Unlimited Open Bar question re: specialty coffees

dmwnc1959

7 minutes ago, Auralee said:

Ok called Norwegian and it’s confirmed - only way to get the icy Starbucks drinks is to stand in line yourself at the atrium coffee bar. We cancelled our packages and will just use hot chocolate or coffee with ice cream. And buy as we go if we want something special. — sad. Really limited beverage options for non- drinkers trying to avoid pop! 

As much as I love a good cappuccino in the morning with breakfast, Norwegian Jade doesn’t appear to have anywhere in the buffet to grab a specialty coffee. I love the coffee card I had on Royal Princess, and there was always somewhere to grab a tasty frothy cup of java. I think I’m better off buying it à la carte this next trip. Princess Cruises had a much MUCH better Premium Beverage Package, a lot more all-inclusive of everything from soda to specialty coffees to alcoholic beverages. I do wish NCL would step up their game.

2 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

As much as I love a good cappuccino in the morning with breakfast, Norwegian Jade doesn’t appear to have anywhere in the buffet to grab a specialty coffee. I love the coffee card I had on Royal Princess, and there was always somewhere to grab a tasty frothy cup of java. I think I’m better off buying it à la carte this next trip. Princess Cruises had a much MUCH better Premium Beverage Package, a lot more all-inclusive of everything from soda to specialty coffees to alcoholic beverages. I do wish NCL would step up their game.

And it cost you a lot more

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, zqvol said:

No Princess has a milkshake/pop non-alcoholic package which you can have drinks delivered anywhere included and way way cheaper than the NCL drink package. 

3 hours ago, zqvol said:

There are a LOT of things baked into the ‘included’ price for Princess Cruises that are not in NCL’s Free at Sea package. For instance, Princess Premier combines all of these:

- Crew appreciation (tips and gratuities)

- Unlimited Wi-Fi (up to 4 devices per guest)

- Premier Beverage Package (all sodas, specialty coffees, teas, hot chocolate, water to go, smoothies and unlimited juice bar, and a premium selection of beers, spirits, cocktails and wine by the glass up to $20 each)

- Premium desserts (unlimited)

- Fitness classes (unlimited)

- Photo package (unlimited digital + 3 prints)

- Princess Prizes

- 2 specialty dining meals per guest

- Medallion accessory

- Reserved theater seating (for production shows only)

- NEW Unlimited casual dining meals

- NEW Room service delivery (delivery fees waived) 

- NEW OceanNow® delivery (food and drinks delivered to wherever you are by ordering on the app)

These are more in line with the Free at Sea PLUS package, but even that is still lacking.

Once I start having to buy other NCL packages and upgrades and then adding all of those into my Norwegian Jade cruise the cost gets pretty darned high, and although I may not use every single one of the items Princess Cruises offers (i.e. the fitness classes) in their package I would use the vast majority

Based on the two Panama Canal cruises I am comparing (considering all of the packages and offerings from NCL and Princess) the associated per diem costs are nearly identical. 

5 hours ago, zqvol said:

Not for my Northern Europe cruise this coming summer.   I won't repeat what @dmwnc1959 wrote but my experience matches theirs's.  I haven't sailed yet, so will withhold any further comment/judgment.

There are a LOT of things baked into the ‘included’ price for Princess Cruises that are not in NCL’s Free at Sea package. For instance, Princess Premier combines all of these:

- Crew appreciation (tips and gratuities)

- Unlimited Wi-Fi (up to 4 devices per guest)

- Premier Beverage Package (all sodas, specialty coffees, teas, hot chocolate, water to go, smoothies and unlimited juice bar, and a premium selection of beers, spirits, cocktails and wine by the glass up to $20 each)

- Premium desserts (unlimited)

- Fitness classes (unlimited)

- Photo package (unlimited digital + 3 prints)

- Princess Prizes

- 2 specialty dining meals per guest

- Medallion accessory

- Reserved theater seating (for production shows only)

- NEW Unlimited casual dining meals

- NEW Room service delivery (delivery fees waived) 

- NEW OceanNow® delivery (food and drinks delivered to wherever you are by ordering on the app)

These are more in line with the Free at Sea PLUS package, but even that is still lacking.

Once I start having to buy other NCL packages and upgrades and then adding all of those into my Norwegian Jade cruise the cost gets pretty darned high, and although I may not use every single one of the items Princess Cruises offers (i.e. the fitness classes) in their package I would use the vast majority

Based on the two Panama Canal cruises I am comparing (considering all of the packages and offerings from NCL and Princess) the associated per diem costs are nearly identical. 

Unfortunately, most of the items on Premiere list (other than the service charge specialty meals, and beverage package) have zero value to us. And even the beverage package, we would never upgrade to the NCL Plus package, so in a price analysis, I would degrade the benefit of the being able to get specialty coffee, water, juices, etc. that are not in the basic NCL package.

