Cork tours that don’t include Blarney Castle or Kinsale

I was in Ireland in the fall for almost two weeks and saw most of the major attractions from Dublin down and across to Galway. In July I’m going on an Iceland/ Ireland cruise that stops in Cork and Waterford. Any tours that are off the beaten path? Thanks 

11 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

I was in Ireland in the fall for almost two weeks and saw most of the major attractions from Dublin down and across to Galway. In July I’m going on an Iceland/ Ireland cruise that stops in Cork and Waterford. Any tours that are off the beaten path? Thanks 

Waterford Crystal in Waterford. Most cruise lines have an excursion there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

How long is your ship docked/tendering.  Waterford or Dunmore East?

Some suggestions:  Rock of Cashel and Cahir Castle, Mount Congreve House and Gardens,    Clonakilty, Cork City HoHo, Spike Island, Bantry House, Gougane Barra, Jameson Distillery Midleton,

What are your interests?

We are docking in Dunmore East. I went to rock of Cashel on the last trip and loved it, but don’t need to do it again. I will look into your other suggestions. I’m interested in history, art and architecture, but definitely want to go to AA pub to have a pint. Not sure if there is trad music midday? We are docked 8-6. Thanks for your reply

2 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Did you already explore Cobh while in the Cork area?  Lovely little town to spend a day.

I did not, and I’m considering doing so. I’m also considering a walking tour of cork centre. Besides the Titanic themed tours etc in Cobh, what else would you recommend?

2 hours ago, tony s said:

Waterford Crystal in Waterford. Most cruise lines have an excursion there.

I am thinking about that. I’m not into crystal and have seen a number of glass exhibits in my travels, but I’m sure The Waterford tour has something to offer. Thank you

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

I did not, and I’m considering doing so. I’m also considering a walking tour of cork centre. Besides the Titanic themed tours etc in Cobh, what else would you recommend?

Definitely do the Titanic Experience and the Heritage Center.  Walk JFK Park. Walk up the hill and photograph the colorful row houses with the Cathedral behind them.  Walk up to the Cathedral and visit.  Look at the statues/monuments memorializing the historical events of the town.  Shop a little. Have a Guiness at a pub.  Sit along the waterfront and soak it in.  Take a boat tour to Spike Island.  You can easily reach Cobh via train from Cork.  The train station is right in town beside the Heritage Center.  I didn't find a need for a formal tour for any of this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Definitely do the Titanic Experience and the Heritage Center.  Walk JFK Park. Walk up the hill and photograph the colorful row houses with the Cathedral behind them.  Walk up to the Cathedral and visit.  Look at the statues/monuments memorializing the historical events of the town.  Shop a little. Have a Guiness at a pub.  Sit along the waterfront and soak it in.  Take a boat tour to Spike Island.  You can easily reach Cobh via train from Cork.  The train station is right in town beside the Heritage Center.  I didn't find a need for a formal tour for any of this.

Wonderful suggestions, thank you

• 1 month later...

We will be in Cobh on Apex May 12 which is a Sunday 8am to 4pm. Do you know if there will be any Pubs open so my hubby can get his Guinness? We are looking forward to walking around and seeing the beautiful area of Cobh. We have watched a few YouTubes and it really looks interesting.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, shay1 said:

We will be in Cobh on Apex May 12 which is a Sunday 8am to 4pm. Do you know if there will be any Pubs open so my hubby can get his Guinness? We are looking forward to walking around and seeing the beautiful area of Cobh. We have watched a few YouTubes and it really looks interesting.

Thank you.

They will be open from 12.30pm until 11pm.  Will that be enought time for him?  I know a couple of 'late houses' if he needs a few more (and the ship is still in port 😉)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

We are looking to visit the Jamieson distillery at Middleton. Can you pick up a taxi in Cork or is it best to prebook one, and if so does anyone know of a good taxi company to use please?

Are you docking in Cobh?  There will be taxis at the Cobh terminal.No need to go to Cork. 

Cobh to Midleton is possible by train, but takes a little planning. One change each way.