Some thoughts from Japan

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bazzaw said:

I am old and I don't know what a Ghibli is!! 

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

I’m old too. I’m guessing it’s nothing to do with a desert wind. Was there a car, a Maserati Ghibli?

It refers to Studio Ghibli whom one of the founders Hayao Miyazaki is considered one of the greatest film animators of all time. The clock itself was designed by Miyazaki and is stylistically similar one of his films Howl's Moving Castle. 

And yes the name does have something to do with hot desert wind as Miyazaki chose the name because he wanted to blow a wind of change in the anime industry😂

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

It refers to Studio Ghibli whom one of the founders Hayao Miyazaki is considered one of the greatest film animators of all time. The clock itself was designed by Miyazaki and is stylistically similar one of his films Howl's Moving Castle. 

I have seen at least part of Howl's Moving Castle when there’s been nothing else on TV. 

2 hours ago, bazzaw said:

I am old and I don't know what a Ghibli is!! But we saw this clock in our wanderings and saw that it played a few times per day so we came back at an appropriate time. I was more impressed by it's existence than by what it did. 🙂 But I have to admit that at my age, I am not easily impressed anymore.  What did impress me was that somebody paid for this installation for the public to see. We are both tight arsed and unimaginative in this country - if it doesn't produce a measurable positive  monetary outcome we don't want to know about  it!!!

We couldn't help but see it - the above ground exit from our hotel came our right opposite it. It was an unexpected delight.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

I have seen at least part of Howl's Moving Castle when there’s been nothing else on TV. 

Well if you get a chance to finish it, its well worth the watch. Though if there is one Miyazaki film if you're only going to watch one I feel everyone should see it would be Spirited Away. 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I think they are an acquired taste, bordering on almost weird. Much like fairytales from Europe or Persia.

Box office wise they do really well even Miyazaki's last film which was perhaps his weirdest. I remember one of the founders of Pixar said that they were modelling their studio on Ghibli which clearly was a winning strategy for them at least pre Disney😂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Well if you get a chance to finish it, its well worth the watch. Though if there is one Miyazaki film if you're only going to watch one I feel everyone should see it would be Spirited Away. 

My favourite of the few I have seen is My Neighbour Totoro

• Like 1