I never understood the fascination of eating cold room service food served to me on my bed (since there isn't counter space to place a tray). In several decades of cruising, other than a few times that we have had our butler serve us a hot meal on a proper dining table in our suite, we have never ordered room service. And I certainly don't need to tip someone to bring me a hot dog while sitting in a hot tub. 

7 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Unfortunately, most of the items on Premiere list (other than the service charge specialty meals, and beverage package) have zero value to us. And even the beverage package, we would never upgrade to the NCL Plus package, so in a price analysis, I would degrade the benefit of the being able to get specialty coffee, water, juices, etc. that are not in the basic NCL package.

I never understood the fascination of eating cold room service food served to me on my bed (since there isn't counter space to place a tray). In several decades of cruising, other than a few times that we have had our butler serve us a hot meal on a proper dining table in our suite, we have never ordered room service. And I certainly don't need to tip someone to bring me a hot dog while sitting in a hot tub. 

There are a LOT more items on the OceanNow Delivery than a hot dog. 🤣 And they’ll deliver to a LOT more places on the ship than a hot tub.

And, of course, we all travel and cruise for different reasons, with different expectations, and different needs. Like, for instance, I don’t need a Butler, I don’t need a suite, and I certainly don’t need a dining room table in my cabin.

My needs and wants are different than yours. That’s why I specifically said that when comparing the two packages for my Panama Canal cruise, and for these two specific itineraries for my vacation, my per diem came out to be nearly identical. There are a lot of aspects and really nice things that I take for granted that are part of the Princess Premier package which I’ll do without on NCL. In the long run it really doesn’t make my price any ‘cheaper’ if it’s giving me a lot fewer options of the things that are important to me. That is, unless I buy the extra packages and upgrades to equal what I am used to getting on Princess Cruises.  

The main reason I’m looking at NCL and the Norwegian Jade is for the itinerary, and that it checks off a lot of final Bucket List items. If Princess Cruises were offering this exact same itinerary, don’t think I wouldn’t be sailing with them again. That’s probably why I’ve never cruised NCL up to this point. For me, Princess Cruises is the better cruise line.

And there are a lot of reasons people order room service. Maybe they just want to spend the evening alone in their cabin, or they’re not feeling up to confronting the crowds, or maybe just want a light snack that they can enjoy on their balcony after a rough day. Room services is 24 /7 even though a lot of the venues on most ships are not. And in my several decades of cruising I’ve never had a bad experience with room service. The food has always been good. The food is always been delivered promptly. And the food has always been completely satisfying. No Butler needed. 

😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Auralee said:

Ok called Norwegian and it’s confirmed - only way to get the icy Starbucks drinks is to stand in line yourself at the atrium coffee bar. We cancelled our packages and will just use hot chocolate or coffee with ice cream. And buy as we go if we want something special. — sad. Really limited beverage options for non- drinkers trying to avoid pop! 

also try mixing iced tea with the other flavored juices in the buffet.  I mix ice tea with the strawberry kiwi juice, and a pop of lemonade.  Makes a wonderful raspberry flavored iced tea.  And of course you can make your own Arnold Palmer ( Ice tea and lemonade).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

also try mixing iced tea with the other flavored juices in the buffet.  I mix ice tea with the strawberry kiwi juice, and a pop of lemonade.  Makes a wonderful raspberry flavored iced tea.  And of course you can make your own Arnold Palmer ( Ice tea and lemonade).

Ohh great idea! I think also with the money we are saving by not buying the package we are going to buy us some big “yeti” tumblers as the drink glasses in buffet are minuscule! 

1 minute ago, Auralee said:

Ohh great idea! I think also with the money we are saving by not buying the package we are going to buy us some big “yeti” tumblers as the drink glasses in buffet are minuscule! 

We always bring yetis for water and coffee.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Auralee said:

just make sure not to fill your Yeti tumblers directly from the spouts of the machines.  Use the tiny plastic glasses to fill you Yeti ( you will get scolded if someone sees you filling you Yeti directly from spout)

• Like 3

Our situation is much like yours. 

we love the medallion on princess— being able to find your party in real time was amazing (we could track our son on the ship and know where he was and we could find each other easily!) also this allows you to order your drink or w/e and when they have it ready they just bring it to you w/e you are.. trivia ended and you want to get in line for the popular comedy - go get in line! They will see you moved!

this is our first time trying Norwegian. It looked reasonably comparable at the onset.. and we chose it because it still had accessible cabin available. This was important. Sadly Princess accessible cabins were booked up by time I had my vacation time approved and we wanted the canal for my 50th . 

