Skipping muster

Capt_BJ

Omg...how hard is it to put down your drink for a few minutes and er on the side of caution...You are going to be out in the middle of the ocean...things can and do happen on occasion...just deal with it for a while and then ....fun fun fun....cheers everyone...One week until we sail the Sapphire Princess:D

I am married to a Sailor.. and if even THOUGHT about CONSIDERING possibly maybe skipping the muster, he'd disown me in a heartbeat. I'll just be sure to wear something that doesn't clash too horribly with the bright orange vest is all...;)

Of course, I am also one of those weird people that actually takes out the card in the seat pocket in front of me on airplanes and :eek: pays attention the the Flight Attendants, even if it's the 4th time in a week I have flown the same airplane.

Besides, ugly orange lifevests are the great equalizer. Everyone looks fat and approachable. You might never talk to the woman dripping diamonds in designer dress in the dining room but put that same woman in an orange vest and she becomes approachable and you just might have a new friend.

I have a feeling their will be greater attention given to the instructions "for a while." The ones who complain about the inconvienence and the chill will also be the ones who complain that they were never told what to do.

Twentyfive years as a VFD I know that the time to think through a fire or accident is before it happens, like reading the card on the plane or planning an escape from your hotel room. Let's be thankful that we don't encounter problems very often while onboard.

Happy Cruising!

Larry

Accidents do happen.

We've had QM2 and the Princess ship this year so far - at least as far as big cruise ships are concerned. There was the Egyptian ferry disaster, and an Isle of Wight ferry hit her dock causing injuries as well. God knows how many other ships have had incidents - unless they are big and famous, or western lives are lost, or there is a huge loss of life then they don't hit the news.

Doesn't mean of course that ships aren't safe. (Although, according to something I recently read, submarines are statistically the safest form of transport!)

For the sake of a few minutes looking daft, would you really want to be left ignorant of what to do if the worst happened?

Clearly no-one on this tread does. But I would be willing to bet a reasonable sum that someone was complaining to the staff about the drill on the Princess ship at the start of the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
In light of yesterday's PRINCESS incident, anyone care to revisit the topic of 'useless muster drills'?

Well, if you end up at the wrong station, do you think another person will give you THEIR place in the lifeboat because you did'nt go to muster. Also if you are with family, an dyou don't show up at the right place, you could cause a family member to leave their station to search frantically for you thereby endangering their life.

Besides, ugly orange lifevests are the great equalizer. Everyone looks fat and approachable. You might never talk to the woman dripping diamonds in designer dress in the dining room but put that same woman in an orange vest and she becomes approachable and you just might have a new friend.

How funny!

Fail to plan, Plan to Fail...

Preparedness goes hand in hand with self reliance. The many many people who could have left New Orleans when Katrina was still bearing down, in my book anyway, got in the way of those who really could have used the help of disaster officials in the first few days.

I have lived on fault lines, in the tornado belt, by areas prone to mudslides and flown on a couple of hundred flights and have always at least thought about what I would do if the S*** hit the fan.

Muster drills are simply a part of this awareness/ preparedness.

Although I was not booked on them, but was on another ship, I missed by one day the Ecstacy fire and the Regent Star fire/evacuation. I always assume the thing is going to "nose down" and carry three days' meds in my pocket (among other things, I have a life-threatening disorder). I have also watched disaster movies and know that when there is danger, I will hear ominous music in the background.

Dendeds on the ship. We've had indigual name check'ins. Cabin check'ins and no check'ins at all. On some ships, if you're not at muster you are notified to come to a muster call the next morning, some ships have the room steward checking all cabins to make sure you're not in your cabin for muster! On one recent cruise the call to muster was the next morning!!! There were a lot of people still in the dining room having breakfast. They did not have to leave, they just finished eating!

But on some ships they are a LOT more specific as to what to do if you have to abandon the ship!

Always go and LISTEN!

Archived