Switching from credit card to cash account after check in

Hi:

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this situation. In 2019 when we cruised with Royal I could simply select cash account and continue with the check in process. As i understand it now i need to enter a CC number otherwise i'll have to check in at the pier. I did see on the Royal FAQ section though it says you can enter a CC during check in and the switch to a cash account either in the app or online, thus eliminating the need to go to guest services once on board. Has anyone done this? How does it work and where in the app do you do the switch? Do you need to wait a certain amount of time or can you go back immediately after getting a boarding pass and switch it out? I just would like to avoid having to wait in line at the pier or onboard to change over to cash. Thanks for any advice!

1 hour ago, krusso80 said:

Hi:

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this situation. In 2019 when we cruised with Royal I could simply select cash account and continue with the check in process. As i understand it now i need to enter a CC number otherwise i'll have to check in at the pier. I did see on the Royal FAQ section though it says you can enter a CC during check in and the switch to a cash account either in the app or online, thus eliminating the need to go to guest services once on board. Has anyone done this? How does it work and where in the app do you do the switch? Do you need to wait a certain amount of time or can you go back immediately after getting a boarding pass and switch it out? I just would like to avoid having to wait in line at the pier or onboard to change over to cash. Thanks for any advice!

I do cash account all the time. When you get to the pier, whomever checks you in (one of the roaming workers with the I-Pads), just tell them to remove your card and that’s the end of it. 

ok that sounds good. i was just wondering if there was a way to do it on your own via the app or website. The FAQ seems to say that but not sure if that info is correct.

1 hour ago, krusso80 said:

i was just wondering if there was a way to do it on your own via the app or website.

No, there's usually no option at all for cash during check in - that was removed years ago.

Just leave the card in place and last night of cruise go to guest services and pay any balance you have in cash.

It's not really a switch.  Just pay off your bill at Guest Services before the cruise is over.

I do this but I worry about fake charges after I get home. I've been hit with a few and I didn't call to contest, wasn't worth my time. If I simply pay off my balance at the end of the cruise, they have my CC number to erroneously charge for pool towels etc.

That's what I worry about too. That's why I like the cash account.  My mother got charged post cruise for missing robes on Holland america. They attendant never put them in the room and after the cruise they were marked as missing and my mom was charged. She eventually got a refund but it took over a year! 

1 hour ago, wolfcathorse said:

I do this but I worry about fake charges after I get home. I've been hit with a few and I didn't call to contest, wasn't worth my time. If I simply pay off my balance at the end of the cruise, they have my CC number to erroneously charge for pool towels etc.

People report this, but in over 40 cruises, we've never been charged for anything we didn't purchase after the cruise.  A couple of bad charges while still onboard, but those are easily fixed.  A couple of pool towels and a drink or two, but never any afterward.