Onboard charges to a USD credit card from a Canadian bank

I'm wondering if I registered a US visa card from my Canadian bank for onboard purchases would it be converted to Canadian $ then back to USD. Not sure if the system would recognize it as a US card since its registered in Canada. Trying to avoid the foreign FX fee. Hoping someone who has been in this situation would know. 

Posted (edited)

I do it all the time. Charges to all cards are posted in USD and it is up to your institution to do the conversion if required. Your Canadian USD Visa will be charged in USD just like when you use it on land in the US.

Edited by RTShaker
  • Thanks 1

Same here.  USD  Visa from RBC.  It is cheaper to buy US dollars here to pay off credit card  than to use cruiseline rate or have US amount charged to a Canadian dollar credit card.  If you use a Canadian dollar credit card, charge US to it, you pay coversion rate plus about a 2 .5% fee. 

Posted (edited)

Do you have the Roger's World Elite Mastercard? They charge a 2.5% conversion fee, but the card offers 3% cashback on USD purchases, so you end up with a bit extra in your pocket after all is said and done. 

Edited by Rabblefish

Actually they ask whether your card should be charged in USD or in your local currency. If you opt for local currency X is charging you another 3% conversion fee. So if your card has a 2.5 % conversion fee USD is the better option. Actually with my German card I would have to pay the 3 % charged by X plus the conversion fee of my credit card (as the credit card doesn´t mind which currency the charge is made but that it´s made by a non Euro bank).

steamboats

6 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Get a Home trust card for traveling, no 2.5% conversion fee and 1% cash back , no annual fee

https://www.hometrust.ca/credit-cards/compare-cards/

I also have the home trust visa which I am considering canceling now. Just returned from a TA on the Ascent on Saturday. Last week tried to put a rather large purchase on it and it wouldn't go through. Called several different numbers and finally reached a foreign country who said it would take 10 business days get an increase in line of credit approved so put balance on my TD first class visa. 

7 hours ago, Rabblefish said:

Do you have the Roger's World Elite Mastercard? They charge a 2.5% conversion fee, but the card offers 3% cashback on USD purchases, so you end up with a bit extra in your pocket after all is said and done. 

No I use TD Canada trust and now have the US visa card but in order to avoid monthly fees and waive annual fee you must keep 3K in a borderless account at all times.  It used to be 5K so obviously they've lowered it.  

1 hour ago, mahasamatman said:

No cash back for foreign transactions.

You are correct just read disclosure statement and it says foreign  currency transactions not eligible for cash back. 

We also use the $US Dollar Visa card from RBC and have for years. The fee is only USD$65 per year and that’s it. We also maintain a $USD bank account to facilitate the payment of any outstanding credit card balances.

With the fluctuating Canadian Dollar, we are able to take advantage of any strength by purchasing US Dollars along the way and building up account balances to prepare, as best as we can, for any and all upcoming cruises. We are not concerned with the rate of return on the bank account, but rather, reducing the risk of having to purchase a lump sum of US Dollars just before final payment on any cruise. Our last major USD purchase for the bank account was when the $CAD was .85USD. So far, we’re good till the end of 2025.

This works for us.

Randy

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

We also use the $US Dollar Visa card from RBC and have for years. The fee is only USD$65 per year and that’s it. We also maintain a $USD bank account to facilitate the payment of any outstanding credit card balances.

With the fluctuating Canadian Dollar, we are able to take advantage of any strength by purchasing US Dollars along the way and building up account balances to prepare, as best as we can, for any and all upcoming cruises. We are not concerned with the rate of return on the bank account, but rather, reducing the risk of having to purchase a lump sum of US Dollars just before final payment on any cruise. Our last major USD purchase for the bank account was when the $CAD was .85USD. So far, we’re good till the end of 2025.

This works for us.

Randy

We do the same thing.   

Posted (edited)

If you have a Borderless Account with TD ,there are no Annual Fees for a $US TD Credit Card. 

Just give Celebrity your TD $US card and have all charges applied to that card, then pay off the card from your Borderless Account ( $US ).

Edited by Pinboy
Forgot a point
  • Like 2