Naples vs Amalfi

450robin

Our ship will be stopping in Naples. We’ve already done Pompeii and also visited Positano and Sorrento. We can’t decide if we want to do a Amalfi coast boat tour to Amalfi or a guided tour in Naples. Any advice?

Thanks,

Angela

I have a strong bias here, but this is your trip and should fit your interests.

My personal opinion is that the Amalfi Coast is wildly overcrowded, to the point that it's often not enjoyable to be there.  I would avoid it anytime in July and August, and weekends from May through the end of October.

Plus it's a lot of effort and time to get there.

Naples, on the other hand, is chock full of art, history, culture, food, shopping ... pretty much anything you might be interested in other than small villages and those famous views.

One huge benefit of staying right in Naples is that you can pretty much walk everywhere and there's no need for a guide.

Some of my favorites in Naples include:

* The cloisters of Santa Chiara, an oasis of calm and beauty in the middle of the city:  Home - Chiostro di Santa Chiara (monasterodisantachiara.it)

* Museo and Cappella Sansevero, for the amazing Veiled Christ and other stunning sculptures:  The Sansevero Chapel | Sansevero Chapel Museum (museosansevero.it)

* Teatro San Carlo, a gem for music lovers (esp. opera):  Teatro di San Carlo - Napoli (teatrosancarlo.it)

* The Archaeology museum, one of the best in the world:  home – English|mann napoli (mann-napoli.it)

* San Martino certosa and museum, great location overlooking the port, it's worth it just for the trip up there (funicolare and public escalators) but especially for the collection of presipi, the nativity scenes Naples is famous for.  This is not the official website, which only works during Italian working hours for unknown reasons, but this gives you some info:  Museo e Certosa di San Martino - Musei di Napoli (museinapoli.it)

* Underground Naples - there is a rich history undergound, from thousands of years ago right up to WWII, when residents lived down there during bombing raids:  Home - Napoli Sotterranea

• Thanks 1

Totally agree!  I would do Napoli.  So much there and to see as stated above!!

We were just there on a cruise and took the day to see Napoli - absolutely a fantastic experience.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I also would vote to explore Naples.  I’ve done 3 of the 4 things on euro cruiser’s list above and will add that I found them all enjoyable too.  I have not been to the theatre.  Perhaps next time. 

If you want more archeology, a visit to Herculaneum is also very well worth it. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, 450robin said:

We’ve already done Pompeii

I also suggest either Herculaneum which is very different from Pompeii but interesting in a different way, also smaller, so much less tiring than Pompeii, or staying in Naples which we have twice explored without the need for any guide.

You could google something like "self guided walking tour of Naples"  or "historic Naples self guided walking tour" and follow one or two of the routes or adapt to your own interests and doing that means you can go at your own pace.Can also recommend gyupsmycity which should appear in search results. And do include a visit to the Archaeological Museum where many of the finds from Pompeii are displayed.

Info and images on Herculaneum and Naples easily found online to help you decide. The usual Tripadvisor, Frommer's, Fodors, YouTube, Rick Steves and others. when you google "Tourist information Naples" or similar.

Past threads for Naples, some of which you may want to browse for info and ideas.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=naples&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=464

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1