fire on star

Host CJSKIDS

When I was cruising in Dec. on Carnival Triumph I had an aft corner cabin with the wrap around balcony. Every day I would have cigarette butts all over. I was on deck 8 and they had to come from whatever was above me. Thinking about it now I should have been a little more cautious, next time I'm in an aft cabin I will be checking things out a bit more. I feel very bad for all those passengers whose cruise was destroyed by carelessness.

hbeard,

We just sailed on Celebrity Constellation and to the best of my knowledge I don't recall them having a Crew only fire and evacuation drill. If they didn't and don't shame on them and something to consider the next time you book a cruise

I believe most lines require weekly crew drills. Have seen them on just about every cruise we sailed. When we cruise Constellation (yes it was almost 2 years ago), they did do a drill while we were in post in St Thomas. I'm sure most pax missed it as they were ashore, but our DS was aboard and watched it.

What a terrifying experience the Star Princess passengers must have had! We have been on many cruises and have always felt secure, but I must admit we try not to worry about catastrophes as much as possible.

It is well known that the cruise industry considers fires aboard to be the greatest danger to passengers. On all our voyages, the staff have stressed that under no circumstances are cigarettes or anything else for that matter be disposed of over the side of the vessel. The problem is that many choose to ignore that rule.

I personally believe that given the dangers, smoking should just not be allowed on board - it is not allowed on airplanes, it is not allowed in most restaurants in North America, it is not allowed in some parks in the U.S. and it is not allowed in many heritage hotels as well. It isn't yet determined that this was the cause, but even if it was not, surely most would admit that whatever can be done to eliminate a risk would be worthwhile. Unfortunately, I think that a greater disaster than this will happen before the cruise industry puts safety before profits.

:mad: Well sad to say, I looked at update on Princess early this morning and there it was, Our cruise for April 23rd cancelled and she doesn't set sail until mid May.

They are going to reimburse us our cruise, non-refundable airline tickets and 25% off another cruise.

This would have been our first time with Princess we usually cruise with RCCL. We'll my DH and I have always wanted to go to Alaska, so maybe in 2007 we can go, would like to have gone this summer but big wedding coming up for one of our sons.

I don't know whether to call Princess or expedia (who we book thru) to find out what happens next, plus I gotta find out about our independent airfare and I guess I'm just out the travel insurance money too.

Well I guess I'll start making some phone calls. Alaska here I come!

I wonder if trip insurance shouldn't be refunded by the insurance company as they are insuring a non-event. Probablyt depends on the policy. Might be worth looking into.

It may depend on the company, but I have non-Princess insurance. I was able to switch to a different cruise on the same dates and had no problem switching my coverage to the different cruise. Even got a small refund because the trip cost was less than I had originally paid for the Star. Was also told I had the option of receiving a full refund for the insurance premium from the insurance company if I had not rebooked.

:mad: Well sad to say, I looked at update on Princess early this morning and there it was, Our cruise for April 23rd cancelled and she doesn't set sail until mid May.

They are going to reimburse us our cruise, non-refundable airline tickets and 25% off another cruise.

This would have been our first time with Princess we usually cruise with RCCL. We'll my DH and I have always wanted to go to Alaska, so maybe in 2007 we can go, would like to have gone this summer but big wedding coming up for one of our sons.

I don't know whether to call Princess or expedia (who we book thru) to find out what happens next, plus I gotta find out about our independent airfare and I guess I'm just out the travel insurance money too.

I like your attitude!! Check out the thread under Floataway Lounge...Ten reasons to never sail Rccl...You sound like you belong.!!

I'm so sorry that you lost your belongings. We were on the llth deck but starboard. I'm sure I will sail with Princess again though, I was incredibly impressed by their crew. I felt "safe" as soon as I got below the smoke and couldn't have had better care and concern and professionalism. I recognize that I did not lose anything in the fire however I will never forget the serious, intense care we received. 7 hours sitting on a lifejacket with herniating discs wasn't comfortable but so little to pay for safety! One point...does anyone have a suggestion for making roving men sit down? No matter if a medical team was moving through they paced up and down getting in the way and growing in number as the hours went on. Is it testosterone? the need to "take charge"?

