Carnival - Premium Internet Plan Multiple Device

34 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

No, they don't. They include it in the price of the room or Big Mac.

The cost of materials has nothing to do with the retail price of a good.

Do you think that PB&J on the room service menu costs Carnival $6? LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

The cost of materials has nothing to do with the retail price of a good.

Do you think that PB&J on the room service menu costs Carnival $6? LOL

I'm sure it doesn't, since they only charge $5 for the sandwich and that includes chips and a cookie. LOL.

When services or products are bundled in with a good, the cost is absolutely a consideration in the selling price.

Carnival-RS-1-Mains.thumb.jpg.a1a5cf3d4e1420c92ae4ca9bea44ece2.jpg

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I'm sure it doesn't, since they only charge $5 for the sandwich and that includes chips and a cookie. LOL.

When services or products are bundled in with a good, the cost is absolutely a consideration in the selling price.

Carnival-RS-1-Mains.thumb.jpg.a1a5cf3d4e1420c92ae4ca9bea44ece2.jpg

fair enough lol 

4 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Is electricity free to them? NO Is water free to them? NO

Is the internet an essential utility in 2024 to most people ? YES

Can most people live without internet for a week? YES. And most can live without electricity for a week too. What’s your point?  
Mine is that internet access is an essential utility in 2024 and no longer a luxury. 

And you totally missed the point

4 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Is electricity free to them? NO Is water free to them? NO

Is the internet an essential utility in 2024 to most people ? YES

Can most people live without internet for a week? YES. And most can live without electricity for a week too. What’s your point?  
Mine is that internet access is an essential utility in 2024 and no longer a luxury. 

My point is that those things I mentioned are things they have to pay for in addition to everything they have ever provided (things like you mentioned).  They have to pay for starlink.  A lot.  Internet is DEF not a necessity, it is a luxury.  To ask to have them raise fares for all so that the few are not burdened (and in fact openly state they do not want it) is fool hardy at best.  

24 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Internet is DEF not a necessity, it is a luxury. 

Internet ON A CRUISE SHIP is a luxury.

Internet access at home is a necessity.

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

If Internet is a necessity, we are doomed.

Huh?

Were we doomed when having a phone was a necessity?

Because today - you largely can't make a phone call without using the internet.

At it's most basic - pretty much all phone communication today is covering at least part of it's journey as VoIP.

41 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Huh?

Were we doomed when having a phone was a necessity?

Because today - you largely can't make a phone call without using the internet.

At it's most basic - pretty much all phone communication today is covering at least part of it's journey as VoIP.

So all an enemy needs to do is take out an internet backbone, and they have won. We are doomed. How did we ever get here?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

So all an enemy needs to do is take out an internet backbone, and they have won. We are doomed. How did we ever get here?

The beauty of the internet is it is highly redundant. There is no such thing as an "internet backbone" that could doom humanity.

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

The beauty of the internet is it is highly redundant. There is no such thing as an "internet backbone" that could doom humanity.

That explains all the outages.

Long ago in a past life (business life that is) I attended a data security conference. One of the key speakers was a guy names Ed Amaruso (I think) who was the chief security officer for ATT.  In a key note speaker h he talked to the plan (never happened) where the internet was two distinct levels, one for everyone and one much more structured and secure.  There are was of addressing security now which is really a hybrid of his plan but his offered lots more.  We are where we are.  

21 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

That explains all the outages.

There has not been an internet outage that would cause us all to be doomed, and there never will be.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

There has not been an internet outage that would cause us all to be doomed, and there never will be.

Both natural and man made events could cause the Internet to be down for weeks, months, or longer. I know I would survive but am not sure about others.

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Both natural and man made events could cause the Internet to be down for weeks, months, or longer. I know I would survive but am not sure about others.

Simply impossible for the entire Internet to go down globally. Google may go down. Amazon may go down. Your local ISP may go down. Your cellular carrier may go down. But the Internet at large will self-heal essentially immediately.

