LIVE from Discovery: Feb 24 - Mar 2

New2cruise2022

Sanctuary (Continued)

Also, the ambient sounds of wind are about all you hear in the Sanctuary. It delivers on privacy and serenity. @drwbrt and I are loving it but do question if we are a good fit for the Sanctuary. We aren’t loud and boisterous people, but we do like to laugh. 😂 

image.thumb.jpg.55bd3ccb35b268bbbe9275622c0df879.jpg

The hot tub is warm and the views are the best. Perfect place to “catch up” on our live. (So long as I don’t drop my phone. 📱 💦)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

@drwbrt what other cocktails have you enjoyed?!

@Host CJSKIDSI really loved our experience at Good Spirits last night. I had the Bangkok Mule and the Cartagena Cool. Both are expertly made cocktails. I don’t know if that’s because the standards are higher or if Katerina (I think I got that right) is just absolutely excellent. Throughout the experience she was keeping the work area clean and organized, a very thoughtful bartender.

The Bangkok Mule was nice, I think any mule on board does well because the Gosling’s Ginger Beer is excellent.

The real standout was the Cartagena Cool. It’s a rum old fashioned. The atomized bitters and the orange finish make it a super fragrant drink. The cinnamon has some real bite. I could have drank it all night. The dilution was perfect and there is more bite from the cinnamon than the rum. 

I talked to the bartender at length about the Amaretto Manhattan and her thoughts. I love it, I think it’s a nice drink, but it is very sweet to me (not a bad thing). She made me a traditional manhattan. It was smooth, but I lost each of the components. It becomes very one note. I’ll probably return to Good Spirits and finish the whole

menu. 

IMG_6467.jpeg

IMG_6466.jpeg

IMG_6468.jpeg

• Like 2

Movie Under The Stars (MUTS):

IMG_1109.thumb.jpeg.fa99bb7f2525177c74406b454f5940db.jpeg

Free movie included with my cruise. So nice. Now if I can get the local Cineplex to offer a free cruise with my movie …

Princess gets this right. 💯 

I was worried that execution would be flat or the sound and video wouldn’t deliver. No need to worry. 

• The sound was clear and understandable. Even on a very windy evening. (There are also subtitles to help — and I am a big fan of that) 

• The video board is brilliant and easy to see, even in the full afternoon sun. 
• The FREE popcorn. 🍿 Available at the Swirls ice cream corner on Deck 16. This is a rare find on major cruise lines to even have popcorn. And being FREE? Even better. @drwbrt - Do you remember if Disney had popcorn? 
• The staff is so accommodating. It was windy and a bit cold so staff was offering blankets to passengers to stay warm while enjoying. First class. 
• Movie offering is great. Recent movies like Barbie, the latest Top Gun and Mission Impossible installments (because, Cruise on a cruise), 80 For Brady, Avatar II, and classics like Back to the Future and Ferris Beuller’s Day Off. 

We didn’t stick around for a full movie, but many did and other like us just liked enjoying it while we were in a hot tub or just passing through. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Do you remember if Disney had popcorn?

Disney has popcorn.  It's located down by the main theater.  If I remember right, it's always availalble for the main shows, and often available when movies are playing (they have a dedicated movie theater). It was a minimal upcharge, but it was fresh and filled the space with a really nice smell.

Royal Caribbean also had popcorn on my last sailing on Harmony OTS. It was only available one day.  I think it was a "Carnival" situation on a sea day.  They might have even had cotton candy. It was complimentary, but in short supply.

This reminds me of one other great experience on Princess: snacks that are crunchy and salty.  Finding a chip onboard Harmony OTS was very hard.  I had to buy my wife a $7 can of Pringles to satisfy a craving.  Potato chips are available on-demand through Ocean Now. Chips and salsa are ALWAYS in the buffet and available through Ocean Now.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, drwbrt said:

@Host CJSKIDSI really loved our experience at Good Spirits last night. I had the Bangkok Mule and the Cartagena Cool. Both are expertly made cocktails. I don’t know if that’s because the standards are higher or if Katerina (I think I got that right) is just absolutely excellent. Throughout the experience she was keeping the work area clean and organized, a very thoughtful bartender.

The Bangkok Mule was nice, I think any mule on board does well because the Gosling’s Ginger Beer is excellent.

The real standout was the Cartagena Cool. It’s a rum old fashioned. The atomized bitters and the orange finish make it a super fragrant drink. The cinnamon has some real bite. I could have drank it all night. The dilution was perfect and there is more bite from the cinnamon than the rum. 

