Cunard Cancels "all??" Cruises to NZ …………… 🤔

It is a great itinerary (we're doing something similar out of Brisbane for Christmas). However, I think I would be a trifle disappointed (verging on annoyed) if I had booked for N.Z. having not cruised there before and having done at least 3 cruises to the South Pacific in the past.

39 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

That looks like great itinerary. Is this Christmas coming up?

Yes … but those on Cunard that booked the original dates aren't happy, I think it was going south to Tas then NZ etc. On the Cunard website, these dates aren't even there now 🙄

Its more about the reason to not go to NZ at all anymore … …… or so it's rumoured 🤔 

Edited by Porky55

20 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

It is a great itinerary (we're doing something similar out of Brisbane for Christmas). However, I think I would be a trifle disappointed (verging on annoyed) if I had booked for N.Z. having not cruised there before and having done at least 3 cruises to the South Pacific in the past.

Exactly what is being expressed by those who were booked on those dates going to NZ ……… all very interesting don't you think???

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Yes … but those on Cunard that booked the original dates aren't happy, I think it was going south to Tas then NZ etc. On the Cunard website, these dates aren't even there 🙄

Its more about the reason to not go to NZ at all anymore … …… or so it's rumoured 🤔 

I noticed that its on Curnard website either. I guess they took it down while they make the adjustments.  I guess there would be some unhappy campers. 

But I'm still looking for Christmas or NYE cruise. And I might look at this one rather than do Crown on 29th. I haven't commited to anything yet. 

Edited by icat2000

1 minute ago, icat2000 said:

I noticed that its on Curnard website either. I guess they took it down while they make the adjustments.  I guess there would be some unhappy campers. 

But I'm still looking for Christmas or NYE cruise. And I might look at this one rather than do Crown on 29th. I haven't commited to anything yet. 

Perhaps you could grab a bargain if those that are disappointed choose to cancel? Keep an eye on Cunard or grab a good TA - always a Silver lining 🥂

• Like 3

I've been waiting for this announcement.  Our QE cruise a year ago suddenly dropped many NZ itinerary stops.  The reason is the strict bio-regulations for hulls.  QE unsuccessfully attempted to clean the hull while we drifted off NZ waters.  Too little, too late.  All passengers on that cruise were granted half the cost of the voyage in CCs for a future cruise.  We're using ours for a Queen Anne voyage in May.  We were so disappointed for the many British and American passengers who'd flown so many hours to board in Sydney, and who were really looking forward to the NZ heritage stops and cruise-bys.  We have visited and enjoyed NZ many times, so although saddened that we were missing Dunedin, the Sounds and Bay of Islands on that cruise, our disappointment was nothing compared to those who'd not visited these iconic spots.

1 hour ago, icat2000 said:

Only thing that would really make that itinerary perfect if they included a stop at Dravuni Island

Hiya. Is Dravuni Island a good stop? We're heading there later this year and I haven't done any homework on the ports yet. Any recommendations? 🙂 

49 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

Hiya. Is Dravuni Island a good stop? We're heading there later this year and I haven't done any homework on the ports yet. Any recommendations? 🙂 

Dravuni is lovely. There is a village with around 100 residents. Enjoy the beach. Usually the locals put on a traditional song/dance show and you can try some kava if you like. If you feel energetic you can walk to the top of the high hill for some lovely views. There is also a track to the windward side of the island.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

Hey there, Dravuni Island is beautiful, very tropical and lush, we are there next week.

We have taken boat trips with locals, but usually swim, snorkel and have a massage.

Last stop there was 2016, but can let you know anything new when we get back.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cheznandy said:

Hey there, Dravuni Island is beautiful, very tropical and lush, we are there next week.

We have taken boat trips with locals, but usually swim, snorkel and have a massage.

Last stop there was 2016, but can let you know anything new when we get back.

Thank you (and Aus Traveller). Sounds good to me. We usually like to snorkel when we go to the Islands. Will be the middle of NZ winter.. so will be great! 🙂 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

Thank you (and Aus Traveller). Sounds good to me. We usually like to snorkel when we go to the Islands. Will be the middle of NZ winter.. so will be great! 🙂 

When you visit Dravuni, make sure you pop into the school where you will be welcomed. It is for the younger children only. The older children spend the school week on a nearby island where the school can accommodate more grades. We usually take some school supplies and children's books for the school.

• Like 1

If you want to walk-off breakfast (and the previous three days worth), take a walk up the hill. Beautiful views and a lovely sea breeze.

If what you say is true about cancelling all NZ itineraries, they have a couple of calls they need to cancel prior to this cruise. Has that already happened?

She is due to call in Auckland on her way to Sydney from San Fran on 10th October. She also has a NZ cruise departing Sydney on 27th November. One extra one after this cruise on 10th January.

I just think they are trying to add variety, otherwise they will just have 3 consecutive rounds of NZ & Tassie.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

If you want to walk-off breakfast (and the previous three days worth), take a walk up the hill. Beautiful views and a lovely sea breeze.

If what you say is true about cancelling all NZ itineraries, they have a couple of calls they need to cancel prior to this cruise. Has that already happened?

She is due to call in Auckland on her way to Sydney from San Fran on 10th October. She also has a NZ cruise departing Sydney on 27th November. One extra one after this cruise on 10th January.

I just think they are trying to add variety, otherwise they will just have 3 consecutive rounds of NZ & Tassie.

The cruise to NZ on Nov 27th has been cancelled also, and apparently changed to 7 day Tasmania cruises.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

If you’re talking about the cruise in December, that’s the middle of summer in NZ, not winter

1 minute ago, Cruisey And Boozy said:

But you said “will be in the middle of NZ winter…” 🙃

I did!

Ok, August might technically be the end of winter rather than the middle.. but it's still winter and freaking cold in NZ! 😋

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

I did!

Ok, August might technically be the end of winter rather than the middle.. but it's still winter and freaking cold in NZ! 😋

and usually very wet

1 hour ago, Over from NZ said:

I did!

I was talking about the December cruise that Cunard change, like in the OP. We’re at cross purposes lol

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Drumbeat16 said:

The cruise to NZ on Nov 27th has been cancelled also, and apparently changed to 7 day Tasmania cruises.

We just did the QE Christmas/NY cruise to NZ.  We visited the Sounds then up the west coast to Wellington, then inaugural call into New Plymouth, Bay of Islands and overnight New Year's Eve in Auckland and back home to Melb. 

While in Wellington one of the guides told us that the City Council did not want cruise shuttles going into town and so there was now only one stop on the edge near the Beehive.  Too bad for the retailers and folks at Te Papa museum where most of the cruisers wanted to go.

Two weeks later on the Grand Princess we were told that we could not dock in Wellington due to the pilots say so.  Weather related????  Was calm enough to us as we went past the entrance to Cooks Strait.

A further two weeks later onboard Pacific Explorer we were again refused entry into Wellington at the pilots say so.  We overnighted in Lyttleton and then went slowly up to Napier.  Again saw no bad weather!

While having breakfast one morning, can't remember where - maybe Napier - the pilot was sitting at the next table after taking us into port and talking with a friend.  He was discussing the problems with the powers that be about pilot scheduling and was not painting a happy picture.

Is New Zealand becoming too difficult to schedule with one thing and another?  Greenies/irate Councillors and now pilots.

I know 3 cruises to NZ in 7 weeks is a lot but I love NZ and am making the most of it while ships are still sailing from Melbourne, especially if I get a bargain.  I go where the ships go!!!!

I would much prefer NZ to the islands as I am not a scuba diver or mermaid.

• Like 4