Reflection HVAC Issues ??

bandp407

6 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I have one running in my room right now I’m constellation—they bring me distilled water for it—- 

humidified air is good for my persistent nosebleeds but may not have helped in the OP’s case

I am now thinking more along the lines of bringing an air purifier! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gold1953 said:

It is not uncommon for people to suddenly catch anything that floats by them after covid. I know several previously healthy people who are having this issue. It is probably not from the ship but from people on the ship

imho, people who are 80 probably don't have the strongest immune system to begin with.

3 hours ago, PatandStu said:

I manage to come home most vacations with a chest cold/cough. It happens in Cuba, high end resorts in Cancun & on cruise ships.  Ironically, my last 2 post-Covid cruises I was fine although DH did manage to come home with Covid - Celebrity 8 day on a balcony; symptoms started on the plane home & he did don an N95 mask for the flight. 
Fortunately, it’s usually the last day or the day after we get home. 
This happened long before Covid. 
I get a dry cough as a side effect of one of my meds; I’d love to wear a badge that says “it’s not Covid!”. 

planes are notorious for spreading germs.  A study indicated many people remove their mask in the washroom of a plane/restaurant/ elevators,. if no one else in there.  Taking a mask off to sip a beverage making it last for hours.  yup. hours.  Well, some of the germs remain airborne for a significant time.      Planes even before Covid had a rep.     

Thank heavens for retinal scan. and hey, saving money on lipstick

17 hours ago, bandp407 said:

I am now thinking more along the lines of bringing an air purifier! 

Just curious how that would help?

Lets look at situation.

Since Covid no air is recirculated inside the ship - fresh air comes in one side and out the other.

Incoming air is filtered by an enhanced system that removes impurities including viruses that are smaller than the Covid virus.

The ships crew live in more confined areas than any passenger and yet few get sick.

The air in your cabin is replaced up to 12 times an hour so how would a small air purifier that might work in a sealed environment cope with that volume of air?

On 2/23/2024 at 7:05 PM, bandp407 said:

Fellow Cruisers, 

DH  and I recently returned from an 8 night Reflection sailing and again DH ill with a horrific cough. Fine the entire cruise but started coughing on disembarkation day. We were on deck 8 and yes did smell a mild musty odor. Housekeeping Dir had the AC filter changed and had the return vacuumed. Yes, full of dust. Nearly 2 weeks later he is still ill and has seen a pulmonologist. Tests have been done. 

we also sailed on the Reflection end of November, deck 8, and similar, developed into Bronchitis. Did not report the musty odor this time& it was worse!! Stupid Me!! 

We have the Silhouette booked for April and at this point not  sure if we will go. Last year he got the Flu on Beyond and this summer on Equinox he got Covid. And now this!!! It was our 40th cruise and obviously we love cruising BUT !!! 

Is it the cabin AC for our last 2 on Reflection? Should we bring a humidifier? Any and ALL suggestions will be much appreciated! 

Many thanks! 

I am sincerely sorry your DH got sick and hope for a speedy recovery.

As to my opinion or suggestions - Given his history of catching illnesses onboard I have to wonder if the cause is a lowered immunity system as opposed to anything wrong with the cabin or the ship itself.  I have sailed over 90 cruises, 80 of which on Celebrity.  I would say that on virtually 100% of them I noticed a slight musty odor.  Perhaps he has some kind of allergic reaction that leads to illness?  Perhaps he is catching viruses from other cruisers?  Every cruise I have been on in the past year is 100% full - and sometimes even more than 100% (due to multiple people in cabins).  Anytime you are going to be around 3,000+ people (staff and crew) there will be a certain percentage that are sick, coming down with something, or getting over something and still potentially contagious.

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

Just curious how that would help?

Lets look at situation.

Since Covid no air is recirculated inside the ship - fresh air comes in one side and out the other.

Incoming air is filtered by an enhanced system that removes impurities including viruses that are smaller than the Covid virus.

The ships crew live in more confined areas than any passenger and yet few get sick.

The air in your cabin is replaced up to 12 times an hour so how would a small air purifier that might work in a sealed environment cope with that volume of air?

I thank you so very much for explaining this. I was not aware of how often the air is recirculated. This is the kind of information I was hoping to receive by posting this. I guess I am groping for a cause and solution. My husband’s first two illnesses - the flu and then Covid, well that is life. It’s the last 2 on Reflection that have us thinking it was the cabin. There was a musty odor each time we entered the cabin on both sailings. Deck 8 starboard balcony cabins. He is being tested for a whole variety of things. 
Thank you again for your input. 

44 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I am sincerely sorry your DH got sick and hope for a speedy recovery.

As to my opinion or suggestions - Given his history of catching illnesses onboard I have to wonder if the cause is a lowered immunity system as opposed to anything wrong with the cabin or the ship itself.  I have sailed over 90 cruises, 80 of which on Celebrity.  I would say that on virtually 100% of them I noticed a slight musty odor.  Perhaps he has some kind of allergic reaction that leads to illness?  Perhaps he is catching viruses from other cruisers?  Every cruise I have been on in the past year is 100% full - and sometimes even more than 100% (due to multiple people in cabins).  Anytime you are going to be around 3,000+ people (staff and crew) there will be a certain percentage that are sick, coming down with something, or getting over something and still potentially contagious.

Thank you for your good wishes! So far nothing is pointing to an allergic reaction. Agreed, the ships have been packed . We are as careful as one can be. Pending our dr visits this week we will make a decision about our April Silhouette sailing. Hopefully we will decide to go!!