Do I have any say in this - help please!

masonchar

5 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Anytime one books a room for 2 that has capacityof 3 or 4 there is the potential that you might get moved to a room max capacity 2 in the same class or better, if  they need the cabin for a party of 3 or 4.  Not considered an upgrade. Not unusual practice.

Same thing if one books an accessible cabin and they do not need the accessible features.

That’s unfortunate and there should be some compensation or perk for having to move.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Globaler said:

That’s unfortunate and there should be some compensation or perk for having to move.

Just something one needs to be aware of if they select a 3 or 4 person room for 2 people, when 2 person capacity rooms are available in the class.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Just something one needs to be aware of if they select a 3 or 4 person room for 2 people, when 2 person capacity rooms are available in the class.

I would never have thought about that but I’ll make sure in the future I do.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Globaler said:

I would never have thought about that but I’ll make sure in the future I do.

It is still a low probability event, but it does happen, especially now that cruiselines are sailing above 100% normal capacity, and more 3/4 cabins are needed.

Princess has started to restrict some high demand 3 or 4 person cabins when 2 try to  book them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TRLD said:

Exactly, especially when Princess continues to advertise 3rd and 4th person are free!

Edited by Alaska05
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

My post got deleted. If you didn't see it before then, try Googling.

Beware: there was a CVP named on here earlier. Someone recommended her.

Not allowed on cc. And I have had that one blocked from phoning & emailing me.

4 hours ago, TRLD said:

Exactly, that is why I make sure we book our cabin for the amount of people in it as this has been happening for years. Unfortunately this is not new. 

43 minutes ago, dog said:

Beware: there was a CVP named on here earlier. Someone recommended her.

Not allowed on cc. And I have had that one blocked from phoning & emailing me.

Yeah, I wasn't naming one. I consider the CVP number to be high-level customer support. 😄

I am glad I came upon this thread.

1) I could not find a way to determine which cabins hold 2, 3, or 4 people.  Am I being daft? Where on the deck plans (or elsewhere)  can I find this?

2) I ended up calling and asking how many people my specific cabin held. They first told me they didn't know and that they couldn't tell me!!! I was like...what??? You work there and you don't know that information? They put me on hold and came back and told me it held 2 people (which is good as I am travelling solo and do NOT want to be bumped). 

However, I am not convinced he actually knew, and would like to check online. 

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, travelloverontario said:

I am glad I came upon this thread.

1) I could not find a way to determine which cabins hold 2, 3, or 4 people.  Am I being daft? Where on the deck plans (or elsewhere)  can I find this?

2) I ended up calling and asking how many people my specific cabin held. They first told me they didn't know and that they couldn't tell me!!! I was like...what??? You work there and you don't know that information? They put me on hold and came back and told me it held 2 people (which is good as I am travelling solo and do NOT want to be bumped). 

However, I am not convinced he actually knew, and would like to check online. 

Any suggestions?

When you look at the deck plans on Princess.com, there's a drop down by the list of available cabin types on the deck you're looking at for number of passengers. Select 3 or 4 from that and only those rooms that will hold that many will be in color on the plan.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2024 at 2:03 PM, masonchar said:

I just finished my 5th phone call to Princess.  Have spoken to 4 different people.  Each person telling me in 1 or 2 hours a supervisor will call.  This has been going on since 9am.

Any news?

On 3/14/2024 at 2:31 PM, richstowe said:

You sound like you are doing what you should. You should have specific cabins in mind when they get back to you specifically a better OZ cabin.

Great advice, should definitely be prepared and have a gameplan in mind before the call back

On 3/14/2024 at 9:40 PM, Globaler said:

Assuming that there is a cabin in the same or better category this is just not reasonable, you have 2 max people in a cabin capable of holding 3/4 passengers, if you owned this business would you want to lose the revenue because of this?  

From a business and even practical standpoint, Princess should and does have the right to move the 2, to a like or better cabin, in order to fulfill the 3 or 4 passengers also looking for the same cabin type.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cnice515 said:

Assuming that there is a cabin in the same or better category this is just not reasonable, you have 2 max people in a cabin capable of holding 3/4 passengers, if you owned this business would you want to lose the revenue because of this?  

From a business and even practical standpoint, Princess should and does have the right to move the 2, to a like or better cabin, in order to fulfill the 3 or 4 passengers also looking for the same cabin type.

Absolutely if I owned a business I would want to maximize revenue. However; in business it is very common that in a situation like this you pay less up front if the possibility exists that you may get bumped. I seriously doubt when she booked her cabin she paid less because of this risk.

14 minutes ago, cnice515 said:

The problem is that not all cabins in the same category are created equally. People often have very specific reasons for cabin choices, whether it be location, special balcony size, a better obstructed view cabin that offers good visibility. People who cruise Princess frequently tend to land on specific cabins they prefer - for example we love the forward facing balconies on the Royal class ships and those all hold more than 2 people. We always specify no upgrade and, like the OP here, I would be very upset if they bumped us to another cabin. Often, an upgrade really isn’t if it is to a cabin that is less satisfactory based on personal preferences. 