I talked to the bartender at length about the Amaretto Manhattan and her thoughts. I love it, I think it’s a nice drink, but it is very sweet to me (not a bad thing). She made me a traditional manhattan. It was smooth, but I lost each of the components. It becomes very one note. I’ll probably return to Good Spirits and finish the whole

menu. 

IMG_6467.jpeg

IMG_6466.jpeg

IMG_6468.jpeg

@drwbrtI love the Sandia En Fuego and always ask for it to be spicy.  Actually had one made by Rob Floyd when he was filming on one of the ships at Good Spirits as sea!

enjoy getting through the list.  I'll be sure to try Cartagena Cool next time as I don't think I've had that one. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Actually had one made by Rob Floyd when he was filming on one of the ships at Good Spirits as sea!

This is awesome! I will try the Sandia En Fuego tonight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, New2cruise2022 said:

The views from the Sanctuary have been amazing. Including the luck of seeing whales having a great time. 🐋

You don't get to see that every day.  And it is amazing how you can see the curvature of the earth out in the middle of the Gulf. From a cruise ship you can understand why they thought years ago that the earth was flat and you could sail off the edge.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, drwbrt said:

@Thrak @Host CJSKIDS No Luxardo Cherries onboard from what I can tell.  Mine have been coming without the cherry lately, I miss is 0%. I'm not here for the cherries.

I asked to hold the cherries also. At Crooners they were muddling both orange slices and cherry in my old fashioned.  They always were good about requests.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Crown Cruiser said:

We had the Sandia En Fuego on two different cruises. On Enchanted is was excellent.  On Sky, it was so spice and hot it was undrinkable.  Proceed with caution!

I’ll bring my own emergency sour cream. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Crown Cruiser said:

We had the Sandia En Fuego on two different cruises. On Enchanted is was excellent.  On Sky, it was so spice and hot it was undrinkable.  Proceed with caution!

There is one bartender on the Sky who wasn't not great at making this cocktail.  I love spicy but he was over the top with it.

6 hours ago, drwbrt said:

I talked to the bartender at length about the Amaretto Manhattan and her thoughts. I love it, I think it’s a nice drink, but it is very sweet to me (not a bad thing). She made me a traditional Manhattan. It was smooth, but I lost each of the components. It becomes very one note. I’ll probably return to Good Spirits and finish the whole menu. 

My grandfather was a traditional Manhattan drinker. I'm not sure he would have approved of an Amaretto Manhattan. 🙂 Anyway he would always have some chilling in the refrigerator. When we would go visit, he would excuse himself to get up and get his evening drink. I didn't care for the taste, but my wife would say grandpa pour me a small glass. And the two of them would sip their Manhattans together. After my grandfather passed when we would take a cruise my wife would order a Manhattan at least once a cruise in his honor. Now that my wife has passed, I order a Manhattan at least once a cruise to honor my wife and my grandfather. So now the traditional Manhattan has become a tradition.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Amaretto Martini in Crown Grill Bar. Verdict is still in deliberation as to whether I'd order it again. 

20240229_175840.jpg

Well then, go to Crooners and ask bartender Henry to make you a "Bugsy".  You have to like Irish creme . That is what my wife drank most nights. Henry made the best ones.

1 hour ago, nasa1974 said:

My grandfather was a traditional Manhattan drinker. I'm not sure he would have approved of an Amaretto Manhattan. 🙂 Anyway he would always have some chilling in the refrigerator. When we would go visit, he would excuse himself to get up and get his evening drink. I didn't care for the taste, but my wife would say grandpa pour me a small glass. And the two of them would sip their Manhattans together. After my grandfather passed when we would take a cruise my wife would order a Manhattan at least once a cruise in his honor. Now that my wife has passed, I order a Manhattan at least once a cruise to honor my wife and my grandfather. So now the traditional Manhattan has become a tradition.

Thanks for sharing this story.  It's not my favorite drink, but it is a nice classic drink.  I'd like to see if a different whisky makes a big difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2and2 said:

Well then, go to Crooners and ask bartender Henry to make you a "Bugsy".  You have to like Irish creme . That is what my wife drank most nights. Henry made the best ones.

Thanks fot the suggestion....I'll  give that one a try.

3 hours ago, jenf22 said:

Can you tell me what nights were Italian Night and the Chef's Dinner?

Tuesday (day 4) was Italian Night

Wednesday (day 5) was Chef's Dinner

These two nights were the best MDR nights that we had; better than either of the formal nights

• Like 2