Question about Alaska

ronrick1943

2 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Psst!  To see the Northern Lights, you need night -- which is in short supply during Alaskan summers  😉 

We had the same problem in Norway in June.  🙂

6 minutes ago, Kay S said:

We had the same problem in Norway in June.  🙂

We did our Norwegian coastal cruise on Hurtigruten in March and they guaranteed you a second free cruise if the lights weren't available. And THEY were the 'decider.'

14 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Psst!  To see the Northern Lights, you need night -- which is in short supply during Alaskan summers  😉 

We'll be on a late September/October cruise-should have longer nights--after Alaskan we head for Tokyo.

8 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Better chances than July.  🙂 

https://www.spaceweather.gov/ has Aurora forecasts -- but be aware the green only marks less than 50:50 chance, what you want to see is red.

Thanks, didn't think about looking at that site.  It's not like I have to see it, but it would it would be nice.  I enjoy cruising, everything else that happens during a cruise is a bonus.

52 minutes ago, Tr1v1alCru1ser said:

We did the Alaska cruise in May time.  Unfortunately, the only thing we saw were about a million bald eagles.  After the first 2, they all looked the same! 😁

Isn’t it amazing how many there are?  Like crows down here!

On the last Alaska cruise we took, I was sitting on the balcony and a Bald Eagle flew and landed on the railing of my balcony.  They are big, I thought after landing and seeing me he'd take off.  That wasn't the case, he stayed for about 30 minutes - and yes I didn't move until he was on his way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We've done two end of the season cruises to Alaska and did not see the Northern Lights. That early in the fall season would have been a tremendous bonus.

Good luck!