Clothing options night 1 Alaska cruise

Are jeans allowed in MDR on first night Alaskan cruise. Also is there a dressy night on Alaska cruises?

Yes, jeans are fine but not torn or dirty ones. They are lenient on the first evening as some folks will not get luggage before dinner. The "dressy" nights will probably be on at sea days. Two nights per seven day cruise.

• Like 1

Jeans are permitted every night in the MDR on nearly every cruise, except grand world voyages, which have true formal nights.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

From HAL website FAQ's:

Q: Are jeans allowed? 

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Dressy Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants. 

Casual dining restaurant(s) are the Lido, Dive In, Pizza, etc. The MDR is not.   

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Boatdrill said:

From HAL website FAQ's:

Q: Are jeans allowed? 

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Dressy Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants. 

Casual dining restaurant(s) are the Lido, Dive In, Pizza, etc. The MDR is not.   

That is a website blurb. Reality is what I've witnessed onboard, and I've seen plenty of jeans in the MDR on "dressy/gala/prom" night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In practice Alaska tends to be more casual, because there are usually only two sea days and days in ports can be long. If you go out of Seattle, the ship doesn't get into Victoria until 8 pm the final evening, so most people want to eat and get off the ship. More luggage space is taken up with cold-weather clothing also, so less room for fancy wear. My own practice is to wear Dockers jeans or some other kind that are black or gray, which look like regular pants, so I'm not judged. For Alaska, the first night should be even more casual, since you're sailing out the beautiful Puget Sound or up the inside passage of Vancouver, in summer with long days, so people like me want to be outside enjoying the scenery, not dressing up. 

• Like 4

On 5/1/2024 at 2:22 PM, julia said:

That is a website blurb. Reality is what I've witnessed onboard, and I've seen plenty of jeans in the MDR on "dressy/gala/prom" night.

Yes, it's "a website blurb". Not from a travel website, but from Holland America Line, in an attempt to provide guidance to their guests who want to know what to pack, and what is acceptable attire onboard. It's provided by HAL out of respect and as a courtesy for their guests, so their guests will not find themselves in an awkward situation. 

As the saying goes, your mileage may vary (YMMV). Your reality is one thing, mine is another. I have never seen "plenty of jeans" in the MDR on dressy night. Perhaps the seating has something to do with it ? We're late seating, at 8pm.

• Like 3

When I first quickly read the title on this thread I thought it said "Clothing optional night 1 Alaska cruise" and I immediately thought now why didn't I book that cruise? Then I realized that I may need to book an eye doctor appointment instead! 😉Screenshot2024-05-04195542.png.adf58e10aa20fbbafb7790d9ef4223fd.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Destiny0315 said:

When I first quickly read the title on this thread I thought it said "Clothing optional night 1 Alaska cruise"

Ha ha!!  I did the same thing!!  🙄

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Destiny0315 said:

When I first quickly read the title on this thread I thought it said "Clothing optional night 1 Alaska cruise" and I immediately thought now why didn't I book that cruise? Then I realized that I may need to book an eye doctor appointment instead! 😉Screenshot2024-05-04195542.png.adf58e10aa20fbbafb7790d9ef4223fd.png

Thought it was just me! 😂

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Crashe said:

Thought it was just me! 😂

HAHA me too! I thought, "Oh wow, I had no idea Holland America was doing that sort of cruise!" 😁😆😇

Edited by sdingrambc
spelling