Cruising as a group on Silversea - Dining

Stickman1990

Currently on the Silver Muse and there is a lot of enjoy but I’m curious as to others experience on Silversea when traveling with groups? - our group is 4 couples so 8 cruising friends and we’ve found their ability to cope with our group at dining venues a challenge

We’re yet to find a slot at Atlantide where they can accommodate 8 (in fact on formal night they couldn’t even accomodate 2 guests) - as they won’t take reservations it seems almost impossible to secure a table if 8 unless we camp out and are first in line at 7pm opening, the table they offered at La Terrazza for our booking for 8 was an over crowded table of 6 (we gave up on that as it would never have accommodated even the anti pasta trays) - we ended up sitting at two tables of four. Indochine can accomodate you at the long raised table. The Grill can accomodate a group at the tables near the entrance 

It’s just so different to what we’ve experienced on Crystal and Regent where a group table of 8 at almost every venue is no problem 

I’ve raised if with the restaurant manager who doesn’t seem to see it as an issue so I can’t see a resolution to accomodating a group of 8 so wondered if others had more luck and can share the approach they used? 

Surely in these days of groups traveling together or multi generational family groups Silversea has proven better at providing group seating?

It’s certainly a problem on the Muse at present but wasn’t on our cruise on her last October. Both the Restaurant Manager and the Maitre’D last month insisted that Atlantide and Indochine are no booking restaurants so you can’t book for 8 which is the maximum table size in Atlantide. The Maitre’D in Indochine however if you told him the night before would say we will keep an area aside for you although he would say it is not a booking. We always got a table for 8 not the big table. 

In October if you asked the Restaurant Manager by about 4 pm you would get one of the tables for 8 in Atlantide. Though you couldn’t do that on formal nights as those tables were used for hosted tables.

So it seems to be a particular manager problem. So mention it in the mid cruise and final surveys as I did. I also complained to the HD with no result other than no invitation to a hosted table for the first time ever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree it’s up to the Atlantide Maître d’.  On Dawn last year we frequently had a group of 8 solos use the large table.  One of us would ask at lunchtime and he would keep it for us.  Otherwise we would make sure to be there at 7pm. Not formal night, as @drron29 explained.  The 8-top is otherwise left empty or used as a share table.

• Thanks 1

Though for this Muse cruise the Maitre'D of Atlantide said you have to ask the restaurant manager the first time we asked. The change came from higher up. As well although the Maitre'D in Indochine kept a table for us he did say it wasn't a reservation.

I was told by both the HD and restaurant manager that as Atlantide and Indochine were listed as no reservation required tables could not be reserved. I replied that not required doesn't mean can't be done. They didn't agree saying that if someone turned up and requested the table we may have reserved before we arrived they would have to seat them there. Absolute rubbish.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your advice

Pleased to say we dined last night in Atlantide at an oval table of 8 - after a discussion with the Restaurant Manager at lunch time we were expected at a certain time that evening. We enjoyed a lovely meal and chat

Fingers crossed we have this resolved now - we are lucky enough to have another 22 days onboard

• Like 5

On 5/4/2024 at 4:08 PM, drron29 said:

I also complained to the HD with no result other than no invitation to a hosted table for the first time ever.

That will teach you for being a trouble-maker!!

1389887782000-soup-nazi.jpg

• Haha 4

On 5/5/2024 at 4:07 AM, drron29 said:

Though for this Muse cruise the Maitre'D of Atlantide said you have to ask the restaurant manager the first time we asked. The change came from higher up. As well although the Maitre'D in Indochine kept a table for us he did say it wasn't a reservation.

I was told by both the HD and restaurant manager that as Atlantide and Indochine were listed as no reservation required tables could not be reserved. I replied that not required doesn't mean can't be done. They didn't agree saying that if someone turned up and requested the table we may have reserved before we arrived they would have to seat them there. Absolute rubbish.

That smells of complete incompetence. If they don’t know how to manage the tables, they’re in the wrong job.

When we were on the Muse 12 months ago, we know same tables were reserved for same guests, which was confirmed by the guests themselves.

• Like 2

With hindsight it seems the first few days are very unsettled and little disorganised - we’re now on day 6 and things seems to have settled down and tables for 8 are able to be provided - in my view a lot of the hassle could have been avoided with better communications 

I think either the Restaurant manager or the HD was leaving in Yokohama when we got off on April 17th but not completely sure.

• Thanks 1

I think it took a few days to settle down and a rhythm to develop in terms of dining times and surges of guests 

In the last few days we seem to have enjoyed a more managed environment for group dining 

• Like 1