We are trying to discover which cruise line is our favorite, by trying them. So far Carnival has been the worst for us. MSC was nice - changes to the drink card program with them has changed, but we loved the vibe onboard and had no issues with boat/ embarkation like I’ve experienced with Carnival. Willing to cruise them again. (Carnival I’ve cruised the most with - 3 times.. 2 of the 3 times had issues which effected the enjoyment of our trip so I feel I have given them a real chance to impress me and I’m not). - however right price and on a boat is better than not.
princess - medallion is sooo amazing . 

I am hoping I will find things to love about Norwegian! This is the first cruise we will try a specialty restaurant so I am looking forward to that. I hope the vibe is fun - but a lot of folks on here post about lack of fun themes and such.. so I am unsure what to expect till I go and find out if Norwegian is our “Jam”. 

There are a LOT more items on the OceanNow Delivery than a hot dog. 🤣 And they’ll deliver to a LOT more places on the ship than a hot tub.

And, of course, we all travel and cruise for different reasons, with different expectations, and different needs. Like, for instance, I don’t need a Butler, I don’t need a suite, and I certainly don’t need a dining room table in my cabin.

My needs and wants are different than yours. That’s why I specifically said that when comparing the two packages for my Panama Canal cruise, and for these two specific itineraries for my vacation, my per diem came out to be nearly identical. There are a lot of aspects and really nice things that I take for granted that are part of the Princess Premier package which I’ll do without on NCL. In the long run it really doesn’t make my price any ‘cheaper’ if it’s giving me a lot fewer options of the things that are important to me. That is, unless I buy the extra packages and upgrades to equal what I am used to getting on Princess Cruises.  

The main reason I’m looking at NCL and the Norwegian Jade is for the itinerary, and that it checks off a lot of final Bucket List items. If Princess Cruises were offering this exact same itinerary, don’t think I wouldn’t be sailing with them again. That’s probably why I’ve never cruised NCL up to this point. For me, Princess Cruises is the better cruise line.

And there are a lot of reasons people order room service. Maybe they just want to spend the evening alone in their cabin, or they’re not feeling up to confronting the crowds, or maybe just want a light snack that they can enjoy on their balcony after a rough day. Room services is 24 /7 even though a lot of the venues on most ships are not. And in my several decades of cruising I’ve never had a bad experience with room service. The food has always been good. The food is always been delivered promptly. And the food has always been completely satisfying. No Butler needed. 

😁

23 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

just make sure not to fill your Yeti tumblers directly from the spouts of the machines.  Use the tiny plastic glasses to fill you Yeti ( you will get scolded if someone sees you filling you Yeti directly from spout)

Thanks for this advice!

1 hour ago, Auralee said:

…this is our first time trying Norwegian.

I am hoping I will find things to love about Norwegian! This is the first cruise we will try a specialty restaurant so I am looking forward to that. I hope the vibe is fun - but a lot of folks on here post about lack of fun themes and such.. so I am unsure what to expect till I go and find out if Norwegian is our “Jam”. 

Same here, I’m hoping this isn’t going to be a one-and-done. After having sailed and loved both Royal Caribbean and Princess Cruises this cruise will be an interesting departure.

I’ve also done the specialty restaurants on both of those cruise lines and they were very good, and in anticipation of having a similar experience I’m booking a 7-meal specialty dining package (for a total of 9 with the FAS offer), with four of those evenings being spent at La Cucina. The one thing I do like about Norwegian Jade is the variety of dining options.

Not sure I’d ever consider Carnival or MSC, although if a good deal pops up on MSC Meraviglia out of NYC I may have to reconsider. Might even check out the Norwegian Breakway if this cruise pans out.  Just wish NCL had better beverage packages. 😉

😁

Edited by dmwnc1959

4 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I'm glad you added this emphasis that this was your experience, and your opinion, only. Many of us, I think, would not want NCL to "up their game" and include all of the things Princess does, because it would cause an automatic increase in the price. We've not sailed on Princess yet, but would like to. However, when I tried a couple of mock bookings a week or so ago, the sticker shock was real.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'm glad you added this emphasis that this was your experience, and your opinion, only. Many of us, I think, would not want NCL to "up their game" and include all of the things Princess does, because it would cause an automatic increase in the price. We've not sailed on Princess yet, but would like to. However, when I tried a couple of mock bookings a week or so ago, the sticker shock was real.

