Virgin Voyages pulls out of Australia

Virgin Voyages has pulled out of Australia and New Zealand for her second season.

From Cruise Passenger: https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/virgin-voyages-pulls-out-of-australia

A statement released from the cruise lines cited the reason for the change was due to the ongoing conflict in the Red Sea.

But rumours of heavy discounting throughout the season might also be an indicator of why Sir Richard Branson’s ship will not return.

“As the safety of our passengers and crew is our number one priority, Virgin Voyages recently shared a change of course for our early 2024 repositioning voyage from Australia to the Med. On the heels of these recent changes and based on the regional and government advice we have received; we remain very concerned about potential escalations in the Red Sea over the next 12 months.

“This significant and ongoing conflict puts unacceptable risks for safe passage through the region for our Sailors, crew, and vessel (Resilient Lady). As a result, we have been left with no choice but to cancel our 2024/25 voyage season plans for Resilient Lady, impacting the late 2024 and early 2025 repositioning voyages between Europe and Australia and a second sailing season in Australian waters.”

Resilient Lady instead of sailing Down Under from her Mediterranean season, will divert to the Caribbean instead.

“We are currently working through options to return to Australia and the Asia Pacific region once regional repositioning opportunities become more tenable. We will share updates on future itineraries across the fleet as soon as possible, and if we return for the 25’ season, existing booked Sailors will have priority to move onto these sailings,” the statement continued.

“Impacted Sailors will have the option to rebook another voyage or opt for a full refund given the change in plans.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes, it's a shame. I got the impression that bookings here weren't as good as Virgin expected, hence the Velocity Points offer which we took advantage off. Their style of advertising may have put people off initially. We certainly weren't considering trying Virgin until that points offer popped up but after our short cruise we'd happily cruise with them again.

So lower than expected bookings + Suez / Red Sea transit out of action + launch of Brilliant Lady delayed = Caribbean instead of Australia. They're a business that needs to make a profit so it's sensible for them to go where the money is and the repositioning costs are lower. Hopefully we'll see Virgin Voyages back again for the 25/26 season.

• Like 6

To say I am gutted is an understatement.

This is the third cruise they have cancelled on me now.

First one we should have been on right now from Melbourne to NZ and back.

Second one in Sept this year around Greece.

Third one today for next November from SIngapore to Perth.

I know they say once bitten..... but this is just ridiculous.

I have paid in full for two rock star suites on this cruise, booked flights from the UK for three of us, hotel in Singapore for two nights prior and all they have offered us is a refund, nothing more.

They certainly don't seem too worried about building their brand or reputation I have to say.

• Like 3

I call B.S. on that one.

Convenient excuse.

Reason are probably boring itineraries and extremely limited schedules.

If it was the price of blueberries in Canada, they'd spinn a story. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, 1Rosco1 said:

I have paid in full for two rock star suites on this cruise, booked flights from the UK for three of us, hotel in Singapore for two nights prior and all they have offered us is a refund, nothing more.

They certainly don't seem too worried about building their brand or reputation I have to say.

I am so sorry to hear your story. We also booked flights and accomodation prior to our cruise in December but have managed to change some things to still have a holiday. I don’t think Virgin really cares about their customers or the problems this decision has caused. They will care if they ever decide to return - I for one will be telling anyone who will listen to avoid them at all costs -  I will NEVER book a cruise on them again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1Rosco1 said:

I noticed that, and their change of mind would make it hard to claim on insurance? The other option is to transfer to another cruise at current  prices. You have been dudded, but they have no cash. Brilliant Lady would be ready to cruise if they weren't on the verge of sinking.

Is there another ship you can connect to in Singapore to at least get something out of those flights & hotels?

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I was gutted yesterday. It's not a 2 minute job booking and planning these things, especially when it is the other side of the world for us.

I will find a solution. May do the RC one from Singapore to Brisbane then tour around the Gold coast instead and fly back from Brisbane after.

And maybe that is why there is no compensation offered as they have no cash and are on the brink. Who knows! Either way, it is now going to cost us dearly to make the changes.

• Like 3

How many ships do they need in the Caribbean?

That market must be a huge money-spinner for the cruise lines, since they keep adding more and more large ships.

More and more American's must be getting the cruise bug and many of them don't want to travel far.

2 hours ago, colourbird said:

How many ships do they need in the Caribbean?

That market must be a huge money-spinner for the cruise lines, since they keep adding more and more large ships.

More and more American's must be getting the cruise bug and many of them don't want to travel far.

No it is not about travelling far it is the drinks. One only has to scroll through the blogs on this site and see that most Americans using Virgin are only interested in drinking and partying. Doing a daily count of how many drinks they consume is ridiculous.

Virgin needs to stop wasting money on giving away free champagne at every sailaway - some bloggers even documented how many they could get whilst it was flowing - not everyone goes on a cruise to get drunk.

Edited by wintrev
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, wintrev said:

No it is not about travelling far it is the drinks. One only has to scroll through the blogs on this site and see that most Americans using Virgin are only interested in drinking and partying. Doing a daily count of how many drinks they consume is ridiculous.

Virgin needs to stop wasting money on giving away free champagne at every sailaway - some bloggers even documented how many they could get whilst it was flowing - not everyone goes on a cruise to get drunk.

Actually I've noticed that, and it's us Aussies that have the reputation for drinking a lot.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, wintrev said:

The joy of a cruise with inclusions. If it isn't user pays, it is everybody pays - whether you want it or not. 

On that though, the champers isn't free, as everyone has paid for it in their fare. Those who don't drink are subsidising those consuming 5 glasses.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 10:02 PM, buchhalm said:

I call B.S. on that one.

Convenient excuse.

Reason are probably boring itineraries and extremely limited schedules.

If it was the price of blueberries in Canada, they'd spinn a story. 

I agree. As soon as I read their excuse. It’s like blame everything on Covid. Ooh I’ve lost a button must be Covid, wait no it’s the houthis in the Red Sea. Last time I looked the Red Sea is a bit of a way from Australia. Are they cancelling their voyages in the Med?

I think their bookings are low so any excuse.

hopefully another line takes their berth spots in Melbourne. 
We’re crying down here. Every one pulling out of Melbourne.😭

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...