Getting to 4 Star on our cruise

My friend is 16 points shy of getting his 4 Star and is taking a 14 day cruise.  I have heard that sometimes the front desk will upgrade you to 4 Star if you ask and IF the points needed are fewer than the days sailing on that cruise.

Now, my friend is in a Neptune, so he will earn 14 regular days (not enough), but of course another 14 for being in a Nepunte, which would easily put him over (28 total vs 16 needed).  I understand why HAL does not let you apply the spending days earned, since you cannot be sure how many will be earned, but with the Suite extra days they should know for certain.

Has anyone else run into this situation and if so, what did the front desk do?

That's my understanding too (and what happened to us).  Apparently there is an exception if you are on a segment of a world cruise (or so I've heard!).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fusion927 said:

That's my understanding too (and what happened to us).  Apparently there is an exception if you are on a segment of a world cruise (or so I've heard!).

And as I understood on a Grand Voyage too.

Congrats....4* (free laundry) on the next 'dam cruise.....

Here is the FAQ from the HAL website related to your question....

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A lot of good info on this thread. 

I was unable to move up even though I turned 4 star after 1 day on a 2 week collector cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was 4 days short of 4* and was given free laundry (I did not ask for it) that I sent out on day 5. I did not get any other benefits (nor expected them) during the cruise.

4* status was reflected in my profile about 2 weeks after the cruise ended.

10 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Congrats....4* (free laundry) on the next 'dam cruise.....

Here is the FAQ from the HAL website related to your question....

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

What's a Grand Voyage?

A few years ago I called the Mariner Society about this issue and was told if you’re within 3 days of the next star AND your cruise is 21 days or longer, you can call and request the early upgrade to receive the benefits for the duration of the cruise. It has to go through an approval process.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

What's a Grand Voyage?

For us, it means expensive and long....but here is the definition from a Holland America Line press release:

A Holland America Line Grand Voyage is the pinnacle of cruising. Ranging from 71 to 127 days, these longer journeys take travelers to the far corners of the world across six continents......

Posted (edited)

If the OP’s friend is in a Neptune suite they will receive free laundry and priority boarding and tendering anyway so the 4* benefit would not be that much different from the 3* level with the exception of the higher discount in the specialty restaurants and wine packages. 

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 1

I am currently 8 credits short of 4*, and am embarking on a 25 day cruise in a signature suite next month. I read this thread so I called. Was told that if it were a collector voyage (combined legs) it would kick in on the second leg (which it’s not). But they suggested I call or email back a week before sail date and try again, because she has “seen it happen”. Will let you know 

• Like 2