Included tours on River Cruises

SelectSys

My spouse and I are taking our first ever river cruise next month in Europe.  Neither of us have been big time shore excursion people preferring to just go it alone in port.  What do these included tours on river cruises tend to be?  Are they worth taking or should we just continue to go it alone?

If it makes any difference, we are taking Avalon Waterways which is owned by a big land tour operator - Globus.

At least for viking, our included tours were great.   Typically a short walking tour of port city,  then we could go back on our own to spend time in a particular area that interested us.   That is typical but not always the case.   Some might be a bus ride to a site outside the port city and thus a longer excursion. 

Be careful with private excursions and DIY as it is possible they could move the boat during the time you are off and s private tour would not know that.     Typically they should be very clear about that before you leave in the morning however.   

• Like 1

DW and I were not ship excursion people either – before we started river cruising.  There are at least five reasons why you pretty much have to take the ship excursions on a river cruise: (1) docking times are not known beforehand, as there is often a wait at the locks or other reasons the ship gets in later than originally expected [and they don't tell you when that was]; (2) docking locations aren't known beforehand – they are assigned by the harbor master at the last minute – and sometimes the ship has to change docking locations during the day; (3) the ship may sail while you are on shore to get a head start to the next port – if you are DIY, you are also left behind; (4) on a positive note: the ship excursions [at least on the lines we have sailed, AMA and Scenic] are very good, with a range of options that lets you choose something that really floats your boat and local guides who really know the area [even better than Rick Steves – and I'm a big Rick Steves fan!]; (5) they're included, so you've already paid for them.

• Like 5

Everything said above I agree with.

Our personal experience...

Many people think that the included tours are just superficial city highlights, but we find that walking alone we see things and don't know what their significance is.  On the included walking or bus tour, you get a running commentary of the history and the significant sites, monuments, and culture.

We learn so much from the included tours.  Optional tours we do as well, but they have to be of very specific significance to us to pay extra.

The other thing about the optional city walk or bus and shopping/free time, is we will often then separate from the tour and stay in the town or city and return to the ship when we have had our fill.  Often the tour shows us what we want to see in more detail.

Just be sure to let your guide know if you are separating from the tour so they are not looking for you or waiting for you.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, SelectSys said:

My spouse and I are taking our first ever river cruise next month in Europe.  Neither of us have been big time shore excursion people preferring to just go it alone in port.

For you first river cruise just take the included excursion and make up your own mind; as @CDNPolar says you can bale out and do your own thing if you decide it's not for you.

You say this is your first, but then say you prefer to  go it alone in ports, by which I assume you have been on ocean cruises.

On river cruises you are heading along an ancient trade artery and stopping in the centre of ancient towns and cities. You can leave the boat anytime, no tenders, no restrictions, and there will be time to do this.

Sure you can do a walk on your own, but the supplied local guide will tell you the history of the 500 year old building you see. For me, the shallow steps I walked up in Antwerp would have been just steps without the guide telling us they were known as the 'bloody steps' because they were next to the Butchers Guild building and blood & innards flowed down the steps like a waterfall from the abattoir above.

Enjoy - I expect this won't be the only river trip you'll go on.

image.thumb.png.97d3745fd196272b649d15dc4a207514.png

The steps, Butchers Guild building to left (I assumed it was a church)

Edited by pontac
  • Like 2

Thanks to all for their input!  I appreciate all your comments.

12 hours ago, CCJack said:

Typically a short walking tour of port city,

This was my expectation along with maybe a bus tour.

12 hours ago, CCJack said:

move the boat during the time you are off and s private tour would not know that.     Typically they should be very clear about that before you leave in the morning however

Good point.  As you said, hopefully the boat's schedule is well known and public before you leave the ship.  

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We learn so much from the included tours.

Yes, I agree that you'll learn more on tours even, at least in my case, I tend not to retain too much long term.

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

The other thing about the optional city walk or bus and shopping/free time, is we will often then separate from the tour and stay in the town or city and return to the ship when we have had our fill

I like this strategy. 

2 hours ago, pontac said:

For you first river cruise just take the included excursion and make up your own mind

That's most likely what we will do.  

but then say you prefer to  go it alone in ports, by which I assume you have been on ocean cruises

You are correct.  We have been on a variety of ocean cruises over the years and are looking forward to trying something new and visit areas unreachable by large ships while retaining the ease of cruising - e.g

You can leave the boat anytime, no tenders, no restrictions, and there will be time to do this.

Yes, I am hoping that the river cruise provides a more immersive travel experience rather than the typical ocean cruise port stay of 8 or so hours.

Enjoy - I expect this won't be the only river trip you'll go on.

Thanks so much!  

• Like 2

We have been on a few river cruises, including one with Avalon.  The included tours are usually pretty good, and typically include "time on your own," either where you walk back on your own or the bus is scheduled for later on--depending upon the situation.  I second the point made above--you can always bail on your tour--we have done this on occasion.  Have a great trip!

• Like 1

I've only traveled with Avalon and I'm with you on not being keen on excursions, however, these tours are included in the price of your cruise and for the most part they are pretty good.  I can't think of too many I didn't like.  I wish I had passed on the Vietnamese water puppet show but what can you do and I wasn't too excited with the Music machine museum in Germany.  We tend to do a combo of going on the provided tour and going off on our own, esp when there's an overnight in that stop.

The nice thing is you can decide as you go.  No need to choose now ... wing it and do what you want on your vacation.

