Sales Volume Very Low?

peder

1 hour ago, saminina said:

It began prior to the cruise.  Asked for bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue and was told it probably could not be supplied.  No surprise, it was not.  He purchased at first port stop.   This is not a complaint, just seemed odd that such a request could not be met. 

It seemed odd that they wouldn't stock a $150+ bottle of liquor specially for him? Was the expectation that this would be included in his fare, or did he want it available for purchase at the ship's bar?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JYDCruise said:

It seemed odd that they wouldn't stock a $150+ bottle of liquor specially for him? Was the expectation that this would be included in his fare, or did he want it available for purchase at the ship's bar?

There was a time when such a request would have been no big deal to fulfill for a top suite guest paying rack rate.  Or even a regular customer in lower suite.  If it was not in stock, they would purchase in port.  This was common practice on SS and SB, though it's likely to have been on the shelf so no big deal.  Yes, they were expecting it to be a no charge item for one bottle. 

And yes, there is an expectation that fellow passengers on a so called luxury ship know how to dress and act to a higher standard than what you might see at the local pro wrestling event.

Edit to add....conversation with bar manager on Crystal about whisky and my favorite brand was missing.  Next port, he went ashore and purchased a bottle.  It was just a simple comment.  Not a complaint and told him I was happy enough with what was on the shelf.  A total unexpected surprise that the bottle would appear.  

Edited by saminina

Do note that the luxury cruise industry is now highly competitive. Not just Regent, Silver Sea and Seabourne. There's Ponant and Explora expanding aggressively. There's the revived Crystal etc. And, MSC itself has the very competitive YC.

There's bound to be a shakeout. My bet is that the casualties will be the fledgling brands that have yet to find their winning formula. The existing brands will likely hold on to their existing customers, unless someone comes out with a technological and/or service wonder at a competitive price.

The Apontes may have a bottomless pit of money. But, they'll just be flushing money down the toilet if they don't have the winning formula..

Occupants of top suites/residences on Explora have reason to be disappointed.  It might be the only line that offers so little in the way of perks.   There could be published benefits and there should be the discreet unpublished benefits not uncommon on other lines.  Stuff that goes unnoticed by majority of guests on all inclusive lines.

25 minutes ago, saminina said:

Edit to add....conversation with bar manager on Crystal about whisky and my favorite brand was missing.  Next port, he went ashore and purchased a bottle.  It was just a simple comment.  Not a complaint and told him I was happy enough with what was on the shelf.  A total unexpected surprise that the bottle would appear.  

That is good service indeed! That's how a service business builds loyalty.

That said, there's going to be a limit, even on the luxury lines (and I would bet that JWB is generally going to be over such a limit). I see that Crystal's included whiskys have JW Black and Red; the Black is ~$25/bottle retail, the Red less. Blue is ~$175, and it'd be interesting to see if Crystal would stock that on request. If so, that's outstanding service!

That said, British Airways First Class (the world's best business class! 😄) serves (served?) JW Blue - and in very generous pours - but the $ consumed/trip is inherently lower on a flight. Hell, even ANA has

• Like 1

7 hours ago, saminina said:

It began prior to the cruise.  Asked for bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue and was told it probably could not be supplied.  No surprise, it was not.  He purchased at first port stop.   This is not a complaint, just seemed odd that such a request could not be met.   Suite decor too brownish for the lady.  Their favorite evening dining venue was Emporium outdoors.  No problem until their butler invited himself to sit at their table.  Also, attempted same on final evening.  By then, they knew how to say NO to him.   While sitting in their suite, butler came in and did not remove tray of dirty dishes.  Also, butler in suite going thru drawers looking for his keys when occupants walked in.  Disappointed in lack of (zero) perks.  The little niceties one sees when residing in top suites on land or at sea.

About same age as Whip.....90.

I’m not sure I would see the whisky absence as a big issue but if that had been my butler I would have gone straight to the General Manager as that behaviour is unprofessional and unacceptable. Anyone going through guests drawers without their permission should be asked to leave. Joining you at dinner without your invitation is also an absolute no no 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, uktog said:

Anyone going through guests drawers without their permission should be asked to leave. Joining you at dinner without your invitation is also an absolute no no 

Unfortunately, there's quite a bit of unprofessional behavior going on.

2 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Unfortunately, there's quite a bit of unprofessional behavior going on.

