Tricky question about formal nights and Atlantide

pavementends

OK so I'm not a tuxedo guy, I'm a nice-sports-coat-and-tie kind of guy. Have never owned a dark suit. (I guess they will have to bury me in my Metallica T shirt).

So is there anything better or more interesting about Atlantide on formal nights? Or should I just make the reservation for La Terrazza and hit Atlantide on some other night, when there is no question about being appropriate? I'm happy with both of them, will have plenty of time to sample both. just don't want to miss anything.

Whaddaya think?

You are perfectly ok in a sports coat and tie on formal nights. You will see just as many blazers as suits, and very few tuxedos. You don't say which cruise or how long it is. I have found that people dress more formally on longer cruises, grand voyages and world cruises. And more casually on shorter cruises, especially in the Caribbean and Alaska.
Usually the menu does have some specials on formal nights. Like lobster for example. So, we always like to eat in Atlantide then.

On Whisper for 16 nights last month; we had 3 formal nights.  We tried to evade 2 at La Terrazza, but they changed the calendar when we got on board so we ended up eating in the MDR 2 out of 3.  I don't remember the menus looking any better on the formal nights, nor was the food any more 'wow.'  Lobster tail was offered often enough on the MDR menu that it wouldn't have made formal night stand out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

On Whisper for 16 nights last month; we had 3 formal nights.  We tried to evade 2 at La Terrazza, but they changed the calendar when we got on board so we ended up eating in the MDR 2 out of 3.  I don't remember the menus looking any better on the formal nights, nor was the food any more 'wow.'  Lobster tail was offered often enough on the MDR menu that it wouldn't have made formal night stand out.

I’ve never noticed any special dishes on formal nights.  If SS doesn’t make it special I’ve always had a hard time with the “formal” attire expectation.

• Like 4

In the past (even as recently as this fall) on formal nights in Atlantide we saw higher end daily specials - e.g., dover sole, steak rossini, etc.

This was not the case our Jan-Feb Nova cruise - the formal night menus were no different than on other nights and some higher end items never appeared at all (outside La Dame). Some posters on other threads have reported that on other ships - Spirit and perhaps Muse-  the formal night offerings have also been dumbed down since the start of this year.

In any event, you will be fine with a blazer and tie on formal nights in Atlantide.

4 minutes ago, sea bright said:

In the past (even as recently as this fall) on formal nights in Atlantide we saw higher end daily specials - e.g., dover sole, steak rossini, etc.

This was not the case our Jan-Feb Nova cruise - the formal night menus were no different than on other nights and some higher end items never appeared at all (outside La Dame). Some posters on other threads have reported that on other ships - Spirit and perhaps Muse-  the formal night offerings have also been dumbed down since the start of this year.

We also found on Whisper last month that many of the menu items from the specialty restaurants (including La Dame) would also show up on the MDR menu.  There really isn't much 'special' about Silversea's specialties...

• Like 1

We have cruised a lot on Silversea. Unlike other cruise lines, there is nothing very special about formal nights. They maybe serve a lobster tail, fois gras and caviar in Atlantide if you want it. But nothing else, no special party, event etc., other than maybe the Venetian Captain’s cocktail party on one of the nights It’s just an opportunity to dress up if you want to.

Used to bring the tux and finery but no more. We have enough opportunities to dress up that we don’t need to bring it to do so on the ship. 

Heard a few weeks ago that Silversea is evaluating the dress code…we’ll see where that goes…and how long it takes!