Yes, Princess is a business, but part of being a good business that promotes loyalty is treating your customers well by respecting their choices, especially when they booked first and did so in order to reserve a specific cabin. That should be honored. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

The problem is that not all cabins in the same category are created equally. People often have very specific reasons for cabin choices, whether it be location, special balcony size, a better obstructed view cabin that offers good visibility. People who cruise Princess frequently tend to land on specific cabins they prefer - for example we love the forward facing balconies on the Royal class ships and those all hold more than 2 people. We always specify no upgrade and, like the OP here, I would be very upset if they bumped us to another cabin. Often, an upgrade really isn’t if it is to a cabin that is less satisfactory based on personal preferences. 

Yes, Princess is a business, but part of being a good business that promotes loyalty is treating your customers well by respecting their choices, especially when they booked first and did so in order to reserve a specific cabin. That should be honored. 

Totally agree. Simple solution would be different prices for various types of cabins based on location, obstruction, 2/3/4 people etc. The airlines are a perfect example of how this works.

additionally, this is what cause issues with customer service cause it does depend on who you get on the phone and how that person feels that day. When there are no clear cut rules - a squeaky wheel gets the grease (people start raising cain and oftentimes that works).

Edited by Globaler
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Globaler said:

Absolutely if I owned a business I would want to maximize revenue. However; in business it is very common that in a situation like this you pay less up front if the possibility exists that you may get bumped. I seriously doubt when she booked her cabin she paid less because of this risk.

The category has a cost whether the room accommodates 2 or 3/4.  Princess accommodated (in theory since I don't know for sure) 3 or 4 passengers by switching 2 passengers to a room that accommodates 2 so now the cruiseline has 5/6 paying passengers instead of 2. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cnice515 said:

The category has a cost whether the room accommodates 2 or 3/4.  Princess accommodated (in theory since I don't know for sure) 3 or 4 passengers by switching 2 passengers to a room that accommodates 2 so now the cruiseline has 5/6 paying passengers instead of 2. 

I get that but like the airlines they factor that into seating ie if you get to choose your seats you pay more on Southwest. I’m just saying there is a better way to handle this issue that is both fair to the cruiser and cruise line.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

And people wonder why (and were upset by ) Princess restricting 2 people from booking some cabin types that hold 3 or 4 people.

Now that cruises are back over 100% the practice of bumping people out of a 3/4 cabin, if they only have 2 booked, if needed for a larger party will return. It will, as before covid, be a low probability event, but it will happen whenever Princess or for that matter other cruise lines need the capacity and a 2 person room in that category is available.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Globaler said:

I had no idea it was a 4 person cabin.  If the person who booked the cabin for me back in January told me it was, and that I might get bumped, I wouldn't have booked it

• Like 6

From the cruise line perspective a third of revenue comes from on board spend (up from 25% pre covid).  So even if passenger 3 and 4 pay no fare the expected revenue for 3 in the cabin would be 17% higher and 4 would 34% higher than a 2 person cabin. 

I guess that an alternative would be to not move people if they need the capacity and charge a premium for 2 people selecting a 3/4 cabin.

• Like 3

Listen, if OP is past final payment they have option of using Cancel for any reason insurance. Otherwise, even if you booked with NO Upgrade request, you can be moved.  I have a few times.  Sometimes I received notification, other times I did not.

Most likely you will have to take whatever cabin they come up with.

Wonder why the booking page says:

You choose your cabin. $$

or

We choose your cabin $

On 3/13/2024 at 5:22 AM, masonchar said:

I booked a 14 day Alaskan cruise directly with Princess back in January.  Final payment was three days ago.  We couldn't afford an oceanview cabin or better, this time around.   But, we decided to book an obstructed view cabin.  There weren't many left, but we found one with a pretty good view. ( I used a website that shows pictures of the views).  Last night I got an email saying they are moving us to a cabin beside the one we had booked.  They said the reason was that the one we booked could accommodate 4 people and there are only 2 of us.  The new (they call it an upgrade) does not have as good a view.  The one we had booked was between two tenders.  The new one is blocked by the front of the tender.   We aren't happy about this change at all.  Before I get on the phone today, is there anything I can do?

Masonchar thanks for your post - my friend & I just booked yesterday - we booked adjoining obstructed OV cabins with 1 person in each cabin - after reading your post I checked & 1 cabin is a 3/4 person - I would be really angry if Princess bumped us out, we specifically wanted adjoining cabins - booked both through Expedia but they have separate booking #’s - I will be calling/messaging to make sure our Bookings are marked No Upgrade 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, masonchar said:

I had no idea it was a 4 person cabin.  If the person who booked the cabin for me back in January told me it was, and that I might get bumped, I wouldn't have booked it

Just to be clear.  My posts are in no way blaming you for doing what you did, even if you did know that it was designated as 2-4 passenger. 

I am merely responding to those that stated that Princess owes you comp or an upgrade.  That, I completely disagree with.

• Like 2