I'll be leading another CC group to Alaska in late May-early June 2007... shoot me an email if you'd like info when we get it set up later this spring.. no obligation of course but I will be sending out some pre-posting info. (hostcaroline@cruisecritic.com).

We had a cruise cancelled on us about 10 years ago and we were sitting onboard sailing day waiting to sail for 12 days.. nothing like the folks on the Star went thru but it was sure a mess to sort out. Princess came thru then and I am sure they will for those of you affected by this as well...

Dear Star Princess Survivor Carolyn,

My family was on the Star Princess for my niece's wedding and honeymoon cruise while the ship was on fire. The wedding took place in the ship's beautiful chapel Sunday, March 19th.

At 3:15 A.M in the dead of night I will never forget the commanding voice in the corridor after the alarm that boomed "get out of your rooms the ship is on fire.! I will never forget accessing whether we could jump into the black ocean from the 9th deck off my balcony. I'll never forget the stark horror, the dread of our options that night. I'll never forget seeing billows of smoke in the lights from the pool (aft) over the back of the ship. I can still smell the acrid horrible smell of the burning ship. I'll never get over hours of not knowing if my family, the bride and groom were safe. I'll always remember the wonderful people we spent the night of horror with. I heard many stories of heroic acts of passengers including the air traffic controller, Brian Pike and his med tech wife Barb who ignored the flames on their balcony to run without their life jackets, without their cloths and alert as many sleeping passengers as they could. They lost everything as well. My niece and her new husband lost everything-their cabin was in the burning port side of the ship.

The crew of the Star Princess while on fire in the dead of night in the middle of the sea, March 23, 3:15 A.M. Eastern Time; was steadfast in their responsibilities for our safety.

The captain was honest, and communicative during the crisis and made us feel we were in good hands. The handling of dispatching us home was OK at best considering the daunting task.

Carnival's offer of 25% off and full refunds is inadequate and add insult to injury to passengers that survived the night of terror considering it is the same offer you are extending to those that did not endure and survive the fire tragedy. Please reference Carnival News Release:

AP

Carnival Says Fire Will Reduce Earnings

Tuesday March 28, 11:42 am ET

Carnival Says Star Princess Fire Will Reduce Earnings by 4 Cents to 5 C

“In addition to an already canceled Caribbean departure, five cruises scheduled for April also were canceled. Passengers booked on the canceled cruises will receive a full refund of their cruise and nonrefundable air charges, and a future cruise credit equal to 25 percent of the fare.”

The most valuable commodity of all of our lives is time. We use that time to create memories. Our time cannot ever be replaced. You cannot replace the memories of stark terror, horror and dread with memories of a wedding and a honeymoon cruise.

My family was on the Star Princess for my niece's wedding and honeymoon cruise. The wedding took place in the ship's beautiful chapel Sunday, March 19th.

At about 3:15 A.M in the dead of night March 23rd I will never forget the commanding voice in the corridor on the 9th deck starboard side after the sudden burst of the ship's alarm that boomed "get out of your rooms the ship is on fire! I will never forget trying to determine whether we could jump into the black ocean from the 9th deck off our balcony. I'll never forget the stark horror, the dread of our options that night. I'll never forget seeing billows of smoke in the lights from the pool (aft) over the back of the ship. I can still smell the acrid horrible smell of the burning ship. I'll never get over hours of not knowing if my family, the bride and groom were safe. I'll always remember the wonderful people we spent the night of horror with. I heard many stories of heroic acts of passengers including the air traffic controller, Brian Pike and his med tech wife Barb who ignored the flames on their balcony to run without their life jackets, without their cloths and alert as many sleeping passengers as they could. They lost everything as well. My niece and her new husband lost everything-their cabin was in the burning port side of the ship.

The crew of the Star Princess while on fire in the dead of night in the middle of the sea, March 23, 3:15 A.M. Eastern Time; was steadfast in their responsibilities for our safety.

The captain was honest, and communicative during the crisis and made us feel we were in good hands. The handling of dispatching us home was OK at best considering the daunting task.