This thread sure has become a forum for grievances and criticism 

I miss the expression of grace and gratitude that is surely a part of having the ability to experience 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, uktog said:

Care to explain and evidence?

Sure. I moved from my original cabin because of the creaks (post #3)...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3008457-yet-another-explora-1-review/#comment-67395928

What I didn't mention was the behavior of the staff involved. My first complaint to the front desk was taken by a Princess who condescendingly said (in a whisper) that they could move me to another room. No interest in the guest and the problem. No offer to send someone to check the room.

The next complaint to the front desk was to a young man who hustled to get approval from his manager. Helped me move my stuff. But, nada an apology or expression of concern. Both CR people had never been on a ship.

Apparently, my relocation caused a stir among the stewards. The steward of my old room tried to pass the job to someone else. Clearly displeased. The steward of my new room told me that he was disembarking tomorrow. Clearly displeased. The next steward angrily told me that he had to clean my room. 

No one expressed concern for the guest, and apologized on behalf of the company. Felt as if the guest was the problem and the enemy.

I accepted that the staff wasn't ready. That they had not bonded and that there was no esprit de corp. However, the lack of concern for the guest was unfortunate for a luxury brand. They hadn't read the memo yet.

Edited by HappyInVan

Thank you for clarifying - I would agree you suffered from less than perfect service.  Not sure in my language it was unprofessional which I see is inappropriate behaviour/conduct in relation to guest interaction and guest property.  Encroaching personal space, looking in drawers etc is inappropriate and unprofessional, not showing empathy is less than perfect service.

I hope you shared your findings with the appropriate managers

25 minutes ago, uktog said:

Thank you for clarifying - I would agree you suffered from less than perfect service... 

I hope you shared your findings with the appropriate managers

Explora Journeys is in the hospitality biz, not transportation like container ships. In small family-owned Europeans inns and hotels, they'll greet you with a smile, “Welkom!!!” They may not be able to improve the heating, if you have a complaint. But, they'll provide you with extra blankets etc.

IMHO, Explora 1 is not a threat to the established luxury brands. Hopefully, Explora 2 and 3 might do better.

As others have discovered, there's not much point complaining to hotel management. Their reply might be “Work in progress!!!”. Or, “I've spend 15 years in Azamara!!!”

Wow, it`s hard for me to believe that I was on the same ship as many of you. My experience was positive and can`t wait to book another EJ cruise. Loved our Premere Penthouse and would book the same cabin again. 

I am not a travel agent or influencer and honestly did not notice any of them on our Hawaii cruise. Maybe I wasn`t looking for them. 

I have been on SS,SB,Regent,Crystal, Azamara,Oceania and Windstar. Were any of those cruises perfect, no. I had wonderful time on all of them and would gladly return. 

All of those lines have been around for much longer than Explora and still have problems. 

How lucky we are to live the luxury cruise life! Cheers

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Interesting having given feedback to the former manager at Azamara now in a senior leadership role I found someone extremely willing to listen and react. As an example the opening and closing hours of a venue were altered and our room steward was changed 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Interesting having given feedback to the former manager at Azamara now in a senior leadership role I found someone extremely willing to listen and react. As an example the opening and closing hours of a venue were altered and our room steward was changed 

Yes, that is within her power to do.

To be fair, here are the virtues of the person you are so enamored of. Conscientious, nice, and the rare ability to listen.

I would appreciate hearing from others before we sign up for the 3/24/25 cruise out of Miami.  It is difficult to separate the pros and cons of any new ship. we are looking for a luxury experience on the Explora 1.  Will we be disappointed? 

Dean

11 minutes ago, Dean said:

I would appreciate hearing from others before we sign up for the 3/24/25 cruise out of Miami.  It is difficult to separate the pros and cons of any new ship. we are looking for a luxury experience on the Explora 1.  Will we be disappointed? 

Dean

Have you travelled on other Luxury lines before??  If so which ones...

A lot of the opinion is from those, including myself, who have been on Regent, Crystal etc...and are comparing our likes and dislikes.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Dean said:

Dean

Yes, you may very well enjoy a luxury cruise with EJ. There is the excitement of a newly built ship, and the possible pitfalls of a new organization. My review...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3008457-yet-another-explora-1-review

Bear in mind that I'm somewhat blase, and at my age I don't gouge myself.

The price is right. Of course, you know best what your preferences are. We'll be happy to help if you have specific concerns. Just start a new thread for your queries. 👍

• Like 2