Excursions

Hello all!

We're sailing the Western Med in 2025, and just wondering if anyone might know when NCL generally posts excursions. There's nothing on our specific sailing yet, only the 'general' excursions on the NCL website under the 'explore' tab.

PS: I know it's early, but given the price I've seen on some (close to $500 CAD for Rome and the Vatican), I'd like to start figuring out budget.

Thanks!

I dont know when they come out, but I will strongly recommend doing an NCL excursion over a private tour.  With NCL, there is no waiting in the long line to enter the Vatican.  Also, traffic in Rome is notoriously bad, so if the group is late, the ship will wait ( not so on a private tour).  I did Rome/Vatican tour many years ago, and our group was 2 hours late getting back to the ship.  The guide was in constant contact with the ship, so they knew what was going on.  If we were in a private tour, the ship would have sailed without us, and we would be responsible for catching up at the next port.  It may be pricey, but can you put a price on peace of mind?  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I dont know when they come out, but I will strongly recommend doing an NCL excursion over a private tour.  With NCL, there is no waiting in the long line to enter the Vatican.  Also, traffic in Rome is notoriously bad, so if the group is late, the ship will wait ( not so on a private tour).  I did Rome/Vatican tour many years ago, and our group was 2 hours late getting back to the ship.  The guide was in constant contact with the ship, so they knew what was going on.  If we were in a private tour, the ship would have sailed without us, and we would be responsible for catching up at the next port.  It may be pricey, but can you put a price on peace of mind?  

100% agree - we only book excursions through NCL. I know it's usually more expensive, but peace of mind (for me) is worth it.

• Like 1

Excursions are posted when NCL has a final contract with the vendor. So could be years in advance - for places that they visit year after year.  Could be just a few months prior to sailing - or even never in some ports.

The only timeline that I know of is that they aren't posting the post-cruise excursions (port to airport) until day 50 - for their convenience of course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9tee2Sea said:

We have known several people to be left behind when the ship pulls out, and they have been on ship excursions, including an entire dive boat.

They leave you, and their staff behind. What they do do is pay for your hotel and transfer to the next port.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, JGander said:

We have known several people to be left behind when the ship pulls out, and they have been on ship excursions, including an entire dive boat.

They leave you, and their staff behind. What they do do is pay for your hotel and transfer to the next port.

Yes, there is always the possibility that they can't wait. But in that case, NCL takes on the responsibility of getting you to the next port. Rare, but it can happen.

On the other side, if you are on a private excursion and are late, they might wait for you IF you contact the ship and let them know the situation. In any case, if you call they will advise you on what to do, whether it be pick up your passport at the terminal or continue on your way to the ship, they are waiting. That was info given to us from the captain at a Q&A session, so not speculation.

• Like 1

We usually go it on our own or sometimes go with a reliable independent company.  However, we do take ship sponsored excursions if we are going far from the port or if there are known traffic problems getting back to the port.  The "On Your Own" excursions are usually reasonably priced and often make a good compromise.  We also consider how difficult it would be to catch up with the ship.  Sometimes you would only need to take a train ride and miss dinner.  Other times it would be a much bigger deal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kapper said:

Hello all!

We're sailing the Western Med in 2025, and just wondering if anyone might know when NCL generally posts excursions. There's nothing on our specific sailing yet, only the 'general' excursions on the NCL website under the 'explore' tab.

PS: I know it's early, but given the price I've seen on some (close to $500 CAD for Rome and the Vatican), I'd like to start figuring out budget.

Thanks!

Look at the same sailing for 2024 and that will give you an idea on prices, which can only go up, so it seems.

Viator has many Rome tours listed.  We are using 1 this summer, our first for non-NCL excursion.

16 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

We usually go it on our own or sometimes go with a reliable independent company.  However, we do take ship sponsored excursions if we are going far from the port or if there are known traffic problems getting back to the port.  The "On Your Own" excursions are usually reasonably priced and often make a good compromise.  We also consider how difficult it would be to catch up with the ship.  Sometimes you would only need to take a train ride and miss dinner.  Other times it would be a much bigger deal.

I noticed that a few of the ports in the Western Med are an hour or so train rides from the 'main' city or attraction. We're looking at the 'Florence & Pisa on Your Own' for the Livorno port. We have an overnight at that port, so still trying to decide on an excursion each day, or the F&P and then explore Livorno on one of the days..

14 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Look at the same sailing for 2024 and that will give you an idea on prices, which can only go up, so it seems.

Viator has many Rome tours listed.  We are using 1 this summer, our first for non-NCL excursion.

Yes, I've been looking at the excursions on the main page which includes pricing. Agreed that prices will only go up, lol

17 hours ago, julig22 said:

Yes, there is always the possibility that they can't wait. But in that case, NCL takes on the responsibility of getting you to the next port. Rare, but it can happen.

On the other side, if you are on a private excursion and are late, they might wait for you IF you contact the ship and let them know the situation. In any case, if you call they will advise you on what to do, whether it be pick up your passport at the terminal or continue on your way to the ship, they are waiting. That was info given to us from the captain at a Q&A session, so not speculation.

100% this. The only time we've taken a private excursion was in St. Thomas. I stressed the entire time about getting back. Now no matter what, we book excursions with the ship.The $50 off per cabin, per excursion helps. The excursion we're looking at in Rome will be a pretty penny, but this will *probably* be our last cruise to the Med, so might as well do it up right!

We had one of our best activities while in Rome.  (It was not on a cruise...but should not matter.)  There is a bicycle shop (or at least there was...) on the same main road as the Colliseum.  We rented eBikes and took part on a guided tour.  We are NOT bicycle people by any stretch of the imagination...but this was the first time we had every ridden an eBike.  Man o Man...super easy!  I was able to ride up a medium steep hill while still sitting down...did not have to stand up and pump the pedals at all!  I think a lot of people would be very surprised after trying one of these bikes.  Just something to think about...and of course NOT limited to Rome at all!

• Like 3

On 3/21/2024 at 11:29 AM, kapper said:

I noticed that a few of the ports in the Western Med are an hour or so train rides from the 'main' city or attraction. We're looking at the 'Florence & Pisa on Your Own' for the Livorno port. We have an overnight at that port, so still trying to decide on an excursion each day, or the F&P and then explore Livorno on one of the days..

We are on Escape this May, and will be overnighting in Livorno.  We have set up NCL for 2nd day, but still looking at options for the first.  I can fill you in in mid June as to what happened. 

• Like 2

On 3/22/2024 at 7:07 PM, Panhandle Couple said:

We are on Escape this May, and will be overnighting in Livorno.  We have set up NCL for 2nd day, but still looking at options for the first.  I can fill you in in mid June as to what happened. 

That would be great - thank you!