3rd passenger

e&mcruise

Hi all, 

We are looking at our 2nd Cunard cruise in QG. We would like to take my widowed mother but find the 100% solo supplement hard to swallow. As we all want to dine together in QG, could we book all three of us in to one QG cabin and then book a second Britannia balcony cabin for my mother to sleep in? On initial quotes, this would be a cheaper option than two QG suites allowing for the single supplement.

Thanks in advance.

Yes that should work . We are planning to do similar when my newly born grandson is old enough to cruise. We are going to book an inside for me though and I will have most of my meals as  QG room service looking after the baby. 

Depends on the ship and the cabin.

QV 1s have a separate snug which is a second single bedroom so no need for a second cabin although if we sailed with anyone  other than family, we'd def. book an inside for night time.

QE and QV's 2s have separate master bedrooms so the sofa bed in the sitting rooms would be separate, same with QE1s.

Other than that, I know of passengers who booked a Q6 or a 5, and an inside as he snores! 😁

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

Hi all, 

We are looking at our 2nd Cunard cruise in QG. We would like to take my widowed mother but find the 100% solo supplement hard to swallow. As we all want to dine together in QG, could we book all three of us in to one QG cabin and then book a second Britannia balcony cabin for my mother to sleep in? On initial quotes, this would be a cheaper option than two QG suites allowing for the single supplement.

Thanks in advance.

On the face of it that would work however your mother will only be able to dine in the Brittania restaurant.

I had exactly this situation on the WV for the Qv on which we are still on. I was unable to add my partner who decided at the last minute to join us  for a sector and they would not let me add him to my Princess booking so I had to book him into an Ocean View  for the sector just to get him on the ship. Unfortunately they would not let him dine in Princess even though I had paid the 200% supplement.

No amount of explaining that I had already paid for him seemed to make them see sense.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

No amount of explaining that I had already paid for him seemed to make them see sense.

Whilst I can appreciate the situation I suspect that they have heard every excuse under the sun as to why somebody should be allowed to dine in PG/QG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

On the face of it that would work however your mother will only be able to dine in the Brittania restaurant.

I had exactly this situation on the WV for the Qv on which we are still on. I was unable to add my partner who decided at the last minute to join us  for a sector and they would not let me add him to my Princess booking so I had to book him into an Ocean View  for the sector just to get him on the ship. Unfortunately they would not let him dine in Princess even though I had paid the 200% supplement.

That sounds like a different situation, if the OP is able to book their mother into the QG cabin, she will be able to dine in QG.

@e&mcruise I have no idea how this would work but a Travel Agent or Cunard direct should be able to advise.

It's good to hear that you want to return to Cunard after your first experience. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, david63 said:

Whilst I can appreciate the situation I suspect that they have heard every excuse under the sun as to why somebody should be allowed to dine in PG/QG

I agree, they have heard every excuse under the sun but surely if you have paid the double supplement and also purchased another stateroom (which went empty) then its not different from having them in the original booking?

Posted (edited)

Someone we sailed with did exactly this.

They, as a couple, booked themselves and their father into the QG cabin they were in, so he was listed as a QG guest and the third person in that cabin which was paid for.

He also booked himself a single cabin (opposite their QG cabin) to sleep in and paid the solo supplment. 

Effectively, it's a paid for QG fare for 3 and an inside cabin for 1 booked, with the solo supplement paid.  It does work out more expensive, but that's the only way the 3rd person can dine in QG.

Edited by Lynnewob
  • Like 4

A few years ago we sailed on QM2 from Southampton to Cape Town. We were three adults in the same QG cabin. Each evening the steward made up the sofa bed and everything worked well.

The only problem we had was the bathroom. The shower was over the bath tub and my elderly mother clambering into and out of the tub to have a shower was a daily worry.

So three adults sharing one cabin is possible.

• Like 1