Canadian Currency

Turk1

Will be leaving from Quebec City on cruise. I know I will need some Canadian currency for things like Taxi's and smaller purchases. For larger purchases and Restaurants will my Credit Card be accepted for charges? Also, what is the normal tipping percentage in Canada? 15%-20%?

1 hour ago, Turk1 said:

For larger purchases and Restaurants will my Credit Card be accepted for charges?

Widely accepted-- even for smaller purchases. Just make sure its a credit card that doesn't have a foreign transaction fee. 

IMO, I find tipping percentages can be somewhat regional.  However, I think 15-20% is within spec. 

I'm curious if your credit cards have a chip & PIN which is the standard in Canada nowadays.  I also ask because many businesses (and taxis) use mobile credit card machines and a lot of the machines are set up with various preset tip percentage options, though some are set on the high side.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Milhouse said:

IMO, I find tipping percentages can be somewhat regional.  However, I think 15-20% is within spec. 

I'm curious if your credit cards have a chip & PIN which is the standard in Canada nowadays.  I also ask because many businesses (and taxis) use mobile credit card machines and a lot of the machines are set up with various preset tip percentage options, though some are set on the high side.

Very good point. With our credit cards having a chip/PIN, we almost never have to even insert the card into a machine anymore, probably 95% of the time it's a simple tap. I can't even remember the last time I used cash for anything, even the smallest charge.

• 2 weeks later...

At least last year, the funicular in Quebec City was cash only (they accepted both CAD and USD, but at a 1:1 exchange rate). That is literally the only place in Canada I have ever needed cash (although I've never taken a taxi anywhere in Canada). My US credit card has worked in all situations (and I don't have a chip and PIN card). No added fees, either.

14 hours ago, Rubyfisch said:

No added fees, either.

Which is specific to your card, not universal. Everyone should check if their card has international transaction fees or not and try and travel with one that doesn't charge them. 

Just now, princeton123211 said:

Which is specific to your card, not universal. Everyone should check if their card has international transaction fees or not and try and travel with one that doesn't charge them. 

Definitely - my point was there wasn't an extra fee for using a credit card, which is how I read other posts.

We were on a NE/Canadian cruise last Sept '23 and we ran into problems using our Chase Debit card at ATMs.  There was money in the account, but we couldn't access it.  Credits cards worked just fine at hotels, restaurants, etc.

18 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

We were on a NE/Canadian cruise last Sept '23 and we ran into problems using our Chase Debit card at ATMs.  There was money in the account, but we couldn't access it. 

Usually you have to notify your bank ahead of time you'll be travelling abroad with debit cards. 

3 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Usually you have to notify your bank ahead of time you'll be travelling abroad with debit cards. 

Ironically, we were in Japan a month after our Canadian cruise and had no problem with the ATM withdrawals.  

5 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Ironically, we were in Japan a month after our Canadian cruise and had no problem with the ATM withdrawals.  

I hear ya-- it's not a universal thing across all banks but it takes literally 5 minutes to let them know and then there are no surprises or issues.