Getting to lax

our departure flight time was just changed to 1030 am do you think we can make it on a sunday from the port of la to lax and still make our flight or do i need to change it? 

4 minutes ago, coopster said:

our departure flight time was just changed to 1030 am do you think we can make it on a sunday from the port of la to lax and still make our flight or do i need to change it? 

LAX is probably the worst port if you need to get off the ship quick. I definitely would change it.

31 minutes ago, coopster said:

You need to be off the ship by 8:00. Traffic to the airport can be bad. Traffic in the airport worse. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You need to be off the ship by 8:00. Traffic to the airport can be bad. Traffic in the airport worse. 

i know it is not ideal but we are going to do self carry off 

Edited by coopster

5 minutes ago, coopster said:

It's less than ideal.  I would definitely change to a later flight.  After a fun relaxing cruise why end it with a stressful situation.  You could end up with a really crappy flight.

Posted (edited)

This morning the commute time from San Pedro to LAX is 35 minutes according to google maps.  Lets assume you'll walk off with all your luggage at exactly 8AM. Clear customs by 8:30.  Catch an uber at 8:40,  Arrive at the airport at 9:15.  You might make the flight.  Seems risky to me.

Edited by davencl

1 hour ago, davencl said:

You might make the flight.

Luggage might not, though.  There's a cut-off for luggage drop-off at the desk, after that they can't assure the bags will make the flight.

you will make it to LAX, but you may not make to to your gate on time.  Sunday traffic is light

( usually). Might take about 25-30 min to get to LAX.  Getting to your gate and going thru security s what might be the issue

LAX, once you reach the terminal just sucks.  I've seen lines out the door and down a half block.  And then it has to be repeated just to get through security then. 

19 hours ago, coopster said:

All that saves you is maybe 15-20 mins. You still have to wait for the ship to be cleared, wait to disembark, walk through the maze to get from the ship, through the terminal, through customs, and outside to hail an Uber/Lyft/taxi/car service. Then the drive to the airport, the check-in for the flight, possibly checking bags there, security, walk to the gate....

You also didn't mention where the cruise is traveling to/through. A short trip with just a handful of 'normal' stops will have a faster customs line to get through than a 15+ day Panama Canal transit.