STT Beach Ratings Thread

Our personal beach rating for our 6 favorite beaches based on what we look for 😉

Share yours!

GORGEOUS WATER COLOR(S)

Sapphire *****

Smith Bay/Lindqvist ****

Coki ****

Magens Bay  ***

Secret Harbor **

Lindbergh Bay **

BEAUTIFUL ISLAND VIEWS

Sapphire *****

Smith Bay/Lindqvist *****

Coki ****

Secret Harbor **

Lindbergh Bay **

Magens Bay *

GOOD FOOD & DRINK OPTIONS

Sapphire *****

Secret Harbor *****

Lindbergh Bay ***

Coki **

Magens Bay **

Smith Bay/Lindqvist

SNORKELING

Sapphire ****

Coki ****
Secret Harbor ****

Smith Bay/Lindqvist ***

Lindbergh Bay **

Magens Bay

AMENITIES/RENTAL GEAR

Sapphire *****

Secret Harbor *****

Lindbergh Bay ****

Coki ***

Magens Bay **

Smith Bay/Lindqvist 

Average * Ratings (out of 5):
Sapphire 4.8

Secret Harbor 3.6

Coki 3.4

Lindbergh Bay 2.6

Magens Bay 1.6

• Like 1

There are other factors or considerations that can make or break your beach experience of course. All of these beaches are popular and beautiful, and you can’t make a bad choice. Just depends on how busy a vibe you want, and whether you want to snorkel or just lime…

Sapphire gets busy but has space to spread out and get a nice spot;

Coki is a much smaller bay and has a much busier vibe with many vendors;

Secret Harbour Resort accommodates day visitors but there is less space, and they restrict where you can sit. AADivers rents lounges/umbrellas, and if you are not arriving very early you should reserve the lounges in advance;

Smith Bay/Lindqvist does not have any amenities other than restrooms, at least the last I knew. But arguably the nicest beach on the island. I’m sure MS411 and others can share the current situation there;

Lindbergh Bay (AKA Emerald Beach) is a convenient option from Crown Bay;

And Magens Bay is gorgeous from high above, and is rated highly for good reason. But it gets very crowded and it is a deep, protected bay and great for families with young kids…

For a getaway there are other options but transportation is less easy…

• Like 1

One issue blue_water hasn't included on his list is how easy it is to enter and exit the water at some of the beaches.

Lindqvist/Smith Bay and Lindbergh have steeper shorelines and some people have difficulty getting out of the water. Not an issue at Magens and Coki. 

Can others comment on ease of entry?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ms411 said:

One issue blue_water hasn't included on his list is how easy it is to enter and exit the water at some of the beaches.

Lindqvist/Smith Bay and Lindbergh have steeper shorelines and some people have difficulty getting out of the water. Not an issue at Magens and Coki. 

Maybe adding travel time from Port would be a nice addition as well

5 hours ago, CroozeNoob said:

Maybe adding travel time from Port would be a nice addition as well

Yes that does matter sometimes. 
Looking at a St Thomas map, you can see that Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach for the Emerald Resort) is the most convenient to those docked at Crown Bay. Brewers is a short ride, closer to the airport. The East End beaches (Coki, Smith Bay Park, Sapphire, Secret Harbor, and Cowpet) are all a ~30 - 35minute taxi.

From Havensight (WICO), Lindbergh Bay is on the other side of Charlotte Amalie, so not convenient at all. The East End beaches are a ~20 - 25 minute ride.

Magens may be 15 minutes from either port, MS411 can you comment on that? We rarely go there…

And yes some beaches are typically calm and have a shallow entry, Magens and Secret Harbor for example. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have to agree with blue_water.

The beach you want to go to is based upon the vibe you're looking for. 

Don't let anyone fool you, you can find a nice beach and have a wonderful day on St. Thomas even with 5-6 ships in port. I've done it many times.

Sapphire gets a little busy on port days. It doesn't matter there's plenty of room great beach fabulous water and excellent views. 

Sapphire is a great never fail you beach experience. 

I've made my thoughts on Magens Bay clear for years. Awesome, one of a kind bay and beach more than 3 ships in port, it falls apart after that I can't do it. 

I love Magens Bay just like everyone else does getting in and getting out with 5-7 ships in port, exactly Sapphire Beach😎.

I prefer the east side of the island beaches, a little quieter better views chillin vibe. It's nice over there. 

Secret Harbor is great if you like to snorkel it's a great swimming beach love the Sunset Grille I love that place the beach is somewhat small though. 

If it were me get on your roll call, put a group together. As a group head over to Sapphire Beach or at least one of the nicer beaches on the other side of the island. Another thing on the way back you can have your taxi driver stop and you can pick up a drink or a cold beer. That's what's so nice about St. Thomas you can responsibly drink alcohol, openly.

Exactly that's why we keep going back. 

Hope this helps.

TTE

On 4/1/2024 at 4:47 AM, Ms411 said:

I found Sapphire to be extremely rocky, and I’m not tender footed. It was also extremely rough when we were there. Love Magen’s and Secret Harbour. 

5 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

I found Sapphire to be extremely rocky, and I’m not tender footed. It was also extremely rough when we were there. Love Magen’s and Secret Harbour. 

Yes all bays that are not fully protected by a reef or a deep inlet are prone to shifting sand and rough water when there are undesirable sea conditions or high winds…And of course the area in front of the SBRM condo buildings is all rock, with the sandy area near the beach bar.
Sorry that was your experience as Sapphire is amazing on normal days 🙁

Blue_water, that's a great explanation. If you look at island maps for many of the Caribbean islands, many of the beaches on other islands are not in protected coves so water conditions may be less predictable. Travel articles are usually written to promote a location, and many of the Caribbean articles give the impression that most Caribbean beaches are the same.

If calm water is a priority, look for smaller protected beaches by looking at the island's map.

Also EPA requires USVI regular water testing for many popular beaches, and the standards are pretty high. I'll see if I can find the site to check which beaches didn't meet EPA standards during the latest check, and post in a separate thread.

Beaches that don't meet standards during the test might be a concern for immunity vulnerable people, but usually fine for others. If beach has high levels it will be closed to everyone (or should I say those who heed precautions).😊

21 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Also EPA requires USVI regular water testing for many popular beaches, and the standards are pretty high. I'll see if I can find the site to check which beaches didn't meet EPA standards during the latest check, and post in a separate thread.

Beaches that don't meet standards during the test might be a concern for immunity vulnerable people, but usually fine for others. If beach has high levels it will be closed to everyone (or should I say those who heed precautions).😊

Another good point…I remember when we were staying in SXM, Great Bay was closed for a period of time due to toxins that contaminated the bay during storms…