.  Love the people there.  However I usually just go for walks around the place and then queue for 2 hours to get back on the tender in the heat!!  I do wish I was a mermaid then.  Mystery Island is still a mystery for me.  Sick the first time we called, rained like hell the next, couldn't tender the next due to weather and the final time completely missed due to shutting down cruises in March 2020.  The flip side was that we went to Santo instead which was still open and is usually too far from Melb.

Not fussed about Fiji although I have done a few shore tours which were ok except that the bus drivers always take you back to their mate's shop and leave you there for 2 hours captive.  Bit too commercial.

Just happen to love NZ.

It’s never too late to learn to swim, even just to confidently float on hour back, suspended and relaxed.  Magic.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2024 at 2:22 PM, Aus Traveller said:

When you visit Dravuni, make sure you pop into the school where you will be welcomed. It is for the younger children only. The older children spend the school week on a nearby island where the school can accommodate more grades. We usually take some school supplies and children's books for the school.

Evon Last time we took goodies for the school  it was holiday time so closed but the cleaner let us in and t5pook us to a room to leave the stuff   IT was packed to the ceiling with bags and backpacks which had not been unloaded   They obviously get a lot of presents - perhaps more than needed and there are other islands now that need assistance