Shore excursions, included versus optional

CJANDH

2 hours ago, dlh015 said:

That is interesting. On our Egypt river cruise, a couple ports have two 'included' excursions and we've been able to reserve both. They are, of course, at different times and don't cancel each other out.

I shall keep this in mind when our VO cruise excursions open up...

I think river and ocean cruises are very different in this regard. We don’t care too much if it is only one on ocean but would be very disappointed if only one per day on the Nile. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wine-wine-wine said:

I think river and ocean cruises are very different in this regard. We don’t care too much if it is only one on ocean but would be very disappointed if only one per day on the Nile. 

We went on multiple on River with Viking.

When we booked in advance we chose one or two per day depending on what times were available, but when we boarded we were on more...  more meaning that they just put us on additional excursions without advance notice.  We just received the tickets.

Not sure if they were additional included, or what they were.  We did not investigate, we just went. 

• Like 1

On the May 31, 2024 Into the  Midnight Sun, there are three ports with 2 included excursions:

Bergen: Panoramic Bergen (bus), and Bergen on Foot (walking)

Lofoten: Panoramic Lofoten by Land & Sea (boat tour and bus), and Panoramic Lofoten (bus)

Tromso: Panoramic Tromso (bus), and Tromso on Foot (walking)

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

The day before at the Port Talk, speak with the Shore Excursions manager right after the talk - don't wait until the day of.

If there is room, the port talks generally foster some interest and you may lose a spot if you wait.  They will sign you up immediately and charge your stateroom account.

Thankfully, all our Iceland excursions are booked. I was just surprised when there were two included tours in Heimaey & they would only allow one to be booked on MVJ.  When talking with our Viking TA, she said that this is common & may change as we get closer to sail date.  (We did have an early booking slot).  She also suggested checking with the shore excursions desk once onboard if I wanted to do both. (In reality, it might become a spa afternoon.)

Edited by 2cruisecats

23 minutes ago, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

On the May 31, 2024 Into the  Midnight Sun, there are three ports with 2 included excursions:

Lofoten: Panoramic Lofoten by Land & Sea (boat tour and bus), and Panoramic Lofoten (bus)

Yes, we had the same excursion options on our Midnight Sun cruise. It was nice as it allowed those with limited mobility to enjoy those ports with the panoramic option, v little walking. I was still recovering from a broken ankle when we did that cruise & switched to the Panoramic Lofoten to give my ankle a rest -- it was a great excursion, nothing "lame" about it!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/12/2024 at 11:00 AM, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

This thread has been so helpful for us newbies.  I'm delighted to learn that on your cruise there were 2 included options in Lofoten Islands. I had started to research/contact a few private companies to evaluate "small group" tour options there. If not too much trouble, would you share the descriptions of the 2 included options, either here or on the cruise port thread?  Would love to see the details. Thanks all!          

On 6/11/2024 at 12:41 PM, Islander500 said:

This thread has been so helpful for us newbies.  I'm delighted to learn that on your cruise there were 2 included options in Lofoten Islands. I had started to research/contact a few private companies to evaluate "small group" tour options there. If not too much trouble, would you share the descriptions of the 2 included options, either here or on the cruise port thread?  Would love to see the details. Thanks all!          

When we were in Lofoten with Viking we had an absolutely fantastic 6 hour tour with Lofoten Lights.  If I remember correctly, the Viking included tour just went into town.  We were so glad we got a more expansive tour as the traveling around the island was stunning.

We have been on quite a few Viking cruises and we have very low expectations for their included tours.  We typically book outside tours when they are available or otherwise pay the premium Viking charges for their optional offering.  Every once in a while the included tours are good though.

23 hours ago, slewis7 said:

When we were in Lofoten with Viking we had an absolutely fantastic 6 hour tour with Lofoten Lights.  If I remember correctly, the Viking included tour just went into town.  We were so glad we got a more expansive tour as the traveling around the island was stunning.

We have been on quite a few Viking cruises and we have very low expectations for their included tours.  We typically book outside tours when they are available or otherwise pay the premium Viking charges for their optional offering.  Every once in a while the included tours are good though.

Thanks @slewis7 

On the prívate excursion, did you have enough cruisers in your travel group or did you find others to join you on the roll call? I’ve done that often but have never been on Viking.  Is it mostly the same with other cruisers willing to join a small (6-8) private tour group? 

1 hour ago, Islander500 said:

Thanks @slewis7 

On the prívate excursion, did you have enough cruisers in your travel group or did you find others to join you on the roll call? I’ve done that often but have never been on Viking.  Is it mostly the same with other cruisers willing to join a small (6-8) private tour group? 

We just booked for the 2 of us.  It was well worth it, but we had splendid weather which helped,

Have others sailing with Viking booked a prívate excursion and then found other cruisers willing to share the smaller group excursion (through cruise critic roll calls, for example)?  Is that done on VIKING cruises or do most people just prefer to book through the cruise line? I like small prívate tours so tend to prefer that.  Just curious if booking privately expecting to share cost by finding 2 or 3 couples to join is advisable. 

