New to Princess, 12 Day Scotland Cruise

TinyG

9 hours ago, insidecabin said:

Edinburgh.

Look up x99 cruise bus(30min depending on traffic).

£12(2024) and includes an all day transportation ticket.

(Princes on your own $100)

Once in the city take the tram to Royal Yacht area.

Thank you, for the tram. Is that easy to find? Do you know the name, so I can look where that goes to. 

9 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I’ve never heard of this term before.  

Carnival has it on thier ships I have read, but we usually attend on X.

From the web. 

What is a silent disco on a cruise?

If you walk in and see a room full of people dancing in silence, you've come to the right place. Welcome to the Silent Party, where DJs battle it out in a contest of quiet beats you can only hear through your headphones. Just choose your music channel and groove to the rhythms.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 8.40.29 AM.png

1 hour ago, TinyG said:

Thank you, for the tram. Is that easy to find? Do you know the name, so I can look where that goes to. 

https://edinburghtrams.com/
You want to get on at St Andrew Square (about 2-3 minutes walk from Edinburgh Waverley). 
But if the stop before Waverley for your train is Haymarket, then get off there.  The tram stops right outside this much smaller and more easily navigated station. https://maps.app.goo.gl/9x5B3sUKshbnu1vt7

The end of the tram line is Edinburgh Airport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TinyG said:

Does Princess have Silent Disco? We have enjoyed that in the past. I've not see that on any trip reports yet.

This kind of activity is usually rolled out fleet wide maybe a few ships at a time or all at once. On the Ruby this past March I did not see it. Feel it isn't something Princess is doing right now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

You want to get on at St Andrew Square (about 2-3 minutes walk from Edinburgh Waverley). 
But if the stop before Waverley for your train is Haymarket, then get off there.  The tram stops right outside this much smaller and more easily navigated station. https://maps.app.goo.gl/9x5B3sUKshbnu1vt7

Perfect! Thank you so much. Outstanding!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, insidecabin said:

Edinburgh.

Look up x99 cruise bus(30min depending on traffic).

£12(2024) and includes an all day transportation ticket.

(Princes on your own $100)

Once in the city take the tram to Royal Yacht area.

And remember, the tram (and every city bus) is free if you've bought an X99 ticket!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TinyG said:

Thank you for the Transpo name, I will look them up. Do you remember the cost? Last time we stayed at the Hilton Heathrow by Terminal 5. We took a car from the hotel and had a great tour of Windsor. We actually left our luggage at the hotel took the train into London and stayed one night did more exploring before heading back to Heathrow.

I've seen the Roxy listed on a travel website, that gnome is so knowledgeable!  We stayed at the Holiday Inn last time in Southampton next to the terminal, but I want a hotel a little farther away from the port. While my DH did not mind the luggage dragging, I did. Those little cobbles everywhere. I have a few more months before I can book the hotel.

We did walk from the HInn into town for dinner and exploring, so a closer to town would be better. The lovely taxi to the pier even better! The port schedule has not opened the last time I checked to see what terminal the ship would be at.

It was 295 pounds.  He was there with our name at the airport.  Great guy, shared lots of information with us.  He was also right there at the end of the cruise.  We wanted to do a Windsor Castle tour with the transfer to Southampton, but it was not open that day.  

We had 2 days in Southampton, it was a great place to wander with lots of sights to see.  The Roxy is a funky place but we would stay there again.  It’s a Bonvoy property.  They set up the taxi to the pier for us the evening before.  Wonderful people working there.  We love the Regal, it was a full sailing but never felt crowded.  We did splurge on a Reserve Mini Suite - never waited to be seated at dinner.  It was a lovely experience.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

It was 295 pounds.  He was there with our name at the airport.  Great guy, shared lots of information with us.  He was also right there at the end of the cruise.  We wanted to do a Windsor Castle tour with the transfer to Southampton, but it was not open that day.  

We had 2 days in Southampton, it was a great place to wander with lots of sights to see.  The Roxy is a funky place but we would stay there again.  It’s a Bonvoy property.  They set up the taxi to the pier for us the evening before.  Wonderful people working there.  We love the Regal, it was a full sailing but never felt crowded.  We did splurge on a Reserve Mini Suite - never waited to be seated at dinner.  It was a lovely experience.

It's "Moxy".  Very small rooms (transit style room) next to the Quay Mall.  It has a Krispy Kreme Donut shop.  

Check out live theater while in Southampton.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TinyG said:

Carnival has it on thier ships I have read, but we usually attend on X.

