Name and gender change after final payment

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with what is involved with changing the name and gender of a passenger after final payment. The passenger is still the same person, they are currently in the process of changing their info. At the time of booking it was unknown if a name and gender marker change was going to happen but it definitely is. They really don't want to travel under the dead name. There will be a name change certificate. Extra fees are fine but I'm really hoping Oceania doesn't make us rebook, I'm happy with the deal we got. I asked our travel agent, they seemed to think it was more trouble than it was worth. Sadly, traveling under the dead name/gender is not going to be good for their mental health. This is for a 20th anniversary cruise so I want both of us to have a good time.

• Like 1

Better be talking to O and not CC posters . I would be traveling with a valid Passport because without it, you are not going anywhere. 
Enjoy your anniversary.

Mauibabes

• Like 7

To the best of my knowledge as long as one of the passengers on the original booking remains the same, then you can replace the other passenger in the booking with someone else, at least that's the way it used to be. I travel single, so replacing a traveling companion with another is something I have explored in the past. You should verify this is still the case with your TA or O, especially after the introduction of the administrative fee changes of late.

So with that said, yes their passport must match their name on the booking so that is paramount in order to travel and wait times may be an issue.

If all of the above is still the case then making a change should not be an issue whether it's a name/gender change to the existing passenger, or if that's an issue then for all intents and purposes cancelling your current traveling companion and adding your new traveling companion would work too. Again check with your TA and/or Oceania.

All the best on your 20th anniversary.

• Like 1

I am as sure as I can be that the name on O's reservation needs to match the passport name. I recall a lengthy discussion on a Tripadvisor forum relating to someone who had married fairly recently and had booked the holiday using their married surname but not updated their passport. 

One would think a name change would be easy with the circumstances at hand.  But you'd have to be 100% certain that the passport is in order and in hand.  Even thought I trust a good TA, I'd want to make a call to "O" and get everything in writing before you leave.

Hope you have a great cruise and the problem becomes reality for you.

• Like 5

Our first cruise was several months after our wedding and I was told to travel under my maiden name and with my existing passport. I recognize traveling under a dead name/gender is a different situation, charged with so many associated emotions. Hopefully, Oceania will recognize this and be able to guide you both to a solution that will not be triggering. After all, it is "your world, your way".

Happiest of anniversaries, I hope the cruise exceeds expectations and creates wonderful new memories. 

• Like 2

Thanks folks, once we know how time frames are going on the paperwork (i.e. passport wait times) I will give Oceania a call. Hopefully it can happen for them.

I'm sure it's going to be a great anniversary! Can't believe it's been 20 years already really. It looks to be a beautiful cruise, with great food, and fabulous shore excursions. All we can ask for really! We've not done a penthouse before, we decided to splurge on this one, so we are excited to be living it up on this one.

• Like 2

Whatever Oceania says, get it in writing. Also, do all your research into traveling with the new name/gender and the TSA/USA re-entry requirements as well as the entry requirements for the country of departure. Good Luck!