Quantum in Seattle - check in at airport

I was watching a video re: cruise out of Seattle on Quantum and they said they checked in at the airport.   We are on the June 3, 2024 sailing, if they do this next year can you check in even if you come in a day early or do you have to come in that day to do this?  A big thank you to those who have done this and are willing to help me figure this out.

11 hours ago, sprint180 said:

We are on the June 3, 2024 sailing, if they do this next year can you check in even if you come in a day early or do you have to come in that day to do this?

As far as I know, no one here has ever reported being able to check in anywhere but the pier terminal.

@WeMissSeaView, is correct that the only passengers offered this service (checking in for a Royal cruise at SeaTac) were passengers who were using Royal's airport transfer to the pier.   Passengers needed to be completely checked in online, although I believe the airport check-in agent could upload a passenger's security photo, if needed.  Successfully checked-in airport transfer passengers were issued color coded wrist bands which allowed them to bypass lines at the cruise terminal, and basically walk on to the ship after going thru the security screening.

2023 was the first year that this was tried.  It was a test project to see if it could help eliminate some of the lines/congestion at Pier 91, especially around mid day.  It worked well enough that I would expect that it will be in place this 2024 season as well. 

As for the OP, since you will be arriving the day before your cruise, this option will not be available to you.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@WeMissSeaView 

As for the OP, since you will be arriving the day before your cruise, this option will not be available to you.

What if they return to the airport the next day for transfer to the ship? While we've never done this, I've heard people often do.

• Like 2

I went on this ship last summer out of Seattle. My suggestion would be to Uber or Taxi from the airport (or hotel) to ship and then have at least some pre arrangement for pickup when to get off the ship. The Uber/Lyft PICKUP location is a little bit of an inconvenience (need to walk to) and seemed like a cluster.. but if you plan ahead with a limo or car service they can pick you up closer to the exit of the cruise terminal at a numbered location.

Just a suggestion

3 hours ago, hapster85 said:

What if they return to the airport the next day for transfer to the ship? While we've never done this, I've heard people often do.

I believe when you sign up for a cruise line transfer from the airport to the pier you need to give the date and time of your flight.  I recall someone posting during a previous season that they had attempted to do this very thing, but the cruise line had said 'no' saying that it is only day of arrivals who can use the airport transfer service.

Honestly, an Uber/Lyft or even taxi would be about the same price (maybe cheaper), and you would get to the pier even faster than the motorcoach airporter.

At least on Quantum days (Mondays), it is the only ship at Pier 91, but do expect 4,700 - 4,900+ passengers, as it sails very full during the peak summer months, although your June 3rd sailing it shouldn't be too full.

5 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I believe when you sign up for a cruise line transfer from the airport to the pier you need to give the date and time of your flight.  I recall someone posting during a previous season that they had attempted to do this very thing, but the cruise line had said 'no' saying that it is only day of arrivals who can use the airport transfer service.

Honestly, an Uber/Lyft or even taxi would be about the same price (maybe cheaper), and you would get to the pier even faster than the motorcoach airporter.

At least on Quantum days (Mondays), it is the only ship at Pier 91, but do expect 4,700 - 4,900+ passengers, as it sails very full during the peak summer months, although your June 3rd sailing it shouldn't be too full.

If that is the case, it's a recent change. Perhaps since covid. I'm thinking it more likely the person in question got an uninformed service rep. Why would the cruise line turn down additional revenue?

Not debating the ease or convenience of alternatives vs the coach transfer. To each their own as they prefer. 😉

On 2/20/2024 at 9:58 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

@WeMissSeaView, is correct that the only passengers offered this service (checking in for a Royal cruise at SeaTac) were passengers who were using Royal's airport transfer to the pier.   Passengers needed to be completely checked in online, although I believe the airport check-in agent could upload a passenger's security photo, if needed.  Successfully checked-in airport transfer passengers were issued color coded wrist bands which allowed them to bypass lines at the cruise terminal, and basically walk on to the ship after going thru the security screening.

2023 was the first year that this was tried.  It was a test project to see if it could help eliminate some of the lines/congestion at Pier 91, especially around mid day.  It worked well enough that I would expect that it will be in place this 2024 season as well. 

Thanks. I didn't know how it worked for sure

• Like 1

10 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Quantum adjacent question: Is the Quantum going to be home porting from Los Angeles Harbor? 

October 2025

Any RCI ship home ported in LA will likely use the same terminal/pier which Navigator uses now at San Pedro.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Any RCI ship home ported in LA will likely use the same terminal/pier which Navigator uses now at San Pedro.

Any ship home ported in LA will also need a shore power hookup.  Quantum currently does not have that.

QUA