From the web. 

What is a silent disco on a cruise?

If you walk in and see a room full of people dancing in silence, you've come to the right place. Welcome to the Silent Party, where DJs battle it out in a contest of quiet beats you can only hear through your headphones. Just choose your music channel and groove to the rhythms.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 8.40.29 AM.png

I’ve seen and indeed taken part in silent discos but they are usually far from silent. You might have four different songs being played and most people sing along loudly. It’s a lot of fun and popular on many cruise lines now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

It's "Moxy".  Very small rooms (transit style room) next to the Quay Mall.  It has a Krispy Kreme Donut shop.  

Check out live theater while in Southampton.  

You are so right.  My bad.  Moxy.  We loved the location.

40 minutes ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

You are so right.  My bad.  Moxy.  We loved the location.

I am hoping that the smallness of the room will be okay.  Many have said the location is great, but the room is pretty "modern".  I like Bonvoy brands (most of the time).

3 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

To go to royal yacht they need to route to Newhaven not the airport

20 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

To go to royal yacht they need to route to Newhaven not the airport

Oops!  Got mixed up with another thread that was asking about getting to the airport to pick up a car after getting off the train.  I'll go and lie down!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TinyG said:

You might have seen that I got mixed up with another thread and thought you were on the train wanting to get to the airport!

From the X99 stop double back on George Street; cross St Andrew Square through the gardens and past the Melville Monument; and you're at the tram stop.  Catch the tram to Newhaven (heading to your left as you exit the gardens) and get off at Ocean Terminal.  The Royal Yacht Britannia is accessed via the shopping mall.

While you're there, consider visiting the Port of Leith Distillery (https://www.leithdistillery.com/) the world's first vertical whisky distillery.  The views from the top are fantastic on a clear day, and if you don't want a tour you can still visit and have a coffee or drink.

• Like 1

Great, I will update my notes. Thank you...

I really want to find a Gin place! I really enjoyed the Beefeater tour while in London, it was just 4 total people! Lots of information and they were pouring so many Gins they had. Wonderful 😁

We've done Jameson & Guinness before on our last visit to Dublin. I love to see the Tanqueray distillery, but I seen it on the map, and out of our distance range this time. Unless you know of a place that would have the the line up.

I think we will try the Edinburgh Gin showroom as it looks impressive, and tasty! I plan on buying some and taking it back home. I really want to find the Tanqueray Zero Proof 0.0, as they don't have that in the US. I wonder how they would treat that bottle coming back onboard? 

9 hours ago, TinyG said:

Great, I will update my notes. Thank you...

I really want to find a Gin place! I really enjoyed the Beefeater tour while in London, it was just 4 total people! Lots of information and they were pouring so many Gins they had. Wonderful 😁

We've done Jameson & Guinness before on our last visit to Dublin. I love to see the Tanqueray distillery, but I seen it on the map, and out of our distance range this time. Unless you know of a place that would have the the line up.

I think we will try the Edinburgh Gin showroom as it looks impressive, and tasty! I plan on buying some and taking it back home. I really want to find the Tanqueray Zero Proof 0.0, as they don't have that in the US. I wonder how they would treat that bottle coming back onboard? 

Edinburgh Gin have closed their current location, opening what looks like a spectacular new distillery & showroom, but not until autumn this year (https://www.edinburghgin.com/our-distillery).  An aside for me is that I see that it's going to be in the arches that our family business occupied 50+ years ago!

The two other gin distilleries that I'm aware of are Summerhall Distillery (https://summerhalldistillery.com/collections/pickerings-gin) and Lind & Lime (https://lindandlime.com/).  I toured Summerhall a few years ago and it was interesting.  Lind & Lime are the sister company of the Port of Leith Distillery I mentioned in my previous post and I'm going on a tour soon.

Lind & Lime are probably easier to get to if you're visiting Britannia - a ~10 minute walk from Ocean Terminal.  There are lots of public transport options to get back into town, all free with your X99 ticket.  The number 10 or 16 bus, or the tram, all work to return to the x99 in George Street, the 35, the 7, or the 14 if you want to get nearer the Royal Mile.  https://www.lothianbuses.com/  The public transport option on Google Maps works well.  To add real-time bus information, download the Transport for Edinburgh App: https://tfeapp.com/  

Enjoy your day!

• Thanks 2

I did not want to be a newbie & have the blue sea witch on this cruise, we are booking tomorrow on the Majestic Princess 5 day cruise in October!

• Like 1