• Like 1

Try an included tour and if you absolutely cannot continue with it before you leave it please inform the tour guide. He/She may not need or be concerned but if they are and have to answer to the ship it’s their head on the line. Also make sure you know your location as to where you are ship wise it’s really easy in a strange - to you - area to be not sure (note I did not say confused only to be used with us oldies) what direction the ships docking situation is.

I’ve seen cruisers return to a vessel wondering what all the fuss is about! Not realising that the company is about to be fined by the local docking agency for not leaving their mooring on time. River cruising may look cool and smooth but behind it is actually quite a slick logistical operation, your working with the Dutch and the Germans here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Also make sure you know your location as to where you are ship wise it’s really easy in a strange - to you - area to be not sure (note I did not say confused only to be used with us oldies) what direction the ships docking situation is.

Most smartphones today you can "drop a pin" when you are departing the ship and then you can run your GPS or map app to direct you back to the ship.

The other oldie but goodie is to either take a picture of the ships location on the Daily activity sheet, or most guest service desks have cards that you can pick up with the location and the ships phone number.  You can then ask a local to guide you.

• Like 1

As stated above, the included tours are usually great. You get the basic local history, and with Avalon, most guides are local, so can often fill you in with some tidbits you would never find in a guide. You usually have a good hour or more after to wander around on your own, so you get the best of both worlds.  

A great example of the extra you get from a guide - on our excursion to Colmar, after the "tour" our guide asked if anyone wanted to have an extra tour of the Isenheim Altarpiece. We had just seen a show on it so of course we jumped on it. I think about 3 other couples joined in. Our guide gave a great explanation of all the aspects of the Altarpiece, and was very informative. 

On the other hand, when we were going to the Black Forest Outdoor Museum (it wasn't a day long tour as it is now, only 1/2 day) we got caught in one of the little villages and stuck in a traffic jam, making us late getting there. The guide let us know we would only have 1 1/2 hr to see it in order to get back to the ship in time. We have done several of these museums, so didn't need the "history" of how everyone lived back then, so skipped the tour and did our own wandering around and were fine. The ones who stayed with the guide ended up with limited time to tour around the buildings after her explanation and all the other questions that guests were asking.

18 hours ago, Rebel54 said:

I've only traveled with Avalon and I'm with you on not being keen on excursions, however, these tours are included in the price of your cruise and for the most part they are pretty good.  I can't think of too many I didn't like.  I wish I had passed on the Vietnamese water puppet show but what can you do and I wasn't too excited with the Music machine museum in Germany.  We tend to do a combo of going on the provided tour and going off on our own, esp when there's an overnight in that stop.

The nice thing is you can decide as you go.  No need to choose now ... wing it and do what you want on your vacation.

Here's a thing about the music machine museum in Germany.  I looked at that and thought it would be a waste of time, but I went anyway, and really liked it, and still look back on it fondly.  Obviously, Rebel54 felt the opposite.  This is my point--you never really know until you see it--sometimes you will be happy, sometimes not so much.  (Also, I was not thrilled at the water puppets, but my wife loved them.  Go figure.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JordanF said:

Here's a thing about the music machine museum in Germany.  I looked at that and thought it would be a waste of time, but I went anyway, and really liked it, and still look back on it fondly.  Obviously, Rebel54 felt the opposite.  This is my point--you never really know until you see it--sometimes you will be happy, sometimes not so much.  (Also, I was not thrilled at the water puppets, but my wife loved them.  Go figure.)

Too funny.  Most of our group agreed on the water puppets.  Bottom line is you won't know if you don't go :). 

2 hours ago, Kristelle said:

I found that music museum tour really interesting.  It might depend on which guide you get there., the one on the day we visited was really good. 

Agree - I was not really interested in visiting -but the guide (a young man dressed in tux tails, & top hat) was outstanding and the excursion ended up being a fascinating and enjoyable afternoon. 

7 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Ohh makes me think of Rudesheimer Coffee! Definitely not to be missed.

There are two places a few steps from the music museum and Christmas shop that sell the best!

I can't believe I missed the coffee.  Now I'm going to have to plan another cruise so I can try it.  I don't recall anyone mentioning it when we were there.

• Haha 1

20230428_Rudesheim%20coffee-K.jpg

Rudesheim Coffees were given out during our Viking trips along the Middle Rhine. Can't say what they tasted like as I don't like sweet drinks or cream, but they looked very pretty.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, pontac said:
20230428_Rudesheim%20coffee-K.jpg

Rudesheim Coffees were given out during our Viking trips along the Middle Rhine. Can't say what they tasted like as I don't like sweet drinks or cream, but they looked very pretty.

Way too sweet for me.  Tried it, but could only have one sip.  I guess for those that like sweet, this would be prefect.  For me coffee is black or with cream/milk but no sweet.

You are right however - very pretty looking - the presentation is very appetizing!  Looks like a dessert.

Edited by CDNPolar

3 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

For me coffee is black or with cream/milk but no sweet

The Rudesheim Coffee also contained brandy! And that's a chocolate straw!

For me coffee is black. Coffee, hot water and nothing else. Which makes me fume at coffee shops when people in front are having a zillion of ingredients in their so called coffee.

I'm also grumpy because I can no longer ask for a black coffee but they insist it's an americano.

Grump over: I'm going to make myself a Nescafe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes ask for a ‘black coffee’ and the server says ah yes an Americano will that be with ‘milk’ dahhhhh. Another dislike is Irish coffee with squirty cream. Leave me to hunt say in Whittards to find different coffee beans to try.