Don't believe everything you hear!

shipgeeks

I love having the instant access to information that was never the case in my youth.  However....

As a veteran cruiser, I cringe at some of the things I read and see on "some other sites", with no way of knowing who is credible.

Example: "I just booked a cruise for my family, and the TA told me food is included.  Now I'm learning that we have to pay for everything we eat and drink."

Example:  "The app says there are only two shows during my 9-night cruise."

Example:  "I hear we have to dress for all the theme nights, but I don't know if we have 50s/white/tropical/80s/country-western/other.  How am I supposed to buy all my outfits?"

Example:  "What's the best way to avoid seasickness?"  Answers: "Highest deck -- Lowest deck -- all the way forward -- all the way back -- balcony only -- You can't avoid it, everyone gets seasick."

• Like 2

There has been a saying since the 1800s to the effect that you shouldn't believe everything you read. Originally referring to newspapers, it equally applies to just about any form of communication, whether print, online, or video. Cruise info is no diffrent, nor has it ever been.

TLDR: this is nothing new.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

For the forums that I frequent on CC, and as a veteran cruiser, I feel that most of the information shared here is credible.

There are opinions that differ and even though we "know" that mid-ship is best to avoid seasickness, others express opinions that never experience seasickness.

I sometimes cringe at advice shared on CC and I have been guilty myself of saying things that have been corrected or adjusted by others, but in general this forum I feel is credible because there are so many here that will steer a conversation in the correct direction if it needs to have the direction corrected - so to speak.

There are other forums however that I abandoned because the information shared is outrageous and then fighting is a common thing.

• Like 1

@shipgeeks - adverts in our newspapers are often somewhat breathless. They assure the interested reader that all meals are included, and all cabins have an en-suite bathroom, as if perhaps other cruise lines have a pay-as-you-eat policy, and shared bathrooms at the end of the corridor. So I can see why first-timers get confused sometimes! And many cruise lines advertise themselves as all-inclusive, when they don’t really mean it. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I totally get where you’re coming from. The sea of information out there can be as choppy as the ocean itself! I think it’s always best to go straight to the source whenever possible. For instance, cruise lines often have detailed FAQs and customer service for clarifications. I suggest reaching out to them directly for the most accurate info.

Regarding the food, I suppose it’s a common misconception. While many dining options are included, some specialty restaurants and drinks might cost extra. It’s always a good idea to check the cruise line’s website or your booking details for what’s included.

10 hours ago, DeclanAllen said:

I totally get where you’re coming from. The sea of information out there can be as choppy as the ocean itself! I think it’s always best to go straight to the source whenever possible. For instance, cruise lines often have detailed FAQs and customer service for clarifications. I suggest reaching out to them directly for the most accurate info.

Regarding the food, I suppose it’s a common misconception. While many dining options are included, some specialty restaurants and drinks might cost extra. It’s always a good idea to check the cruise line’s website or your booking details for what’s included.

Yes, what is included and extra cost is going to vary with each line.

So called mass-market lines have more add on expenses than the cruise lines that are in the entry to and luxury class.

Regarding @lisiamc comment about all inclusive, yes that is also something that you have to be aware of and scrutinize carefully.  Viking - our preferred line - tends to sell themselves as "all inclusive" which to me is not far off the mark.  There are only a few things that you must pay for above and beyond which one could argue are not needed by many.  Viking include "everything that you need" but needs are different for different people.  I personally would argue after 10 Viking cruises, that Viking are "all inclusive".

Also I cannot imagine that any cruise line today is advertising en-suite bathrooms?  Suggesting that this is not standard?????  Ouch!

• Like 1

A couple from today's browsing:

"If you don't take your passport ashore with you at the private island day, you will not be allowed back on the ship. There's no other way off the island, and no food, no hospital, nothing."

"If you have dinner in the main dining room, each person in your party has to leave $18 cash as a tip."

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

"If you have dinner in the main dining room, each person in your party has to leave $18 cash as a tip."

🤣🤣🤣 I'm sure they post this type of thing just to see who'll take the bait.

Give them 18 Philippine Pesos each which is US $0.31

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

The best place to get information is most often the cruise line's website.  Often you'll hear what people wish were true on forums.

I would totally disagree w this.  If you try to find accurate information on the cruise company's WEB site you will often get inaccurate information and almost always promises that the cruise company wants you to believe will happen on the cruise.  

DON

16 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

The best place to get information is most often the cruise line's website.  Often you'll hear what people wish were true on forums.

I can see why people get confused about dining. When I look at my current booking, to browse excursions, there is a large section encouraging me to "book your dining package".  So that one is on the cruise line.  But, yes, regarding what one can take aboard, what is included in the fare, and much more, the cruise line website should be believed rather than "someone" who posts on a forum.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I would totally disagree w this.  If you try to find accurate information on the cruise company's WEB site you will often get inaccurate information and almost always promises that the cruise company wants you to believe will happen on the cruise.  

DON

Can you give an example?

Edited by Theosprey247
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

11 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

I think most of the info is there and agree that, for someone unfamiliar, it takes some effort to understand info on the websites.   Forums fill-in often needed clarification or missing info.  

I was on the NCL website for the first time not long ago. I was totally confused by the jargon.   I ran info a link in the NCL forum here that clarified everything for me.   

4 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

Can you give an example?

One example on the AK cruise tours that say that you have 2 days in Denali.  This is what actually happens.  Your train arrives in about noon on day 1.  By the time you get into your room it is probably about 2 in the afternoon.  On day 2 your train leaves shortly after 1 PM in the afternoon.  That means that you have maybe 25 hours in Denali including your sleep time.  

I can come up with other examples of cruise company misrepresentations if you wish,

DON

• Thanks 1

But still better than someone who posted something she heard from a lady at the grocery store, who went on a cruise once, or at least someone's brother-in-law did, and they said.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/25/2024 at 12:12 PM, shipgeeks said:

I can see why people get confused about dining. When I look at my current booking, to browse excursions, there is a large section encouraging me to "book your dining package".  

I think this sort of approach by cruise lines to passengers tends to imply that if you do not book a dining package you may well end up not getting anything to eat or alternatively you may be charged a higher price. Then one might tell ones friends that this is the way things are on board before someone has even done one cruise.

Regards John

On 5/25/2024 at 1:19 AM, donaldsc said:

you will often get inaccurate information and almost always promises that the cruise company wants you to believe will happen on the cruise.

Even if that were true, the cruise line is much, much more likely to follow the policies they publicly post versus some rando on this website (or other cruise-related forums).

• Thanks 1