Is it true - no streaming on Icon of the Seas TVs?

I was just reading on Royal Caribbean blog that Icon of the Seas TVs don't have the ability to stream Netflix, etc from your phone. Is this true? What about if we bring a HDMI cable from a laptop, does anyone know if that will work? 

Edited by SparklyPinkCruiser

• SparklyPinkCruiser changed the title to Is it true - no streaming on Icon of the Seas TVs?

I'm hoping that you can get to the back of the TV. I've seen some videos of suites on the Icon and it looks like the TV's are built in. I'm sure there has to be access somehow though.

NVM, I just saw an ocean view balcony review and it looks like the TV mount just pops and swings outward like on the other ships. I usually bring a universal/programmable remote just in case and it looks like you might need a longer than normal hdmi cord if there's no accessible power outlet behind the TV.

My tv on harmony someone obviously was getting to the back of the tv as it was jutted out sticking out in my way all week. Clearly someone was getting to the back of the tv. Wires didnt go back into the wall exactly so tv stuck out. 

8 hours ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

Hmmm, I'm hoping that someone who has been on Icon can confirm. It seems odd that their newest ship doesn't allow for streaming!? Those 4 channels just don't cut it!

I agree.  My trip is set for Icon as well - hope someone post and let us know.

I just bought the Meta Quest 3, watching movies while traveling will never be the same. Its the coolest thing EVER. Having a 15 foot 4k screen wherever I go is so cool!

I had no idea you could connect with your phone; I have an Iphone and there was not a screen mirror connect to the room tv. Don't know about Chromecast.

Edited by Moltar

On 2/25/2024 at 7:41 AM, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

I was just reading on Royal Caribbean blog that Icon of the Seas TVs don't have the ability to stream Netflix, etc from your phone. Is this true? What about if we bring a HDMI cable from a laptop, does anyone know if that will work? 

You need to bring a universal remote so that you can change the TV input to HDMI. The cabin remote doesn't have that capability. We got this one, and it has worked on several ships: GE Backlit Universal Remote Control  https://a.co/d/gxiJ2jf

Edited by cruisin from florida

42 minutes ago, Moltar said:

I just bought the Meta Quest 3, watching movies while traveling will never be the same. Its the coolest thing EVER. Having a 15 foot 4k screen wherever I go is so cool!

I had no idea you could connect with your phone; I have an Iphone and there was not a screen mirror connect to the room tv. Don't know about Chromecast.

Chromecast is a pain because you have to create some kind of WiFi group. We bring our Firestick and hotspot from one of our Android phones or use a travel router.

21 hours ago, ah33919 said:

NVM, I just saw an ocean view balcony review and it looks like the TV mount just pops and swings outward like on the other ships. I usually bring a universal/programmable remote just in case and it looks like you might need a longer than normal hdmi cord if there's no accessible power outlet behind the TV.

We use one of the usb ports on the TV to power our Firestick.

16 hours ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

Hmmm, I'm hoping that someone who has been on Icon can confirm. It seems odd that their newest ship doesn't allow for streaming!? Those 4 channels just don't cut it!

I was on the inaugural. the good news? there is streaming set up. it looks very similar to wonder and odyssey, where you work through a built in chromecast. you go to a specific website on your phone or laptop, enter a code and it pairs your tv so you can stream your apps to the tv. the bad news? it wasn't working for us at all. and after day three, the streaming option on the tv menu vanished. so it's possible that they intend to make it available, but it just wasn't ready yet.