Anchorage To Seward Train - Seating Arrangements?

Robroy

We are on the Nova May 16th sailing from Seward - first time to Alaska. We have the train transfer to Seward with an overnight at Hotel Captain Cook the night before. I understand luggage will be trucked from the hotel to the ship and we will transfer from the hotel to the train in the morning. Wondering if seating on the train will be assigned or first-come first-serve? Also wondering if there is food/drink service as it's the private Silversea train and not the Alaska Railroad one. Believe it arrives around 6pm also.

Would appreciate input from anyone who has done this sailing before,

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 1

Seating is assigned. The train has bench seats, two per bench facing each other with a table in the middle. Not that comfortable. Some food and alcohol was available for purchase.

On 4/27/2024 at 6:54 PM, alithecat said:

Seating is assigned. The train has bench seats, two per bench facing each other with a table in the middle. Not that comfortable. Some food and alcohol was available for purchase.

I thought Silversea was offering food and champagne during the train journey ...

I recall getting a non-alcoholic drink and a chocolate chip cookie. We definitely had to pay when we ordered sandwiches for lunch. Others can chime in here.

9 hours ago, julmops said:

I thought Silversea was offering food and champagne during the train journey ...

No only paid food options. We found the train ride very long and boring.Would not do again.

Ii would have thought the scenery would be lovely and the opportunity to get up and walk around would be worthwhile. The only downside I saw was the late arrival to the ship. Wondering if it would be worth taking the bus instead to have an earlier arrival and similar scenery....has anyone done a switch from train to bus?

Cheers,

Rob

14 minutes ago, Robroy said:

Ii would have thought the scenery would be lovely and the opportunity to get up and walk around would be worthwhile. The only downside I saw was the late arrival to the ship. Wondering if it would be worth taking the bus instead to have an earlier arrival and similar scenery....has anyone done a switch from train to bus?

Cheers,

Rob

I'm on the May 16 Nova Alaska southbound. I've done the coach with other cruise lines twice. Have been on the Alaska Railroad before but not on the Anchorage to Seward route. My travel agent asked if I wanted to pay extra for the train and I said no. Part of the time the train tracks and the road are parallel to each other. I couldn't see doing the train for extra money as I don't think the scenery is all that different. Just my opinion.

34 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I'm on the May 16 Nova Alaska southbound. I've done the coach with other cruise lines twice. Have been on the Alaska Railroad before but not on the Anchorage to Seward route. My travel agent asked if I wanted to pay extra for the train and I said no. Part of the time the train tracks and the road are parallel to each other. I couldn't see doing the train for extra money as I don't think the scenery is all that different. Just my opinion.

34 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

The NON-Silversea train (which I took) has two classes. I took the cheaper one, which was adequately comfortable but a bit worn. The trip was "fine"; not great but "fine." I do not regret taking it but wouldn't choose to do a round trip.

You get to walk around a bit on the train and mine had an observation car. If it's not much longer than the bus I think it is a better choice than the bus.

Dealing card games with the old man in the club car,

Penny a point, ain't no one keeping' score.

There's the paper bag that holds the bottle -

And the steel wheels underneath the floor.  (From song, City of New Orleans)

For a more efficient transfer, take the bus.  If you are a romantic, take the train. I'm taking it from Anchorage to Seward, and then Seward to Anchorage, two weeks later.  But my DW & I are always up for doing things in the most antique, non-efficient ways.  

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 1:54 PM, alithecat said:

I assumed it would be GoldStar service for the silversea charter?  

• Like 1

We took the bus last year on our Muse July cruise. We were on the Muse eating lunch at 130pm. The folks that took the train were delayed and were not on the ship until after 5pm. Have a great trip.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Neilio said:

We took the bus last year on our Muse July cruise. We were on the Muse eating lunch at 130pm. The folks that took the train were delayed and were not on the ship until after 5pm. Have a great trip.

We are taking it from Seward to Anchorage. There will s no rush for us to get to the airport because our flight isn’t until almost Midnight. I just expected a premium experience like the Goldstar regular train. Especially since we paid extra to take it vs the bus. I do get car sick so probably better experience for me. 

12 hours ago, Lesley Nager said:

We are taking it from Seward to Anchorage. There will s no rush for us to get to the airport because our flight isn’t until almost Midnight. I just expected a premium experience like the Goldstar regular train. Especially since we paid extra to take it vs the bus. I do get car sick so probably better experience for me. 

I've not been on that potion of the railroad in Alaska, have just been between Talkeetna and Denali, but I'd think you might get more "car sick" on the train as it rocks a lot. Also, I was assigned to a bench that faces the back of the train, which makes it worse.