American Diner

7 minutes ago, Beaver1975 said:

The American Diners are converting to a complimentary dining option.  Will they be open for breakfast? Or just lunch and dinner?

They always had a small breakfast buffet there and I'd imagine that would continue.

2 minutes ago, UKstages said:

it was open for a buffet style breakfast on the getaway about a month ago.

very limited options, but they were open.

It wasn't on the Joy back in November.

1 minute ago, Beaver1975 said:

I've been on Joy twice in the past 2 years, most recently this past July, and they definitely had the breakfast buffet at American Diner.

I probably got something from there every day of our sailing.

It's a cool little buffet with it's highlight being an omelette station.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Beaver1975 said:

two things:

the american diner has always had a complimentary breakfast mini-buffet on all the ships i've been on that had an american diner. as with everything else on NCL, inconsistency is their hallmark. i can't speak to what may or may not have been available on your sailing. i can tell you that it wasn't listed as a dining venue in the daily, presumably so they could put the spread out willy nilly, as they saw fit. it was always kind of a secret discovery kind of thing, since american diner was not a complimentary venue. if the ship is not at capacity, there would be no need to open up american diner for breakfast.

now that the american diner is a complimentary venue (lunch and dinner), they have standardized the breakfast availability (also complimentary) and it's listed in the daily. at least it was on my 1/27 getaway sailing.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, UKstages said:

two things:

the american diner has always had a complimentary breakfast mini-buffet on all the ships i've been on that had an american diner. as with everything else on NCL, inconsistency is their hallmark. i can't speak to what may or may not have been available on your sailing. i can tell you that it wasn't listed as a dining venue in the daily, presumably so they could put the spread out willy nilly, as they saw fit. it was always kind of a secret discovery kind of thing, since american diner was not a complimentary venue. if the ship is not at capacity, there would be no need to open up american diner for breakfast.

now that the american diner is a complimentary venue (lunch and dinner), they have standardized the breakfast availability (also complimentary) and it's listed in the daily.

They had the exact same buffet on Escape in 2018 at Margaritaville too, so this is something that goes back before the American diner changeover.

We always liked it because it was close to where we lounge at overlooking the pool area.

when you go back to january, it's possible that the restaurant had not yet been converted to a complimentary venue. not that the conversion has a bearing necessarily on opening hours for breakfast, but certainly for opening hours of 12 - 5, particularly if they were getting ready to make it over into a complimentary venue.

Anybody know if it is open on embarkation day, wonder if it might be less busy on the first day before people find out it is included. 

Posted (edited)

this was exactly the case on my recent getaway sailing out of new york. i chose to eat lunch there on embarkation day. only two other tables were occupied. one or two days later, there was a 30 - 45 minute wait for lunch and dinner and that lasted for the entire cruise.the place was slammed every day. imagine being a server in the sleepy american diner. and then, suddenly, they make it a free venue and you never a moment to yourself ever again. 

in any event, yes, they were open on embarkation day.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, p5woody said:

Anybody know if it is open on embarkation day, wonder if it might be less busy on the first day before people find out it is included. 

Yes, Encore was open on embarkation day and got very busy.   The new menu seemed popular as a complimentary venue.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, p5woody said:

I suggest the main dining room.

• Like 1