There’s a chance that after my first NCL cruise my eyes will have been opened realizing that I’ve been overpaying for benefits and conveniences that most people would never use. When you’re in the sheep pen it’s hard to tell when I’m surrounded by wolves after my hard-earned dollar. I’d like to think Princess Cruises has been an outstanding value for my money. And it’s a great company with some truly gorgeous ships, the Royal-class and the new Sun Princess are simply stunning. But give it a year and we’ll see where my next booking lands me. It’ll be something out of NYC so my options for January 2026 are somewhat limited, although I do see the Norwegian Jade has a Panama Canal sailing from there! Hmmmmm. 😉

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Agree 100%.  I'm even dismayed that NCL has added free drinks and shore excursions and second-person-flies-free and free 3rd and 4th in a cabin etc etc etc. Everyone who does not use those items pays for other ppl to get them for free via higher base ticket prices

I loved the old NCL where ticket prices were cheaper and everything extra cost money. Ppl complained that NCL would nickel and dime you to death, but to me that is the absolute most fair system. Tickets are as low-cost as possible, and then everyone pays for the extras that they personally consume beyond that

All of these "free" things are built into the price based on average consumption. I am an under-consumer on drinks, so part of my base ticket money goes to allow other people to drink more for free. Similar with shore excursions and free flights. I use these sparingly or not at all, but I pay more so others can have them for free

On the other hand, I'm an over-consumer for wifi - I have to work a lot while I'm onboard. Why should someone who's unplugging for the week pay more so I can get free wifi? And why should they pay more for their ticket so I can have free specialty dinners even though they might not want them?

I much prefer ala carte pricing. I actually think the airlines are getting it right. Why should someone who doesn't mind the middle seat and is only flying with a briefcase pay more so someone else can check two bags and get an aisle seat at the front for free? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Same here, I’m hoping this isn’t going to be a one-and-done. After having sailed and loved both Royal Caribbean and Princess Cruises this cruise will be an interesting departure.

I’ve also done the specialty restaurants on both of those cruise lines and they were very good, and in anticipation of having a similar experience I’m booking a 7-meal specialty dining package (for a total of 9 with the FAS offer), with four of those evenings being spent at La Cucina. The one thing I do like about Norwegian Jade is the variety of dining options.

Not sure I’d ever consider Carnival or MSC, although if a good deal pops up on MSC Meraviglia out of NYC I may have to reconsider. Might even check out the Norwegian Breakway if this cruise pans out.  Just wish NCL had better beverage packages. 😉

😁

I would happily sail with MSC again. Just wish they had west coast offerings! (Had hoped they’d do Panama Canal too lol). They were very fun. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I never understood the fascination of eating cold room service food served to me on my bed (since there isn't counter space to place a tray). ... And I certainly don't need to tip someone to bring me a hot dog while sitting in a hot tub. 

I like this! 😄

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

😁

You have come here pre-dispositioned against ncl. Endless quotes about how everyone else is better. Not very open minded. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I’m hoping this isn’t going to be a one-and-done

Your attitude makes that end inevitable. It will be one-and-done because that is what you're expecting.

12 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Just wish NCL had better beverage packages.

As opposed to?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You have come here pre-dispositioned against ncl. Endless quotes about how everyone else is better. Not very open minded. 

It’s not so much as me being pre-dispositioned against NCL, I would not have already booked the Norwegian Jade and sat here for countless hours checking out NCL shore excursions and putting online goodies into my shipboard basket otherwise. That’s being very open-minded.

It’s an attempt by me to place those who love NCL on offensive to defend the product and tell me what’s good (or great) about it. The best defense is a good offense. Nothing wrong with that.

😁

Edited by dmwnc1959

6 hours ago, FPMoosally said:

Your attitude makes that end inevitable. It will be one-and-done because that is what you're expecting.

As opposed to?

That’s funny because I’m already looking at Norwegian Breakaway out of New York. 🤣

As opposed to? Comparing NCL against other cruise lines beverage packages. The ones that seem to be more all-inclusive, or offer a better combination of non-alcoholic beverages like specialty coffees, tea, soda, smoothies, etc.

On 2/28/2024 at 6:41 PM, PATRLR said:

I'm not sure it's possible to ruin NCL's soft serve.  How would you know it's ruined?  My thought was it sounded like a way to ruin a cup of coffee... 😉

Agree to both of those thoughts! I actually did put some soft serve in my coffee one day at Star, and seeing what it looked like when it was supposed to melt made me wonder what weird chemicals it consisted of! (Still better/less bad than chocolate sauce on those yummy "cobblers" (more like crumble pie) they served most days though. Chocolate sauce????)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

7 hours ago, FPMoosally said:

Yet I’m still here asking questions, digging for answers on what’s good, applied for and been approved for the NCL BofA Mastercard, still trying to decide if I want to buy the 🍪 cookies 🍪 from the online store 😉, poring over restaurant menus and picking out my meals, and studying the Norwegian Jade on MarineTraffic and checking out the bridge cam. Me, being all sorts of open-minded with an actual positive outlook. Wow. 

Have you seen this thread… 🤣

• Haha 1