Balcony Cabin on the Fjords

Hi

I am looking for a cruise of the FJords in July/August 2024 for 7 nights from SOuthampton, we have a cruised a few times, Caribbean/Transatlantic & the Med with RCCI & MSC, we usually get a cabin with a balcony as we like to sit on the balcony in the evening and watch the world pass by and read, which is nice in warmer cimbs, I am just windering if the balcony will be worth having for the Fjords, would it be warm enough at night to sit on the balcony?

Thanks for any advice.

It is too cold to sit on the balcony in the evening. If the itineary includes the deep fjords, my recommendation is to enjoy the view from the upper decks, as the view from a balcony is limited to one side. For that matter, I always have a balcony cabin - also on Norway's fjord cruise.

None of my Norwegian cruises have included a balcony, and I’ve never really missed it. I do prefer having a window to bring in an indoor cabin, since it feels weird to be completely shut away from the beautiful scenery. But that’s just a matter of being used to an inside cabin and knowing how to compensate.

I actually have a balcony in Norway, and honestly I only sit out on it in the evening a few times per year! But I can understand wanting the option to be available. However, if you’re going to be spending time on it (especially when the ship is under way), be prepared to bundle up a bit!

The reason we've chosen a veranda cabin is because we will have immediate access to be able to photograph scenery as we cruise the fjords. 

For those familiar with Celebrity Edge class series of ships, we opted for a porthole veranda cabin vs. the plethora of infinite verandas with their shades that cover the view if down, which they likely would be given late sunsets and early sunrises so far north.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replies, I will go ahead and see if I can book a balcony cabin, will take lots of warm clothes to wrap up so I can sit and read later in the evenings ! 

I am currently looking at a P&O Britannia Cruise from Southampton at the end of June, which has quite small balconys (no need for a stretch out sunbed!!!).

Edited by ecnirp

We sail Princess and always get two of the MUTS blankets to keep on hand in the cabin.  Handy for afternoon naps and sitting on the balcony if it's a bit cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2024 at 3:41 PM, ecnirp said:

Thanks for the replies, I will go ahead and see if I can book a balcony cabin, will take lots of warm clothes to wrap up so I can sit and read later in the evenings ! 

I am currently looking at a P&O Britannia Cruise from Southampton at the end of June, which has quite small balconys (no need for a stretch out sunbed!!!).

Best to take layers rather than just warm clothing. When we visited there was a heat wave and we spent 2 weeks in shorts and t.shirts. We were often round the pool for the sail aways and only needed a jumper later in the evening.  However, it can be cold and also rainy!

With regards to balcony cabin, it's lovely to get up early and sit out to watch the sail up the fjords. It's absolutely gorgeous 

Posted (edited)

This will be our first balcony cabin, and we're going in May. We expect to have to bundle up when on the balcony, but I would expect July and August to be fine for you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by roomba920

We did a 14 day Norway cruise in July 2023 on Holland America. Loved being on the balcony, scenery is just stunning! Be advised that at that time of year you will not notice sunsets much being quite far north. Weather can be changeable so best to pack a raincoat and layers. We spent a lot of time on our balcony and did not find it that chilly.

Posted (edited)

You never can tell...

I did a North Cape cruise June 2023. It was much warmer than I expected everywhere. For example, it was 32 degrees C ( 90F) at Trollveggen (Åndalsnes). I was glad I packed extra polo shirts and shorts.

I really enjoyed having a glass of wine and a snack on my balcony with all that gorgeous scenery passing by.

Edited by cavecreekguy

One of my cruises on the coast had a day that was almost 30°C and a day with a high of 5°C. This is why the advice is to always pack layers. The temperatures vary significantly according to weather, and while we do have some very warm days, there is no warm season. (Yet. Climate change has started seeing some new trends with longer continuous stretches of warm weather in recent years.)

There is definitely an advantage to having a balcony, and if you are the type to always book one elsewhere, then you will definitely want one in Norway. If you’re on the fence because of the price and don’t mind planning to be up on deck for the scenery, then it’s not a must have. And if you’re doing cost analysis and debating between a balcony and a more desirable itinerary, choose the better itinerary.