7 hours ago, mz-s said:

Simply impossible for the entire Internet to go down globally. Google may go down. Amazon may go down. Your local ISP may go down. Your cellular carrier may go down. But the Internet at large will self-heal essentially immediately.

Who was talking globally? And many civilizations would survive just fine without electricity, much less Internet. But nothing is impossible. The best disaster recovery plan can't mitigate everything.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Who was talking globally? And many civilizations would survive just fine without electricity, much less Internet. But nothing is impossible. The best disaster recovery plan can't mitigate everything.

You said in post 34 if an enemy took out a backbone, we'd be doomed.

To me that means a global outage that lasts for days, weeks, months.

Don't want to derail this thread any more so this will be my last reply on the topic. But my point was that it's impossible for there to be a widespead total and complete collapse of the internet.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

And many civilizations would survive just fine without electricity, much less Internet. But nothing is impossible.

Personally, I think my work and home life would be a nightmare without electricity, internet access, winter heat, cell service, gas for my car, or fresh water supply for more than 3 days.  Would I survive?  Sure.  Would I be unhappy?  Yep.

I do believe internet in 2024 belongs with the other utilities. It's not a luxury for me anymore.  It's necessary for me. If you want your cruise to be a camping experience, enjoy.  

7 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Personally, I think my work and home life would be a nightmare without electricity, internet access, winter heat, cell service, gas for my car, or fresh water supply for more than 3 days.  Would I survive?  Sure.  Would I be unhappy?  Yep.

I do believe internet in 2024 belongs with the other utilities. It's not a luxury for me anymore.  It's necessary for me. If you want your cruise to be a camping experience, enjoy.  

SI think you just proved the post you quoted point.  If it is a necessity for you (might be close to such for me) than you (or I) can purchase it.  For those who less inclined, they can say no thanks.  Hvaning everybody pay for it makes no sense.

• Like 1

Most amenities are not used by every single guest.  Cruise lines decide which ones they can charge extra for and which ones are included.  What may be luxury for some may not be for others.  You could have this same discussions about every amenity - I don’t use the pools and hot tubs, why should I be subsidizing those that use them? Piano Bar, Comedy, Pizza and on and on. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Most amenities are not used by every single guest.  Cruise lines decide which ones they can charge extra for and which ones are included.  What may be luxury for some may not be for others.  You could have this same discussions about every amenity - I don’t use the pools and hot tubs, why should I be subsidizing those that use them? Piano Bar, Comedy, Pizza and on and on. 

Because some things are included in base fare and some are not..  It is not up to us to decide what is included in base fare and what is not.  Internet is not.  Does not matter if you use a pool, it is included.  Does not matter if you think hot tubs, they are included.  Same for the rest.  Has absolutely nothing to do with you putting a word like luxury on it.  Still makes no sense.  

37 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Because some things are included in base fare and some are not..  It is not up to us to decide what is included in base fare and what is not.  Internet is not.  Does not matter if you use a pool, it is included.  Does not matter if you think hot tubs, they are included.  Same for the rest.  Has absolutely nothing to do with you putting a word like luxury on it.  Still makes no sense.  

That was the point. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Because some things are included in base fare and some are not..  It is not up to us to decide what is included

It’s evolutionary and competitive. What was included yesterday may not be included tomorrow. And vice-versa. 
Carnival didn’t charge for internet on my 1980’s cruises and calling home on the ship-to-shore phone was super expensive. 
Skeet shooting off the ship stern was costly. 

Edited by mfs2k

23 hours ago, mz-s said:

You said in post 34 if an enemy took out a backbone, we'd be doomed.

To me that means a global outage that lasts for days, weeks, months.

Don't want to derail this thread any more so this will be my last reply on the topic. But my point was that it's impossible for there to be a widespead total and complete collapse of the internet.

We agree to disagree. 

10 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

It’s evolutionary and competitive. What was included yesterday may not be included tomorrow. And vice-versa. 
Carnival didn’t charge for internet on my 1980’s cruises and calling home on the ship-to-shore phone was super expensive. 
Skeet shooting off the ship stern was costly. 

Royal doesn't include Internet and charges even more. Perhaps Carnival should price match.