Capri/ Naples

Katstang

Please let me know of your thoughts on Capri vs Naples. We are a family of four grandma, 18,22,and 26 year olds. We have never been to Europe sailing on oasis on June 9th.

thank you

Are you looking at a ship's excursion or DIY touring?

Also, what kinds of things are you each interested in?

It's possible to do a little of both, by jumping on the first ferry after arrival, then returning in the early afternoon for a few hours in Naples before reboarding.

What are your hours in port?

I am heading to Naples in May, it will be my 3rd visit and we still have not done Capri.  this time we are doing an amalfi coast drive.   

So far in our previous stops we have explored Naples, Pompeii and Sorrento

Edited by Woody14

Since this is a group of adults I suggest getting a travel book about Med cruises so that everyone can learn a bit about each destination, ie  Rick Steves has "Mediterranean Cruise Ports".   The books provide information about the history, sights to see, activities, tours and DIY options.

Some of your family members may want to see Pompeii, while others want to visit Capri.  Best to learn about all the options so they can make informed decisions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Since this is a group of adults I suggest getting a travel book about Med cruises so that everyone can learn a bit about each destination, ie  Rick Steves has "Mediterranean Cruise Ports".   The books provide information about the history, sights to see, activities, tours and DIY options.

Some of your family members may want to see Pompeii, while others want to visit Capri.  Best to learn about all the options so they can make informed decisions.

Absolutely agree by reading through the Rick Steves book.  As a long time independent traveler we have oft seen issues with family groups because some want to do one thing and other something else.  Over the year we have never found a good solution to this issue, so you either divide up into smaller groups or compromise :).

Naples vs Capri.  Truly a tough call and also somewhat weather related.  If weather turns out not to be an issue we actually prefer Capri.  That being said, there is plenty to do and see in Naples, and you also have nearby Pompeii (often a good place to visit for first timers).  It is also reasonable to combine Pompeii with a visit to Sorrento (not my favorite place).  Another option is an excursion to the Amalfi Coast, but this is not what I suggest for a first time visit.  Keep in mind that cruise line (and large tours) excursions to the Amalfi Coast will not take you down into Positano since no tour buses are allowed.

Hank

Your post isn't clear - or mebbe I'm just being as dumb as usual 🙃

Is this one of the deciding factors in choosing between cruises ?

If so ............

Naples has far more to offer, including Pompeii, Herculaneum, Vesuvius and Naples itself.

And if you're interested in Capri, it's just a pleasant 60-minute ferry ride across the Bay of Naples and plenty of time to explore. Whilst the ferry from Capri to Naples .takes the same time, it would impact on valuable time at any of the places I've mentioned, so porting in Napes wins on that score too.

Naples is normally a berthed destination, I don't think Capri can handle even the smallest cruise ship, so it would be ashore by tender.

There are pros & cons if you want an Amalfi Coast drive - Capri is much closer but involves a ferry from Capri to Sorrento then a private tour from there instead of a tour starting in Naples. So Capri likely to be cheaper but with that complication, and Amalfi drives from Naples usually include at least one other of the mainland attractions

So I'd come down on the side of Naples, but you also have to consider the other differences between the cruises - itineraries, prices, ships etc.

JB 🙂

1 hour ago, Oriolesfan8 said:

We are on this cruise the next week and are doing Capri from Naples. Taking a ferry over to Capri and then a private boat tour. Prices were very reasonable. I think our 4 hour tour is approx $500

Just to give a heads up to others, the round trip fast ferry cost between Naples and Capri is about $60 (less if you can get a discounted fare).  One can easily walk from the cruise ship port to the ferry terminal in about 10 minutes and simply buy a ferry ticket.  Once on Capri, folks can choose how to spend their money :).  Personally, we enjoy walking around Capri Town, enjoying a nice lunch, perhaps taking a local bus up to Anacapri and catching the chair lift to the top of Mt Solaro.  That entire day would likely not cost us more than $200 per person.  Of course our pricing does not include a boat tour.

Hank