What are bed pillows made of

I tried searching but couldn't find anywhere that mentioned the content of the bed pillows.  My head gets stopped up if I sleep on feather or down pillows or use down comforters.  Does anyone know if the Pillows on the Royal Princess are polyester or foam or something other than feathers or down?  We'll be in a Balcony cabin if that makes a difference.

It's not something I thought to check on until last summer when we were in 5 star hotels on a tour of Alaska and I found down pillows on the bed.

4 minutes ago, PR-Texas said:

I tried searching but couldn't find anywhere that mentioned the content of the bed pillows.  My head gets stopped up if I sleep on feather or down pillows or use down comforters.  Does anyone know if the Pillows on the Royal Princess are polyester or foam or something other than feathers or down?  We'll be in a Balcony cabin if that makes a difference.

It's not something I thought to check on until last summer when we were in 5 star hotels on a tour of Alaska and I found down pillows on the bed.

We’ve always had 2 pillows that are feather and two that are hypoallergenic pillows.  You can switch out the ones you don’t want.

The website says:

Deluxe pillow options (feather or non-allergenic micro fiber)

For those with allergies to feathers or down, such as myself, vacuum-packing my pillow from home is the best way to ensure I don't have any issues.  Several times there have been all feather or down pillows and I have not been able to get any hypoallergenic replacements from housekeeping.  With the pillow vacuum-packed it is flat and takes up little to no room in a suitcase.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What a great idea. I thought of taking my own pillow but never thought of vacuum packing it.  That makes so much sense.  Since we're doing a cruisetour with land portion in Australia followed by cruise to New Zealand my issue will be with the hotels on the land portion as well as the cruise. A roll up vacuum pack will solve that problem.

Edited by PR-Texas

27 minutes ago, BabySarge said:

For those with allergies to feathers or down, such as myself, vacuum-packing my pillow from home is the best way to ensure I don't have any issues.  Several times there have been all feather or down pillows and I have not been able to get any hypoallergenic replacements from housekeeping.  With the pillow vacuum-packed it is flat and takes up little to no room in a suitcase.

Or simply bring a zip up pillow cover

Unfortunately zip up pillow covers don't always eliminate the issue.  I'll vacuum pack my pillow and be certain.  Depending on how successful I am at packing lite, I may vacuum pack two of them so both of us have the right pillow.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PR-Texas said:

Unfortunately zip up pillow covers don't always eliminate the issue.  I'll vacuum pack my pillow and be certain.  Depending on how successful I am at packing lite, I may vacuum pack two of them so both of us have the right pillow.

I assume you would have to ask your steward for the use of their vacuum cleaner so that you could pack them flat again to take them home.

Some are called Hand Roll Up Travel Compression Bags that don't need a vacuum. It's possible they don't squish down quite as well as the vacuum ones but they come close.  Others come with a small hand pump vacuum that wouldn't take us too much room to pack. 

• Like 1

I just ordered some Vacuum Storage bags from Amazon that come with a small hand pump.  They have free returns so I'll see how hard it is to use the hand pump and how large it really is.  I'm guessing that there are other things that we're packing that could be smished to take up less space as long as smishing doesn't cause wrinkles.  Ordering now gives me plenty of time to test out what works and what doesn't.

I too am allergic to feathers/down. Used to be able to request poly pillows when making cabin choices/request. No longer option but stewerd has always been able to replace 2 feather pillows. Comforter not down.

Have also made request at all hotels and confirmed on check in. Never an issue but hospitality industry seems more cautious dealing with allergies.