Tristan De Cuna on world cruise

deck chair

Posted (edited)

Hi

I will be taking my third Oceania cruise this January on Insignia.  One of the calls is Tristan De Cuna, a very sparsely populated isolated island in the middle of the South Atlantic.  Obviously, weather dependent, I have seen nothing about our day long visit in shore excursions and so am wondering how we will be getting ashore to explore since there does not appear to be any formal landing area that could accommodate the tenders.  The island only has a population of about 300 people living in a small village.  Your thoughts please.   Thank you and be well.

Deck Chair.

Edited by deck chair

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, deck chair said:

Hi

I will be taking my third Oceania cruise this January on Insignia.  One of the calls is Tristan De Cuna, a very sparsely populated isolated island in the middle of the South Atlantic.  Obviously, weather dependent, I have seen nothing about our day long visit in shore excursions and so am wondering how we will be getting ashore to explore since there does not appear to be any formal landing area that could accommodate the tenders.  The island only has a population of about 300 people living in a small village.  Your thoughts please.   Thank you and be well.

Deck Chair.

Perhaps it will be handled like a port call at Pitcairn Island in the South Pacific, which has a population of about 40.

When we made a port call there on Marina a few years ago the passengers stayed on the ship and some of the island's residents came aboard to make presentations and sell local crafts

Edit: I found this website, which says that some cruise ships will land passengers via zodiac (Oceania doesn't have them) or tender, while in other cases it's just as I described above for our visit to Pitcairn Island...island residents board the ship to speak and sell souvenirs.

https://www.tristandc.com/cruises.php#:~:text=There are a few cruise,islands of the South Atlantic.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, deck chair said:

Hi

Deck Chair.

I haven't been to Tristan da Cunha before, (although I visited St. Helena on Azamara last month) but just looking online it appears to have a small harbour.  Calshot harbour appears to be large enough to accommodate a tender providing the sea conditions cooperate.

At the end of January this year I was on a different Azamara cruise with port calls at Easter Island and Pitcairn Island.  We were able to tender ashore at both places but it was a near thing due to borderline sea conditions.  There were no ship excursions offered for our visit to Pitcairn but the ship supplied maps showing points of interest we could walk to.  Most of the 47 residents set up souvenir and handycraft stands either on the ship or at the harbour.  All the small, lightly populated, remote islands I've been to appear to have a small harbour to accomodate fishing and rescue boats.  I hope you are able to make it ashore at Tristan.

Regards, Paul

IMG_6028.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Edit: I found this website, which says that some cruise ships will land passengers via zodiac (Oceania doesn't have them)

Well, actually they do, they're just not used for passengers, at least I've never seen them use them. I have seen the crew members go out in the water by a Glacier at Hubbard bay and collect large chunks of ice to be displayed on the ship(while they lasted)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have been to Tristan (Seabourn world cruise pre-covid) and there is a small harbor where the tenders port (if you are lucky).  I would estimate that it is 50/50 if you can get in (too windy/wave height)

When I visited, there were no organized tours, we just walked around the Island for a couple hours, which was beautiful and interesting.

Later in the afternoon, some residents came onboard and sold crafts, and the Police Chief (who wrote a book) gave a lecture about life on the island.

Good luck and hope you make it in.

I will try and post some photos tomorrow.

Edited by Nachosdelux
  • Like 1