PG in Bora Bora

I understand that the PG has a free beach in Bora Bora.  Our cruise will be there for 2 days.  Will the beach be open both days?  Should we plan a tour for snorkeling, or is the beach good for this?  Or should we plan some other type of excursion?

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

• Like 1

The beach is beautiful and usually available both days.  There are no bathrooms, no food, and a very limited amount of chairs.  They do have a cooler with some drinks.  There is little shade.  You should definitely do some type of snorkel/lagoon tour on one day (some are full day, some are half day) and then spend an hour or two in town (at the tender location) to shop/look around.

From what I have seen most who go to the motu stay for only a couple of hours, at most.  The snorkeling is average at best as most of the water is crystal clear with a sandy bottom.

• Like 1

Hi 🙂

Being that we also had the overnight in Bora Bora, it gave us the opportunity to get back to the ship later than usual on the first day, so we did an afternoon snorkel with H2oBoraBora which was great, highly recommend 

https://boraborah2o.com/index.html

We went to a large coral garden, then off to find Manta Rays, after we went to a lagoonarium, very beautiful - next, our guide found a group of eagle rays that we swam over, tracking them a bit, so serene and graceful 😊 We had a good time and felt we saw a lot. Unfortunately, the next afternoon was the only rain we had all week and missed the private beach.

I would add that if you go on any snorkel excursions, you should bring your Paul Gauguin snorkel gear with you, even though the private companies say they can provide equipment, it was much easier to use your own stuff that you've already fitted and is good quality. 

Defintely book a lagoon snorkel trip.

You will be amazed at the variety of fish and rays. Also the variety of over-water hotels on the motus are worth seeing.

The Bora Bora motu is nothing like PG's motu on Taha'a. Little service - not much to see.

• Like 1

Has anyone gone out to dinner in Bora Bora that first night? We love to take advantage of late nights in ports and finding a great local restaurant is right up our alley. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

You might want to check to see if the Bora Bora motu is back in operation. It was not available a few months ago and they were taking people to Matira Beach 

Thanks so much! I’ll give PG a call.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 4:44 PM, TheDarkestBlue said:

Hi 🙂

Being that we also had the overnight in Bora Bora, it gave us the opportunity to get back to the ship later than usual on the first day, so we did an afternoon snorkel with H2oBoraBora which was great, highly recommend 

https://boraborah2o.com/index.html

We went to a large coral garden, then off to find Manta Rays, after we went to a lagoonarium, very beautiful - next, our guide found a group of eagle rays that we swam over, tracking them a bit, so serene and graceful 😊 We had a good time and felt we saw a lot. Unfortunately, the next afternoon was the only rain we had all week and missed the private beach.

I would add that if you go on any snorkel excursions, you should bring your Paul Gauguin snorkel gear with you, even though the private companies say they can provide equipment, it was much easier to use your own stuff that you've already fitted and is good quality. 

Thanks for the recommendation! We will be on Bora Bora for two days in January. I have emailed with h2o and need to choose when to set up our snorkel 1/2 day tour with them. I can choose either day, morning or afternoon. What would you recommend? I do want to go out to dinner the first evening off ship but other than that we have no plans. 😁

1 hour ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

Thanks for the recommendation! We will be on Bora Bora for two days in January. I have emailed with h2o and need to choose when to set up our snorkel 1/2 day tour with them. I can choose either day, morning or afternoon. What would you recommend? I do want to go out to dinner the first evening off ship but other than that we have no plans. 😁

The snorkel trip was so beautiful, but I was pretty physically and mentally wiped, just wanted to shower and have an easy meal, so ymmv. I guess it depends on how physically fit you are, and how fresh you would like to be for your night out? I chose the afternoon because we had early morning excursions all week, and wanted a day to sleep in - he dropped us off last, as the sun was setting, very pretty. The mornings are suppose to be better at finding the manta rays, they hang out by the channel, we swam over, visibility was a bit low and they were nowhere to be found, no problem for us, we had seen so much and got to track the eagle rays, see below. If you are in touch with Aimee at h2o, please tell her the lady with the beans says hello 🙂

P6130111.JPG

• Thanks 1

Well considering I haven’t really ever snorkeled and am pretty lazy in my normal life I better pick going out on the second day! Thanks so much for your input. I will definitely tell her hello!

• Like 1

Also consider whether you want to eat at Le Grill on the pool deck during your cruise.  The best evenings to do this are during the overnight (when the boat is at anchor and not moving) on either Bora Bora or Moorea, presuming you have an overnight at both.  Ideally I would try not to do this on the Polynesian night as all dining venues have the same menu on that one night.

• Like 2