Starting in Barcelona- can we get off after check in?

Hi-

I am on the Legend May 30th cruise from Barcelona. Ship is in after dry dock and not scheduled to depart until 7pm. 

Anyone know if you are allowed off the ship after checking in/boarding? Some ports allow, some do not.

Also, since the ship will have no passengers due to being in dry dock is boarding begins about the same general time as other cruises?

Thanks!!

Posted (edited)

We've sailed out of Barcelona 3 times all pre-COVID, however yes,we  were able to check-in and leave the ship, though we did not leave the port terminal building. Our goal was to grab wine and liquor from a store in the terminal, to bring back onboard which we were able to do. Not sure if this is still the case, but good chance it is.

I don't recall our scheduled departure times, but do recall boarding was much like other cruises we've done. While 2 of the ships we sailed were brand new builds, I believe prior to the TA they did a handful of Mediterranean cruises. Other TA was after the Destiny was converted to the Sunshine, and I think Sunshine did a few Med cruises also. 

Edit: Just noticed we're almost neighbors!!

Edited by bar1068
added content

You can, but be careful if you leave the terminal. Traffic and construction can be a problem getting back to the terminal. Allow plenty of time.

I wouldn't plan on early boarding. I would plan on many people showing up before their appointment time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

You can, but be careful if you leave the terminal. Traffic and construction can be a problem getting back to the terminal. Allow plenty of time.

I wouldn't plan on early boarding. I would plan on many people showing up before their appointment time.

This was our experience in Barcelona as well.  We started two cruises from there.  While it flowed well, people came when they wanted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

I had the hotel watch my suitcase while I went on a hop on hop off bus tour. I boarded like 3pm and was about the only person in the terminal. 

You do get your monies worth when you cruise.  Kudos to you

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

You do get your monies worth when you cruise.  Kudos to you

That wasn’t in the plan but I was stuck in the airport for like five hours the day before due to a baggage delay. So I had to make up that time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

That wasn’t in the plan but I was stuck in the airport for like five hours the day before due to a baggage delay. So I had to make up that time.

Still counts.  The first time we flew into BCN for a cruise the customs officials went on strike.   One customs agent for half the airport.  4 hours to get thru

Be very cautious with your personal belongs in Barcelona, especially in the Las Ramblas tourist area and its market stalls. 

Love the city and would happily return but I was very glad I was using a travel purse with steel cable in the strap, locking mechanisms on the zippered compartments, etc.  It is the only place I've ever had pickpockets even try...they scraped paint of a locking mechanism and failed to gain entry.  However, they did slice off my Purell bottle in its little plastic holder.