Port Stanley: Volunteer Point vs. Bluff Canyon Lagoon

Lvntrvl

We were just at Volunteer Point a few days ago from the Sapphire Princess. If you have any possible way to go there, please do. It’s amazing. Check out Shaun Jaffray. He’s $200 compared to over $400 with the cruise ship. There are hundreds of King Penguins there.  

• Like 1

I cannot comment on the above tours but I can comment on our tour with Adrian at Kidney Cove Tours.  There were only 4 of us.  His ranch begins about 45 minutes from Port Stanley and besides the beautiful scenery we saw 4 species of penguins close up.  Adrian was a great guide and made sure we had a good time.  We did this tour in January.  Cherie  

I appreciate the above comments. My heart tells me to go to Volunteer Point, but my wallet is leaning towards Bluff Canyon Reserve (significant cruiseline discount). Thank you.

18 hours ago, Lvntrvl said:

I appreciate the above comments. My heart tells me to go to Volunteer Point, but my wallet is leaning towards Bluff Canyon Reserve (significant cruiseline discount). Thank you.

You probably already know this, but as a reminder to others..... cruise ships frequently cancel their port stops at the Falklands due to weather concerns. I did the research and evaluated options, but was disappointed our stop got cancelled one day in advance. It is important to make sure you will not be charged, or will at least get a full refund, if the cruise cancels that port call. 

We just completed a tour to Volunteer Point with Estancia Excursions. The cost was $200 USD, in cash, on arrival. They do not require a deposit, and you don't lose any money if the port call is canceled.

http://estancia-excursions.com/tour/volunteer-point/

When we arrived in Stanley on the very first tender, we were immediately whisked away with one other couple to Volunteer point. They use Toyota Land Cruisers and Range Rovers. So it's only two couples. We didn't have to wait for other people on later tenders. The later folks went on later vehicles. It was very time efficient.

We are on the Sapphire right now. Fortunately she made it into Stanley two days ago. We reserved a spot with Shaun Jaffray (to Volunteer Point) as mentioned above, two years ago. It was an outstanding excursion. First off, he requests no deposit up front because many ships have to cancel Stanley visit due to harsh weather in this area. Re: waiting for large crowds, our group was made up of 14 Land Rovers (4 people in each) and they travelled the same trail to and from. There was no hold up waiting for others. Caution: 50% of the ride to and from was VERY rough grass/dirt trails with frequent jarring potholes. Those with chronic neck or back issues may regret the 2 hrs each way. On a positive note, there were hundreds of King Penguins, along with Gentoo. The Volunteers present remind the visitors about respecting these beautiful animals.

Another more reasonable tour though fewer penguins to be observed, is using the local bus to Gypsy Cove, $20 each way.  
It was a magical day! The town of Stanley is cute as well.