Cluster in Houston.

hunt182644

Flew into IAH last Sunday to go to Galveston via Princess transfer. After a wait of over an hour they finally decided they had found a bus . there was a total of eight people in this group of passengers  We finally get to a bus that is mostly full. People say they have been on board for over an hour. After setting for another half an hour we leave terminal. Now I will add we have used Princess shuttle before and never had any kind of a problem. People on board are talking about how disorganized things have been . We finally are on our way to Galveston about half way ther driver pulls bus over, not sure to exit or go straight hmmm. A while later 25 miles out of Galveston another stop, driver on phone later find out this bus should have another group on board. Now there is more talk about how unorganized things were at airport. Phone conversation they made a suggestion that driver turn around and come back to pick up other passengers. That was vetoed luckily, I'm afraid there could have been a mutiny on the bus. We eventually get to port and it's onboard the ship yay. Come to find out this poor driver who spoke very little english had never made this run before, problem not his fault but more than likely one of his worst day's. After talking to others on the ship I kept hearing the word disorganized at the airport. Talked to one couple who had a transfer booked said they finally took an Uber to Galveston. Yes I realize there are times when things happen, will I use Princess transfer again yes. All is well we are on board enjoying another cruise, abit rough due to wind😁cruise on.

Sorry that hassle happened to you.  Hope you can now enjoy the rest of your cruise 🙂  We cruised on the Regal in January and have cruised from Galveston many times.  We live south of you in Kansas and consider Galveston a driving port.  I think many people from the Midwest drive there for the reasons and hassle you stated.  If I was going to the expense of flying to a port for a Caribbean cruise I would go from Florida (which we have done).  Much better and varied itineraries and cruise passenger infrastructure compared to Galveston IMO.  

If I'm looking at the calendar correctly the Regal will soon be transitioning to Southampton for upcoming British Isles cruises so Galveston will be done until next season.  

• Like 1

At least you had a bus show up.  We, along with approximately 100 other people, had booked the shuttle from Newark, NJ airport to the port of Brooklyn, NY for our New England Cruise with Princess in October 2022.  The buses never showed, and Princess had us take taxis or Uber from Newark to the port and reimbursed us.  Had to have cost them a pretty penny as the tolls alone from NJ to NY are $19.00 and then the Uber for DH and I was over $200.  

Transportation from Houston to Galveston and back is a pain.  Last year we booked a non-cruise shuttle both ways.  We didn't have the problems you posted, but it was still a lot of waiting and going to other areas to pick people up. Took a while. 

Coming back was somewhat easier--in fact, the shuttle company let us get on one of their buses that was leaving and had room earlier than we had booked.  Unfortunately, we had a deadly long wait for our flight; of course we had that wait no matter when we got on the shuttle.  

Having driven to Galveston when we had our own car, that isn't so easy either!

I'm not saying we will never do another cruise from Galveston, but we'd give it a hard think, mostly because of the transportation problems but also because the first and last days can be very cool in the winter.

3 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I'm not saying we will never do another cruise from Galveston, but we'd give it a hard think, mostly because of the transportation problems but also because the first and last days can be very cool in the winter.

I agree, that is another reason I would hesitate.