Cruising from LA

Hi folks, we are flying into LAX from Sydney on Oct 1st and sailing out late on the 3rd.

As Hilton diamond members we have this stage we have booked the Doubletree in San Pedro. Having found this forum I’m wondering if this was the wisest choice.

Just wanted to ensure this was a safe area as far as being safe in LA is.

It would seem from past posts there is not much to do during the one and a half days we are there. We do apparently get a free shuttle to the cruise terminal.

The other option we have read is to stay in Torrance where this also a Doubletree and perhaps more to do to spend the short time we have here.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers

G'day..

The Doubletree in San Pedro gets a lot of great reviews here on CC, though we've never stayed there. We have sailed past it many times leaving the port though ;o) It's pretty remote, in a nice marina area with little to do, and in our experience, can be a bit pricey. You'd probably need to taxi or Uber if you wanted to explore. The Crowne Plaza is the closest hotel to the port but I gather you need to stay with Hilton so that's out.

We have taken Torrance as our usual pre-cruise area, as it's very well situated. It's on almost a direct line from LAX to San Pedro, so no diverting to get there. It offers a lot of hotels, shopping and restaurants and is quite residential/suburban so no real issues with danger, at least as far as we could see. Hotel pricing tends to be quite stable relative to the fluctuating pricing for the San Pedro or Long Beach hotels. The hotel we usually stay at, the Doubletree Torrance, is right at the corner of Torrance and Hawthorne,  right across the street from the Del Amo mall, apparently one of the largest shopping malls in the US.

The other area to consider is Long Beach, not too far from San Pedro, though a bit more of a diversion than Torrance. Lots of hotels, restaurants etc, but pricing can be high in peak seasons relative to Torrance. Lovely area though, the harbour and marina have a lot of places to stay and things to do. Should you stay in Long Beach, I can highly recommend visiting the Queen Mary. An amazing way to see what cruising was like in the good old days. Have a great trip

Have you considered the Vagabond Inn, a lot less expensive alternative and they offer a free shuttle to the port.  Breakfast is available on Saturday & Sunday, complimentary.  We have stayed there before and recommend it.

15 hours ago, roadmaster said:

Hi folks, we are flying into LAX from Sydney on Oct 1st and sailing out late on the 3rd.

As Hilton diamond members we have this stage we have booked the Doubletree in San Pedro. Having found this forum I’m wondering if this was the wisest choice.

Just wanted to ensure this was a safe area as far as being safe in LA is.

It would seem from past posts there is not much to do during the one and a half days we are there. We do apparently get a free shuttle to the cruise terminal.

The other option we have read is to stay in Torrance where this also a Doubletree and perhaps more to do to spend the short time we have here.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers

There is the USS Iowa ( I think that's its name).  You can tour the battleship/museum.  That is docked very close to the Harbor.  The best bet would spend the day in Long Beach, which just on the other side of the Harbor.  I think there is even a free bus that takes you there.  In Long Beach you can visit the Queen Mary ( now a floating hotel), visit the Aquarium of the Pacific, take a boat ride over to Catalina Island.  There are many shops/restaurants along 1st-4th Street in Long Beach.  Remember, your first day, you will be VERY jet lagged, so you probably won't feel like doing much anyway. I would say you can dip your toes in the Pacific Ocean, but Im sure coming from a big Island, that is no big thrill.

I've never heard anyone rec the Vagabond Inn in San Pedro. It is a very poorly rated 2 star hotel.

Given the length of your stay, I'd choose the DoubleTree Torrance. If you'd come in on Oct. 2, I'd say the DoubleTree San Pedro, which is a nice place in a good location.

On 3/10/2024 at 2:08 PM, scottca075 said:

I've never heard anyone rec the Vagabond Inn in San Pedro. It is a very poorly rated 2 star hotel.

Given the length of your stay, I'd choose the DoubleTree Torrance. If you'd come in on Oct. 2, I'd say the DoubleTree San Pedro, which is a nice place in a good location.

Just now, jimlouisesophie said:

See post 4.   We stayed at  Vagabond before and are staying there again for two nights prior to our cruise.  ...it and it is a 2 star and for the price and the convenience of being so close to the port with a free shuttle and free breakfast, we definitely recommend it.  Check out trip advisor for comments.  No doubt Double Tree is more luxurious, but further from the port, no shuttle and free breakfast. If your are not on a budget, Double Tree may be suitable.

Thanks for your thoughts.

We will stick with Doubletree in San Pedro who offers a free shuttle.

Shopping malls don’t appeal especially with our exchange rates.

We just need to buy some scotch for the cruise and probably walk the area and perhaps a bus to Long Beach

thanks all

1 hour ago, roadmaster said:

Thanks for your thoughts. We will stick with Doubletree in San Pedro who offers a free shuttle. Shopping malls don’t appeal especially with our exchange rates. We just need to buy some scotch for the cruise and probably walk the area and perhaps a bus to Long Beach, thanks all

For me, staying at the Torrance DoubleTree is about the variety of dining options in the area.

2 hours ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

For me, staying at the Torrance DoubleTree is about the variety of dining options in the area.

Any longer than the 2 nights I think that would be the option.

After 16 hours on a plane, not sure whether we would be looking for too much the first night which only leaves one more day.

Appreciate your comment.

Posted (edited)

Okay...I'm a "local"...

I love the Doubletree...AND I have stayed there pre-cruise (We now live a little over an hour from the port, so, often, we extend our holiday and stay nearby for a night pre-cruise.

