Linked booking, packages and no-show

Hi there,

We are sailing next month on our first cruise with royal caribbean. My spouse and my reservation is linked with another family member’s reservation in the app. 

when we booked our drink package and the key, we inadvertently booked it through the reservation linked to the other family member. Everything else was booked later through our own reservation. (we just figured out this happened this week because we asked for an emailed copy of our purchases.)

Now we have found out that the family member on the linked booking may be a no -show. 

my question is: if the other person in the linked reservation is a no-show, will mine and my spouse’s key and drink package be cancelled when they don’t show up. 

I just sent an email to royal asking if they could move the reservation to my name. I haven’t heard back yet. 

thank you 

Welcome to Cruise Critic! 

Every major cruise line has a dedicated forum for questions and comments.  In the case of Royal Caribbean it is https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/51-royal-caribbean-international/

If you post your question there it will be seen by more RCI cruisers and hopefully you will get more responses.

Hope you get it all straightened out!

No, your purchases should not be canceled.  However unless you request to cancel the no-show passengers purchases that money will likely not be refunded. Package and other purchases made through the app can be canceled (and rebooked) without penalty prior to sailing.  I agree as well not to rely on an email - call and speak to someone about this to confirm your options. 

Did you book directly or through a travel agent?  There are also implications regarding the money spent for the initial booking fare of the no show passenger as well.  If you booked through a TA they are the ones that would have to handle this for you.  Otherwise if you booked directly with RCCL, then you need to talk directly with a customer service representative there.  But CALL - do not just email!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I just got off the phone, the agent said that they can’t move the purchases to my booking ID because the packages are non-transferable, however they are booked and paid for for myself and my spouse, and if the family member is a no-show it won’t impact our packages because they are paid in full. 

16 minutes ago, neetle said:

I just got off the phone, the agent said that they can’t move the purchases to my booking ID because the packages are non-transferable, however they are booked and paid for for myself and my spouse, and if the family member is a no-show it won’t impact our packages because they are paid in full.

I understand that, and it is as I thought.  So that's good.

However, if you know that they will be a no show at least 48 hours prior to sailing time they should be able to cancel their packages without penalty for a full refund. At that late date there will be no refund on their cruise fare, but port fees will be credited.

I may have been unclear. The packages that were purchased are for myself and my spouse, not for the potential no-show. I don’t want them to be cancelled if that person doesn’t show. That’s what I am concerned about. 

5 minutes ago, neetle said:

I may have been unclear. The packages that were purchased are for myself and my spouse, not for the potential no-show. I don’t want them to be cancelled if that person doesn’t show. That’s what I am concerned about. 

Sorry, I did misunderstand that - and just wanted you to be aware there are refund opportunities for that.  You were probably clear - I was likely foggy. LOL.

So you are covered and that is good!  BTW the other comments regarding port fee refunds is also valid.

Enjoy your cruise!

Yes, what happened was that my packages were inadvertently booked through the no-show’s booking id, and I was concerned that once they are confirmed a no-show, my packages would get cancelled. 

thank you for following up and for the info about fees, etc. I appreciate it. The agent on the phone sounded frustrated and didn’t understand what I was asking about. 

31 minutes ago, neetle said:

thank you for following up and for the info about fees, etc. I appreciate it. The agent on the phone sounded frustrated and didn’t understand what I was asking about. 

If that was an RCCL agent, that isn't too terribly surprising.  While they are well trained in the basics regarding making bookings, etc., they may not be as well versed in the details regarding the app. They work out of a call center and I would venture to guess that most of them have never been on a cruise and don't have direct experience with some of the things they are asked about.  If you ever run into a wall with them, ask to elevate the conversation to a supervisor.

BTW if you end up with a no-show, those package cancelations are made directly on the app by that passenger.  The port fees will be refunded directly to the booking.

20 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

BTW if you end up with a no-show, those package cancelations are made directly on the app.  

I understand that. I am just trying to confirm that if there’s a no-show, the packages purchased for me through their booking ID won’t be cancelled if that person doesn’t show up. 

21 minutes ago, neetle said:

I understand that. I am just trying to confirm that if there’s a no-show, the packages purchased for me through their booking ID won’t be cancelled if that person doesn’t show up. 

Yep and there I go again forgetting the no-show doesn't have one - too many senior moments LOL.  

You have it all correctly - sorry again for my confusion!

7 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Yep and there I go again forgetting the no-show doesn't have one - too many senior moments LOL.  

You have it all correctly - sorry again for my confusion!

Oh goodness, you’re fine. No need to apologize! Thank you for being patient with me.

My main concern was if they didn’t show up then suddenly would our dining package stop working after we were on board. Something like that. 

Edited by neetle

1 hour ago, neetle said:

Oh goodness, you’re fine. No need to apologize! Thank you for being patient with me.

My main concern was if they didn’t show up then suddenly would our dining package stop working after we were on board. Something like that. 

No. All of your on board arrangements made through the app or other wise should remain in tact.  And if I read your question correctly (and we've seen how well that's worked out!) the only things booked through the other family member was the beverage package and the key.  As confirmed by the RCCL rep, as they are paid in full in your names everything with those items should be fine as well.

2 hours ago, neetle said:

If the other person is in a cabin by themselves and the entire booking/cabin is cancelled for a no show the packages could also be cancelled and refunded once on board. Is the purchase in the planner history under your own booking?

16 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Is the purchase in the planner history under your own booking?

In the order history it shows under “activities others booked for me”. 

7 minutes ago, neetle said:

In the order history it shows under “activities others booked for me”. 

If the price is not much different now than when you booked, I would cancel that order and rebuy under your booking number - I would not trust RCI IT to keep that intact in case of the other cabin booking being completely cancelled.

Edited by Biker19

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

If the price is not much different now than when you booked, I would cancel that order and rebuy under your booking number - I would not trust RCI IT to keep that intact in case of the other cabin booking being completely cancelled.

There’s another family member staying in that cabin who has already checked in and is coming, so the cabin won’t be cancelled completely. Does that make a difference?

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Always a safe bet.  RCCI has confirmed with the OP that all would remain, but I can't argue with your suggestion.

Print a copy of any paperwork you have right now shows that the packages have been purchased. Bring that printed paperwork with you in case something does happen. The paperwork might come in handy trying to resolve any issues that might arise once you board the ship.

• Like 2