fire on star

Host CJSKIDS

Dear Drumline and fiance, thank you so much for your post. I have tears in my eyes. What a very wonderful tribute to the Princess crew. In all of the hustle and bustle they all were probably totally frightened as well.

I was thinking last evening about all of our Princess cruises and how though some of the same crew have been on our cruises, each cruise just seems like a visit with family. We have been blessed I guess. We have always had very kind and helpful stewards, and in general all of the cruisestaff and by the end of the cruise with them, they are like family to us.That is the reason that we stick with Princess (though we are taking our first HAL cruise this summer for a meeting;) ).

I also hope that you send a copy of your post to Princess. For all of the things that do not go right, and there will always be some, I am sure that this will reinforce the pride in their staff.It also reassures me that safety truly is always first with them. We have sailed with Captain Yeomans and he is a marvelous and down to earth Captain.

I would say that you and your fiance have endured one hill along the road of marriage fantastically.Your attitude through this rocky road is wonderful and will serve you well throughout your marriage. Blessings for a very happy lifetime together!:D

Linda

I've been having the same problem. Then I get a message box that "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down" Then it shuts down the site. I have no problem with any of the other pages on that post. Just page 8.

To Drumline and all those affected -

I'm sorry to hear about the loss during the cruise, but glad that it was not much worse.

Fire is such a fear, whether you are on sea or land. My heart goes out to all, but I appreciate the candid information from those affected.

We have not cruised Princess yet, but have been tossing it around for our next one. Glad to hear that they really are top notch!

My entire family is scheduled to cruise on the Star Princess on April 16th. We are staying close to the phone and web to hear from our travel agent or cruisecritic to see if we will. Fortunately our cabins are on the other side of the ship. Before all of this happened I asked my parents who I should put down in case of an emergency since we have no next of kin not going on the cruise. I can't imagine how I would feel if this happened when we were all on the ship. Our travel agent has been very good about calling whenever she gets an update from Carnival or Princess on the status of the ship and decisions being made. They do know how the fire started (which was someone's previous assumption) and they do know the extent of the damage and how long it will take to repair it enough to keep cruising. They just aren't telling the public. They have to give the travel agents a certain amount of information to appease their clients who are supposed to cruise in the next few weeks/months. I am keeping my fingers crossed and will let everyone know what I find out.

just wanted to add my thanks to everyone who was on the star and who posted their thoughts on this thread. i think all of you are very brave and i'm hoping that you can all get back to your normal lives quickly and easily. i can not imagine how horrible this whole ordeal was for any of you. i sailed the star last may on her repo/transatlantic crossing, i cruise solo and i don't even want to think about how i would have felt alone in that situation. you all are my heros for enduring all you had to with such calm. it's wonderful to know that the princess crew rose to the occasion but i had no doubts. these are professionals and they know all or most of what can happen at sea and it's great to know they're so well prepared.

my thoughts and prayers are with all of you!

jeralyn ;)

I have all the post with great interest. For some reason I can not bring up page 8 on my computer. On that page there are post from #141 to 160 have been removed. Does anyone else have the same problem?

I can't either, it completely shuts IE down for me when I try to access page 8. :confused:

Just wanted to thank those that have posted personal accounts. I can't even imagine what it was like. My heart goes out to all of those affected by this fire.

It sounds like the common thread in all accounts is what a wonderful job the Princess Star Staff did! Kudos to them! :)

I have all the post with great interest. For some reason I can not bring up page 8 on my computer. On that page there are post from #141 to 160 have been removed. Does anyone else have the same problem?

No problem reading posts 141 - 160 here.

Thanks Drumline for sharing your story. I agree with Largin in that it is good to hear that the crew was so helpful and did their jobs on this unfortunate incident.

Also I had no problem getting posts 141-160.

Marilyn

Also I had no problem getting posts 141-160.

Marilyn

So strange...I still can't get page 8 to come up no matter what I do. I cleared my cache and restarted my computer and it continues to shut IE down every time I try to access that page....only that page. I'm pretty sure I read it all anyway but James and Homebody's post got me curious.

I am so very sorry for your experience. And, I am very grateful for your willingness to share your thoughts/observations with us.

All the little nit-picky things that we've all rolled our eyes at while on a ship are certainly put into perspective when you read about the professionalism and, indeed, heroism of the crew when a crisis arises. No doubt that there is always room for improvement, but it sure as heck seems like Princess handled this situation very well. I'm glad to be sailing them to Hawaii!

Thanks again, Star passengers, for continuing so share with those of us who are sitting home thinking "there but for the grace of God..." and are trying to make ourselves a bit more prepared for our next voyage in areas we probably didn't give too much thought about until the events of your cruise.

I just tried to get to page 8 again. Still no go. I have been trying since yesterday, and either get a blank page or it freezes with the progress bar halfway. Either way once you click on anything else IE closes. I have tried clicking on "8", starting on 7 and using the next arrow to get to 8 and starting at 9 and trying to go back to 8. Nothing gets me there. I have no trouble with any other page on this, or any other post.

I just tried to get to page 8 again. Still no go. I have been trying since yesterday, and either get a blank page or it freezes with the progress bar halfway. Either way once you click on anything else IE closes. I have tried clicking on "8", starting on 7 and using the next arrow to get to 8 and starting at 9 and trying to go back to 8. Nothing gets me there. I have no trouble with any other page on this, or any other post.

Me too! It's weird, isn't it? I get a blank page sometimes totally blank and sometimes the CC header is up there with the rest blank....but either way when I push my back key it puts up an error message that IE has to close....and only on that page. :confused:

I've been having the same problem. Then I get a message box that "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down" Then it shuts down the site. I have no problem with any of the other pages on that post. Just page 8.
Try this:-
  • Go to your User CP
  • Go to Edit Options
  • Go to the Thread Display Options section
  • Uncheck the box for Show Signatures
  • Go to the bottom and Save Changes

Then try to load that page again. It may well be someone's signature that is causing the problem - this has happened before.

And a thank you from me, too, to drumline13. Skimming your post earlier this morning was the main reason why I've come back to this thread this evening.

I would just like to thank everyone who complimented my post (the top post on page #11 of this board). I have read all of your responses (and will continue to do so), and I am very happy to have been able to share my thoughts/opinions on this incident. I talked to Princess this morning, and one of the members of their Customer Relations department requested that I send them a copy of my post, and so I will do that soon. Thanks again for all your responses! I will continue to read the messages on this board for many days to come....

I would just like to thank everyone who complimented my post (the top post on page #11 of this board). I have read all of your responses (and will continue to do so), and I am very happy to have been able to share my thoughts/opinions on this incident. I talked to Princess this morning, and one of the members of their Customer Relations department requested that I send them a copy of my post, and so I will do that soon. Thanks again for all your responses! I will continue to read the messages on this board for many days to come....

Drum – in your post you mention your theory on the cause of the fire – ready to give that to us yet, or are you still in conversation with Princess?

Try this:-

• Go to your User CP
  • Go to Edit Options
  • Go to the Thread Display Options section
  • Uncheck the box for Show Signatures
  • Go to the bottom and Save Changes

Then try to load that page again. It may well be someone's signature that is causing the problem - this has happened before.

Thanks Globaliser...that worked for me too! It was beginning to bug me! :D

You're welcome! Have you submitted your comments to the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB)? I think they would appreciate such thoughtful and descriptive observations. A couple of us have posted a link, if you haven't already given your comments to the investigation team.

Page 8 causes an MSIE (6.0.2900 ver) error on my browser as well. When the browser dies it generates a Microsoft error report. I guess page 8 needs a firewall. :rolleyes:

Archived