Carnival's offer of 25% off and full refunds is inadequate and add insult to injury to passengers that survived the night of terror considering it is the same offer being extended to those that did not endure and survive the fire tragedy. Please reference Carnival News Release:

AP

Carnival Says Fire Will Reduce Earnings

Tuesday March 28, 11:42 am ET

Carnival Says Star Princess Fire Will Reduce Earnings by 4 Cents to 5 C

“In addition to an already canceled Caribbean departure, five cruises scheduled for April also were canceled. Passengers booked on the canceled cruises will receive a full refund of their cruise and nonrefundable air charges, and a future cruise credit equal to 25 percent of the fare.”

The most valuable commodity of all of our lives is time. We use that time to create memories. Our time cannot ever be replaced. You cannot replace the memories of stark terror, horror and dread with memories of a wedding and a honeymoon cruise.

We are grateful we survived and thankful to such a well trained crew. We are deeply saddened and wish to extend our sympathy to the family that lost a loved one. Words really can't define our experience-you would have to live it, and feel it, and smell it-That acrid smell of the burning ship that a memory can bring back. Only feelings translate that night.

• 2 weeks later...
News reports indicate a careless smoker caused the fire. A tragedy for all aboard. Major inconvenience for all who have booked the ship in the near future. Probably millions of dollars in repairs and lost revenue for the cruise line.

Solution, Simple: BAN SMOKING! Cruise lines need to take the step, rude selfish smokers never will. Many think it's their God given right to smoke and everyone else be damned.

Yesterday, a commercial airplane landed at Syracuse, NY. During flight a flight attendent used a fire extinguisher to put out a blaze in the bathroom trash can. I'm sure I need not mention the cause of the blaze but major tragedy was averted.

Smokers, vent if you must, I can take it.

dont beleive everything you read in media reports, having seen the fire at first hand this was most likely caused by a careless american leaving a candle burning on the balcony

dont beleive everything you read in media reports, having seen the fire at first hand this was most likely caused by a careless american leaving a candle burning on the balcony

Why is it a "careless American"? People of other nationalities can be careless, too, you know. I see it all the time! And it could have been a candle, or a cigarette, or anything that caused the fire! Don't be so quick to judge!

I was reading an article in my TA newletter this morning that stated Princess would be posting two people 24/7 on the bridge wings to watch the balconies and report any fires or see anything amiss until they can devise a system that would alert them in an emergency on the balconies. Cabin attendants are being instructed to remove any items left on the balconies by the passengers and place them inside the cabins. They said the fire definitely started on a balcony but they still haven't said exactly what caused it. This was from a reputable newsletter that is sent to travel agents (I am not one; I just get the e-mail as I used to arrange a lot of travel).

I was reading an article in my TA newletter this morning that stated Princess would be posting two people 24/7 on the bridge wings to watch the balconies and report any fires or see anything amiss until they can devise a system that would alert them in an emergency on the balconies. Cabin attendants are being instructed to remove any items left on the balconies by the passengers and place them inside the cabins. They said the fire definitely started on a balcony but they still haven't said exactly what caused it. This was from a reputable newsletter that is sent to travel agents (I am not one; I just get the e-mail as I used to arrange a lot of travel).

It is also on the princess site for anyone to read.

I was glad to hear of the very quick action of Oceania Cruise Lines yesterday in the New York Times (4/20). Now no smoking will be allowed in the cabins or on the balconies on any of their ships. Much better this than

the potential loss of life because of careless or possibly "Under the Influence"

Smokers. The balconies of cabins have no sprinklers. I know we had water pipes on the QM2 and a hose, but I honestly don't remeber a sprinkler although there may have been one on that ship. We wee fortunate enough to have a wooden deck in our balcony. Of course, her superstructure is heavy steel and would not melt away as that of the Princess. It was built to withstand the potential high seas of the North Atlantic, not the relative calm of the Caribbean. They still take fire very serioursly -- in fact the paintings are not even on canvas but are on metal.

My husband and I have also had the misfortune of being hit with ashes and with flaming embers from smokers while on our balconies while cruising. This is dangerous and there are other areas to smoke on the ships that are safe and don't endanger innocent people or the ship.

Archived