3 hours ago, Islander500 said:

Have others sailing with Viking booked a prívate excursion and then found other cruisers willing to share the smaller group excursion (through cruise critic roll calls, for example)?  Is that done on VIKING cruises or do most people just prefer to book through the cruise line? I like small prívate tours so tend to prefer that.  Just curious if booking privately expecting to share cost by finding 2 or 3 couples to join is advisable. 

Absolutely. Inquire of other travelers in your roll call. Generally, on every cruise, we do a mix of included, optional, & private tours with others on our roll call. Your can research private tours or someone else may organize them. Go for it!

4 hours ago, Islander500 said:

We personally have never done this with others but see this in roll calls frequently.

I don't think that Viking guests are opposed to doing this.  We have certainly met people on both Viking ocean and river that are doing private tours.

I just think that you are taking a risk booking for a larger number if you cannot find the other couples in the end to join you.

When we have booked private tours, we do so where we can join as a couple - regardless of the cost - and not depend on finding others.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 1:41 PM, Islander500 said:

Sorry for the delay as we just got home from an incredible cruise!  You're going to love it!

Here's the info you requested:

Panoramic Lofoten by Land & Sea Duration: 3.00 Hours Price: Included Date: June 04, 2024 08:30 AM Sold Out, 09:00 AM Sold Out, 01:00 PM Sold Out, 01:30 PM Limited Availability Majestic Fjords and Dramatic Landscapes -- Board your boat at the pier and after a short safety briefing, you will head out into the pristine waters of the fjord. Sit back and relax as you take in the stunning views of the rugged coastline along Leknes’s shores and admire the tranquil beauty of your surroundings. You may even be fortunate enough to catch a glimpse of the local wildlife; the fjord is home to seals and various species of birds. Arrive in the picturesque village of Henningsvær, where you will begin your journey on land, stopping at some of the archipelago’s most well-loved viewpoints. Torvdalshalsen or Rørvikstranda are popular spots for keen photographers to capture the spectacular vistas of the picturesque villages that dot the coastline and dramatic scenery around them

Panoramic Lofoten Duration: 2.50 Hours Price: Included Date: June 04, 2024 08:45 AM Available, 11:45 AM Available, 02:45 PM Available Majestic Mountains and Fishing Villages of the Lofoten Islands -- Travel among the majestic mountains and fishing villages of the beautiful Lofoten Islands on this excursion. Enjoy the vistas on the island of Vestvågøy, dominated by tall, steep mountains with wide, green valleys and fishing villages in between, as well as white-sand beaches. From Leknes, your motor coach will transport you to Einangen, where you will stop to admire views of Leknes, your ship and the rugged mountains in the distance. Take a coastal route along the Storfjorden, passing isolated homes and sheltered inlets. Continue your scenic drive, passing through the heart of the island en route to Unstad. Stop at a viewpoint, marveling at the beautiful stretch of white sand surrounded by lush green hills and mountains. Admire your surroundings as waves from the Norwegian Sea lap against the shore. Board your coach and relax as you return to Leknes and your ship

Edited by BlairsvilleCruiseGirl
typo
  • Thanks 1

To BlairsvilleCruiseGirl—-

Hello from another cruise girl from Blairsville!!  I’d love to touch base and see if we know each other. Do e-mail me at my cruise address:

2thesea2thesea at gmail dot com

Will share our full names and info on that site. 

Barb

We are getting ready for our cruise to the fjords of Norway and excited to find this thread. We will be on Holland America’s Rotterdam instead of Viking Ocean, and I hope we won’t be disappointed. Love Viking, but have also loved HAL in past years. Hope it hasn’t changed too much. I’d love to be having Viking’s included excursions!  The ones on HAL are exorbitant!!  I’m going to go back and read this whole thread and hope to find some good port info. 

Barb

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

Sorry for the delay as we just got home from an incredible cruise!  You're going to love it!

These look great, thanks @BlairsvilleCruiseGirl

I tried to get this info from Viking and have been told twice that they have emailed it but I have not received it (not even in the junk folder.) Much appreciated!

If any one has participated in either of these included excursions, can you tell me around the number of passengers in each of them? Just trying to get an idea of the size of the tour group.  TY  

On 6/16/2024 at 12:55 AM, Islander500 said:

A lot of the ports on the Midnight Sun cruise have private operators who do not require you to find others to help defray the costs.  You just sign up as a couple or whatever and the tour operator takes responsibility for filling the remaining seats.  Of course there is usually a minimum number of passengers required to have the tour operate that day.  If the minimum is not reached your money/deposit is refunded so it's good to have a back-up plan.  The tour mentioned above operated by Lofoton Lights is one such tour.  We opted for this instead of the included tour by Viking since we will spend two or three times the amount of time in an area that hopefully will be the highlight of the trip.

• Like 1