The area is very safe.  And, visually, attractive.  It is a little removed from the port and from most area restaurants --Though the 22nd Street Landing--Seafood restaurant--is walking distance around the marina.  For any of the nice restaurants in Downtown San Pedro (San Pedro Brewing Co,. the Green Onion-Mexican, Rafaello's, Niko's. etc.), the Doubletree will shuttle you there and back for free.  There are a few things to see and do in the area...or a short Uber ride into Long Beach to see the Queen Mary or the Aquarium...But after a long flight, you may just want to relax...and the Doubletree is good for that.

Here are some photos from our last stay there--the room itself ...and the view from our room:

830290143_RoomatDoubletree.jpg.f60ef9b9604868f5dfa56767ddc8fbd9.jpg

724070457_ViewfromDoubletree.JPG.e402aa78439ac8f0119d8747a1d6a008.JPG

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Okay...I'm a "local"...

I love the Doubletree...AND I have stayed there pre-cruise (We now live a little over an hour from the port, so, often, we extend our holiday and stay nearby for a night pre-cruise.

Thanks Steve, just what we were looking for. We did wonder about how safe the area was for walking but that could be said anywhere. We have been to LA a couple of times and must say it wasn’t our favourite city. We will spend the second day out and about and you have shared some great information.

Thanks so much

Cheers

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 3:10 PM, roadmaster said:

Thanks for your thoughts.

We will stick with Doubletree in San Pedro who offers a free shuttle.

Shopping malls don’t appeal especially with our exchange rates.

We just need to buy some scotch for the cruise and probably walk the area and perhaps a bus to Long Beach

thanks all

Presume that you know that you cannot take scotch or any liquor onto the ship. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jimlouisesophie said:

Presume that you know that you cannot take scotch or any liquor onto the ship

Not quite correct. Perhaps you haven’t cruised with Oceania.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roadmaster said:

Not quite correct. Perhaps you haven’t cruised with Oceania.

Thx 4 the clarification..No, I haven't cruised with Oceania.   I wonder if any other cruise lines allow pax to bring liquor aboard...interesting.

On 3/16/2024 at 10:20 AM, jimlouisesophie said:

Thx 4 the clarification..No, I haven't cruised with Oceania.   I wonder if any other cruise lines allow pax to bring liquor aboard...interesting.

You can bring liquor and wine on board. The liquor can only be consumed in your cabin unopened wine can be used in dinning venues for a $25.00 corcege fee.

On 3/13/2024 at 1:07 AM, Bruin Steve said:

Okay...I'm a "local"...

The area is very safe.  And, visually, attractive.  It is a little removed from the port and from most area restaurants --Though the 22nd Street Landing--Seafood restaurant--is walking distance around the marina.  For any of the nice restaurants in Downtown San Pedro (San Pedro Brewing Co,. the Green Onion-Mexican, Rafaello's, Niko's. etc.), the Doubletree will shuttle you there and back for free.  There are a few things to see and do in the area...or a short Uber ride into Long Beach to see the Queen Mary or the Aquarium...But after a long flight, you may just want to relax...and the Doubletree is good for that.

Here are some photos from our last stay there--the room itself ...and the view from our room:

830290143_RoomatDoubletree.jpg.f60ef9b9604868f5dfa56767ddc8fbd9.jpg

724070457_ViewfromDoubletree.JPG.e402aa78439ac8f0119d8747a1d6a008.JPG

We have Hyatt points and staying at the Hyatt Recency So.Pine. Any good restaurants within a short walk?

51 minutes ago, Acrusa said:

We have Hyatt points and staying at the Hyatt Recency So.Pine. Any good restaurants within a short walk?

Depends on what you consider a "good" restaurant...

There are quite a number of national chain eateries a very short walk away, along the waterfront just across Shoreline Drive:  Bubba Gump, Hooter's, Chili's, Outback, PF Chang's, Famous Dave's BBQ, Yard House...plus small local chains and restaurants--Tokyo Wako, Gladstone's (Seafood), Tequila Jack's, Shenanigans and Parker's Lighthouse (Seafood--and great views of the harbor).  A short walk up Pine St. (away from the water) and you'll pass California Pizza Kitchen and Islands and get into the heart of Long Beach and more local places and local chains--like Kinbg's Fisdh House--another good seafood choice...So, lot's of choices--though I wouldn't go out of my waya to call any "don't miss"...It all depends on what you want to eat.  BUT all are short walking distance from the Hyatt.

I stayed at the Doubletree San Pedro before a cruise that I was doing solo. I found it clean and comfortable. I felt safe walking on my own all around the marina area. My room happened to have a fantastic little patio that was perfect for a glass of wine in the evening and a cup of coffee in the morning. Enjoy your trip!

IMG_7560.jpeg

IMG_7558.jpeg

5 hours ago, Acrusa said:

We have Hyatt points and staying at the Hyatt Regency Any good restaurants within a short walk?

90% of those close by are mediocre national chains or mediocre tourist traps. One notable exception is L'Opera Italian Restaurant; a truly outstanding place.

And while I find Parker's Lighthouse a bit of a tourist trap, the Queensview Steakhouse on the 3rd floor of Parker's is very good.

31 minutes ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

90% of those close by are mediocre national chains or mediocre tourist traps. One notable exception is L'Opera Italian Restaurant; a truly outstanding place.

And while I find Parker's Lighthouse a bit of a tourist trap, the Queensview Steakhouse on the 3rd floor of Parker's is very good.

Thanks for that we planned on Parkers and L'Opera sounds like something we would enjoy 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2024 at 10:20 AM, jimlouisesophie said:

Viking allows you to bring anything you want, bottles of scotch? case of wine? No problem, no charge, just enjoy it. There was a small group on my last cruise that didn’t like Viking’s beer selection. They took a cab to a liquor store in Honolulu and filled a large suitcase.