Using foreign currency on board?

GatorMomInNC

I believe in the past (pre-covid) that there have been times while cruising where I had foreign (well, non-US $$) left over after visiting a country, and I was able to bring to guest services and they would put it towards my onboard account. Does Celebrity do this?    My cruise has 3 countries, and I have purchased some spending money for two of them (Chile and Uruguay) and I was wondering if I can do this if I don't spend it all once we finish the ports in those countries.  

There are some currencies which the ship will convert to dollars for you ( at a not very good rate ) and then apply those dollars to your account.  I am very doubtful that the South American currencies could be used that way.

6 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

I believe in the past (pre-covid) that there have been times while cruising where I had foreign (well, non-US $$) left over after visiting a country, and I was able to bring to guest services and they would put it towards my onboard account. Does Celebrity do this?    My cruise has 3 countries, and I have purchased some spending money for two of them (Chile and Uruguay) and I was wondering if I can do this if I don't spend it all once we finish the ports in those countries.  

Use it for extra tips - the ship will handle any currency for the crew. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, the penguins said:

Use it for extra tips - the ship will handle any currency for the crew. 

That is exactly what I was hoping...but they put it on the crew's account, correct, don't just give it to the crew in the foreign currency?   I could do that directly, but I know that after our cruise the ship does not return to the countries we visited (not immediately, anyway, maybe next year), so the crew has no more use for a few dollars of the currency than I do. 

2 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

The conversion rate will be poor but at least they will get something

my understanding is that the crew gets a much better rate than the passengers.

and even if that's not the case, they can exchange off the ship at a better rate.

Just try to get your money exchanged back while in the country if you can.  If you do a double exchange at the airport that is about a 20% fee.  Ten percent to change into the local currency and then ten percent to change into USD. 

Most of the shops will take USDs.  

Edited by NMTraveller

2 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

That is exactly what I was hoping...but they put it on the crew's account, correct, don't just give it to the crew in the foreign currency?   I could do that directly, but I know that after our cruise the ship does not return to the countries we visited (not immediately, anyway, maybe next year), so the crew has no more use for a few dollars of the currency than I do. 

jut give them the currency. Although it's foreign currency to you it may not be to them (or to their crew mates). Even if it is the ship will handle/convert it for the crew at preferential rates. $ are Foreign Currency to almost all of the crew.

• Like 1