Reflection HVAC Issues ??

bandp407

Fellow Cruisers, 

DH  and I recently returned from an 8 night Reflection sailing and again DH ill with a horrific cough. Fine the entire cruise but started coughing on disembarkation day. We were on deck 8 and yes did smell a mild musty odor. Housekeeping Dir had the AC filter changed and had the return vacuumed. Yes, full of dust. Nearly 2 weeks later he is still ill and has seen a pulmonologist. Tests have been done. 

we also sailed on the Reflection end of November, deck 8, and similar, developed into Bronchitis. Did not report the musty odor this time& it was worse!! Stupid Me!! 

We have the Silhouette booked for April and at this point not  sure if we will go. Last year he got the Flu on Beyond and this summer on Equinox he got Covid. And now this!!! It was our 40th cruise and obviously we love cruising BUT !!! 

Is it the cabin AC for our last 2 on Reflection? Should we bring a humidifier? Any and ALL suggestions will be much appreciated! 

Many thanks! 

17 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

Sorry to hear your DH is still ill.   It does make you wonder about the vents and filters.   Speedy recovery 

Many thanks! Everyone that hears he got sick again after cruising- why are you still cruising!!! They don’t understand our love of it. 

• Like 1

It’s just so hard to nail down a definitive cause because in all the scenarios you’ve described you and DH had to have encountered a variety of possible exposure sites. I’m reminded from countless clinical experiments over the years that correlation does not equal causation. Not very helpful in your situation, I know. I’m so sorry DH is having a rough time. Prayers for a speedy recovery. 🙏 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

It’s just so hard to nail down a definitive cause because in all the scenarios you’ve described you and DH had to have encountered a variety of possible exposure sites. I’m reminded from countless clinical experiments over the years that correlation does not equal causation. Not very helpful in your situation, I know. I’m so sorry DH is having a rough time. Prayers for a speedy recovery. 🙏 

Thank you so much! Yes, my brother said something similar- may not have been the cabin , but the ship in general. It’s just very sad and leaving us with a difficult decision going forward. Cruise or not cruise! 🥲🥲🥲

1 minute ago, bandp407 said:

Thank you so much! Yes, my brother said something similar- may not have been the cabin , but the ship in general. It’s just very sad and leaving us with a difficult decision going forward. Cruise or not cruise! 🥲🥲🥲

My DH turned 80 in September. This was going to be our year of “ let’s cruise “!  

• Like 2

No fun. I came home with the flu after disembarking Edge back in 2019. I was very sick, but caught it with tamiflu just in time. Missed an extra week of work. A week or so later, horror started. Essentially what happened is the flu caused my immune system to go into overdrive, and my digestive tract attacked itself. I went through 2 months of pain and exhibiting scary symptoms waiting for a doctor appointment in which they told me I’d developed a type of proctitis due to the flu and my body’s reaction to the infection. I was losing weight, I couldn’t eat anything without having a terrible flare. I managed to make it go away over time with natural remedies but it was so scary; I’ve never been so sick and I was only 34. Not the first time I came home sick from a cruise, but it was the worst. I hope your husband feels better soon.

Sorry for your husband bouts with illness. Why don't you visit your doctor and get their professional opinion.  A medical professional would be the best to consult rather than getting opinions from cruise critic. Hope all goes well with your hubby!

1 minute ago, JLMcruise said:

Sorry for your husband bouts with illness. Why don't you visit your doctor and get their professional opinion.  A medical professional would be the best to consult rather than getting opinions from cruise critic. Hope all goes well with your hubby!

She mentioned in her original post he’s been to a pulmonologist and has had tests done. 

4 minutes ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

No fun. I came home with the flu after disembarking Edge back in 2019. I was very sick, but caught it with tamiflu just in time. Missed an extra week of work. A week or so later, horror started. Essentially what happened is the flu caused my immune system to go into overdrive, and my digestive tract attacked itself. I went through 2 months of pain and exhibiting scary symptoms waiting for a doctor appointment in which they told me I’d developed a type of proctitis due to the flu and my body’s reaction to the infection. I was losing weight, I couldn’t eat anything without having a terrible flare. I managed to make it go away over time with natural remedies but it was so scary; I’ve never been so sick and I was only 34. Not the first time I came home sick from a cruise, but it was the worst. I hope your husband feels better soon.

Thank you for your good wishes. I too am very sorry for what you went through. As we and those around us are saying - perhaps it’s time to stop cruising! I am so torn and very sad. 

8 minutes ago, JLMcruise said:

We are seeing numerous doctors . Just wanted to put this out there …… 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, bandp407 said:

We are seeing numerous doctors . Just wanted to put this out there …… 

It is not uncommon for people to suddenly catch anything that floats by them after covid. I know several previously healthy people who are having this issue. It is probably not from the ship but from people on the ship

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Many thanks ! Not being able to pinpoint may bring our cruising days to a very sad end. How many times do we run the risk of another illness for him. 

1 hour ago, bandp407 said:

We were in a balcony cabin on all of the cruises.

I’d suggest on your future sailings spend as much time on the balcony as possible. Also masking with an N95/KN94 mask in public places. Lastly, talk to your physician about ways to strengthen DH’s immune system. Since he’s falling ill, but you’re not suggests that he might have a weakened immune system. Something to consider as we age.

• Like 1

After testing positive for Covid the day after returning home from a cruise when Covid first started, we decided to just mask up.    We are in the minority, but after seeing  so many people heavily congested, coughing and not covering their mouth, we are going to continue being the odd ones wearing a mask.   2 great cruises last year.  We too love travelling and cruising fits for now

Hope DH feels better  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tierun said:

I’d suggest on your future sailings spend as much time on the balcony as possible. Also masking with an N95/KN94 mask in public places. Lastly, talk to your physician about ways to strengthen DH’s immune system. Since he’s falling ill, but you’re not suggests that he might have a weakened immune system. Something to consider as we age.

Yes, thank you. Doctors are checking everything. 

I manage to come home most vacations with a chest cold/cough. It happens in Cuba, high end resorts in Cancun & on cruise ships.  Ironically, my last 2 post-Covid cruises I was fine although DH did manage to come home with Covid - Celebrity 8 day on a balcony; symptoms started on the plane home & he did don an N95 mask for the flight. 
Fortunately, it’s usually the last day or the day after we get home. 
This happened long before Covid. 
I get a dry cough as a side effect of one of my meds; I’d love to wear a badge that says “it’s not Covid!”. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bandp407 said:

Has anyone used a portable humidifier in the cabin? Are they even permitted? 

I have one running in my room right now I’m constellation—they bring me distilled water for it—- 

humidified air is good for my persistent nosebleeds but may not have helped in the OP’s case

• Like 1